Intel is developing their own version of smartglasses.

Skanky Sylveon

Intel is developing their own line of smartglasses called Vaunt.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