Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

I don't know is this is old in comparison to this thread  but I have a Intel celeron PGA 370 from 1999. 

Ps: 

If anyone wants the whole motherboard for some nostalgic effect, I can sell it too you with other parts that came with the pc too, reply to the message if you would want it 

IMG_1807.jpg

On 1/11/2017 at 11:22 PM, Emberstone said:

After thinking a little bit about the age of my own system, I started to wonder what other experiences people have had with their computers/components that simply won't die, or simply won't stop being awesome despite their age.

For context, my PC is on the X58 platform and is rocking 3x4GB of DDR3 in triple channel and an i7-980X overclocked to 4.0 GHz. As with my Q6600 + SLI 8800 GT rig before it, I expected this computer to start falling behind a year or two after its birth, but graphics card aside, it hasn't. The 980X, a seven-year-old CPU, continues to be faithful to this day. Cities: Skylines runs great and Doom never seems to drop below 120 fps. The GTX 1070 is allowed to reach max GPU usage and the CPU barely breaks a sweat. If Ryzen doesn't provide a big upgrade at a decent price, this computer will continue to live on for the years to come assuming nothing breaks.

I couldn't be happier with this thing, to the point where I have an emotional attachment to it and the level of performance it provides after all these years. I've had it for so long (since early 2010), I don't want to see it go when the time comes!

So yeah, do any of you folks have any old, reliable hardware you've fallen in love with over the years?

Mine is holding up better than I expected, although it's not as old. I'm curious to see how long it will continue to last. I really wish we'd get to the point where we can get 120hz IPS 4k panels at a decent price.

I do perform yearly maintenance on the water cooling loop, or at least that has been the trend.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 8/2/2018 at 3:29 PM, TheRandomness said:

Can I just drop a casual reminder:

Please do not quote images, just for other people's courtesy.

You're supposed to delete the picture and type -snip.

Has forum etiquette fallen so low?

Edit: For some reason, your post showed up as "recommended", I assumed it was a recent post lol.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

sometimes you really get old original stuff...

Pentium1.jpg

Win95.jpg

On 6/4/2020 at 9:36 PM, Bitter said:

How about Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing? I hated that program, I still don't type 'right' but it works well enough and quickly enough for me!

I wasn't inside the Acer much at all, I thought it had a PCI slot because at one point we had a 10Base2 network card when we got ONE MEGABIT cable internet for a while. Since I'm pretty sure it had a PCI slot I'm also fairly sure it was Socket 7. It might have been a Cyrix CPU, I vaguely remember no thermal paste and a golden CPU under the heatsink with fan.

Heard that waaayyyy too many times when something got goofed up and my dad would re-install Windows with the Acer recovery media.

Uhg I listened to that video and was glad it was over haha. Must have been annoying having that come up after reinstall.

I kinda remember Mavis beacon, didn't use it much growing up but have it installed on a few of my old machines. I don't mind it for practice, and because I like my old clicky keyboard 😜

Makes sense for the socket 7 in the Acer as well, I'm not aware of a gold top 486 but yes I believe cyrix ones had it and I think a few pentiums. Might have been some k5s that had the gold color heat spreaders as well.

Oh man 1mbit internet... Blazing in its day. I remember waiting 20+ minutes for a few meg download for a object for the sims etc on 56k dialup. Of course it never was 56k, more like 20 😂

15 minutes ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Uhg I listened to that video and was glad it was over haha. Must have been annoying having that come up after reinstall.

I kinda remember Mavis beacon, didn't use it much growing up but have it installed on a few of my old machines. I don't mind it for practice, and because I like my old clicky keyboard 😜

Makes sense for the socket 7 in the Acer as well, I'm not aware of a gold top 486 but yes I believe cyrix ones had it and I think a few pentiums. Might have been some k5s that had the gold color heat spreaders as well.

Oh man 1mbit internet... Blazing in its day. I remember waiting 20+ minutes for a few meg download for a object for the sims etc on 56k dialup. Of course it never was 56k, more like 20 😂

We literally had each iteration of dial up modem speed throughout the years, might have even shipped with a 9600 baud, but I know we had a 14.4, 28.8, 36.whatever, 48.something, and 56k, then that fancy 56k with hardware data compression, then 10base2 1mbit cable internet, then BACK TO 56K but over the CABLE TELEPHONE SERVICE, let me tell you how frustrating it was knowing I was dialing up to the internet through the damn cable coax line. Ugh!

Whatever CPU was in that lil old Acer it could NOT handle playing a MP3 at full quality in stereo, I had to drop it to mono and lower the bit rate to half. Understandable since it was from before MP3 existed. My dad liked to download the full res TIFF files from NASA FTP and look at the moon, mars, etc. He'd scroll and wait for the screen to re-draw line by line until he got to the part of the image he wanted to see. Oye!

By the time we had the K6 or K62 (might have been a super socket 7 board?)  the Pentium 4 Northwood was out and had been out for a while, so I got fed up with the old PC and moved a jumper to make it not boot forcing my dad to build a new PC, a P4 Northwood that he managed to assemble with the most unstable combination of hardware and drivers running Windows ME. That was rough. Eventually Windows XP came along and that was a lot better, he had that PC running for a long long time until I built him a Core2Duo and then later my Stepmother a first gen i3 system that I'm sure she still has. I finally upgraded him this year to an i5 4590S (65W), 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, and a GTX 1650 all packed snugly into a HP EliteDesk SFF desktop. That'll probably last him a decade, I even have a spare PSU here I can ship him out in case his dies, though I bought it to harvest product keys from cheap HP motherboards.

50 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We literally had each iteration of dial up modem speed throughout the years, might have even shipped with a 9600 baud, but I know we had a 14.4, 28.8, 36.whatever, 48.something, and 56k, then that fancy 56k with hardware data compression, then 10base2 1mbit cable internet, then BACK TO 56K but over the CABLE TELEPHONE SERVICE, let me tell you how frustrating it was knowing I was dialing up to the internet through the damn cable coax line. Ugh!

Whatever CPU was in that lil old Acer it could NOT handle playing a MP3 at full quality in stereo, I had to drop it to mono and lower the bit rate to half. Understandable since it was from before MP3 existed. My dad liked to download the full res TIFF files from NASA FTP and look at the moon, mars, etc. He'd scroll and wait for the screen to re-draw line by line until he got to the part of the image he wanted to see. Oye!

By the time we had the K6 or K62 (might have been a super socket 7 board?)  the Pentium 4 Northwood was out and had been out for a while, so I got fed up with the old PC and moved a jumper to make it not boot forcing my dad to build a new PC, a P4 Northwood that he managed to assemble with the most unstable combination of hardware and drivers running Windows ME. That was rough. Eventually Windows XP came along and that was a lot better, he had that PC running for a long long time until I built him a Core2Duo and then later my Stepmother a first gen i3 system that I'm sure she still has. I finally upgraded him this year to an i5 4590S (65W), 16GB DDR3, 500GB SSD, and a GTX 1650 all packed snugly into a HP EliteDesk SFF desktop. That'll probably last him a decade, I even have a spare PSU here I can ship him out in case his dies, though I bought it to harvest product keys from cheap HP motherboards.

Yeah the p100 came with I think a 14.4 which my dad later upgraded to a US robotics sportster 33.6. The gateway he bought in I believe 2001 had a 56k in it and we were still on dialup for a few years after that. I think we got high speed (don't remember if it was cable or DSL) in 04 or 05, at which point I had my own machine.

The 4th gen chips are still very capable, and I'm seeing a lot of them now at the recycler I deal with. That's a neat idea for harvesting keys too, I'll have to keep that in mind. From my experience, you can actually still use windows 7 keys for windows 10. Seems to be a bit hit and miss but most seem to work, for like versions (home/pro). I guess Microsoft hasn't patched that loophole yet.

With some systems windows me actually wasnt bad but did certainly have its issues.

3 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

And the download tended to fail at 99% all too often...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

And the download tended to fail at 99% all too often...

Download managers with resume function were an absolute MUST.

On 12/19/2013 at 6:33 PM, Nineshadow said:

I have a 8800 GTS too...somewhere.

Also an Athlon 64 x2 5000+(back from 2007).

I have it also at a still running PC, it holds pretty good overclock.

Hello,

I have two ASUS Athlon board:

A7A266 with this CPU:IMG_20200610_171847.thumb.jpg.4b5b9c52daea116f70a02f6a09bd6ea7.jpg

A7N8X-E with this one: IMG_20200610_172102.thumb.jpg.0dc52c5770bd185e5e6ff1bd16bfbfd2.jpg

But i don't know if the second CPU is working as the A7N8X-E has a inflated capacitor as you can see here.

IMG_20200610_173950.thumb.jpg.4cf488b789c0569b676c07e807e8d531.jpg

I try to put it in the first mobo, but it didn't work.

If you have somewhere to order a new one let me know.

Some old software from my stash, back in the day when Microsoft had RISC versions.

Previous to that "cross platform" for Microsoft meant it ran on Intel and Cyrix chips. Now "cross platform" seems to mean it runs on x86 chips or really crappy in an emulator on ARM ;)

IMG_20191009_151057.jpg

IMG_20191009_150940.jpg

Got something in the mail today that I ordered off Ebay a few days ago. Some new floppies for the old machines... brand new in box, still in the factory shrink wrap! Just finished unboxing them and re-formatting them, working 3 different systems at once so I'm not up all night doing it haha.

DSC_4823.JPG

DSC_4824.JPG

DSC_4825.JPG

Cool it's an old Socket A MSI N1996 board with a VIA chipset. Lacking Sata ports and very poor overclocking ability. The board is not interesting in that aspect, pretty basic, lower end. You want NForce2 chipset which will come with these features.

The Cpu looks like an 1800 Athlon? Can't tell, my eyes arent' that good any more. Need a better picture.

An old and really small HDD 

Samsung HS12VFJ

3400rpm 

120gb

It came with a HP Elitebook 2530p I got that shipped with Vista business so I would assume it's pretty old 

104337200_262380698319711_2114047312020618690_n.jpg

On 6/17/2020 at 6:51 AM, Riley pasta Gorman said:

An old and really small HDD 

There was for a long time also the 1,8 standard but it got phased out for m.2

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

my little sister's blazing fast minecraft gaming hand me down rig

specs:

blazing fast 2nd Generation Intel Atom Dual Core D525 (1.80GHz

an insane 4 gigs of 2 x 204-pin DDR3-1066/800 Single Channel SO-DIMM memory

graphics are not at all a bottleneck with intel's  GMA3150 Integrated Graphics

a actually fairly ok intel 120 gig ssd

and an old microsoft mouse from my parents

IMG_20200621_124220929.thumb.jpg.4025ef9bd7a6eb58e05cc7ffb7616fe6.jpg

IMG_20200621_124522581.jpg

IMG_20200621_124225816.jpg

IMG_20200621_124127440_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, big oof 1 said:

my little sister's blazing fast minecraft gaming hand me down rig

specs:

blazing fast 2nd Generation Intel Atom Dual Core D525 (1.80GHz

an insane 4 gigs of 2 x 204-pin DDR3-1066/800 Single Channel SO-DIMM memory

graphics are not at all a bottleneck with intel's  GMA3150 Integrated Graphics

a actually fairly ok intel 120 gig ssd

and an old microsoft mouse from my parents

IMG_20200621_124225816.jpg

So weird thing about the D525 and boards with dual RAM slots is that almost every one will actually run 8GB RAM no problem, it's still single channel but you get a lot more memory to play with which in general helps out quite a bit if it's hitting up the SSD a lot over and over or just plain running out of RAM. I've got a D525 system here that's just gathering dust, it's too slow for anything I'd do with it anymore except maybe a low budget NAS. Neat bit of hardware though.

yep that is pretty much what was happening to that system. my parents had it running command line and just being used to handle the company phones like 10 years ago and it has just been sitting on a shelf since.

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I've got a D525 system here that's just gathering dust

19 minutes ago, big oof 1 said:

yep that is pretty much what was happening to that system. my parents had it running command line and just being used to handle the company phones like 10 years ago and it has just been sitting on a shelf since.

I actually forgot I have two, one is a Gigabyte using a 24pin power and desktop memory and the other a Zotac with Nividia Ion graphics, passive cooling, laptop memory, and uses a brick for the PSU

laptop memory, and uses a brick for the PSU

that is what i have in mine except it is a lot more low end then yours but it did what it was intended to all those years ago and now my sister uses it for minecraft for the one reason that it runs faster than her phone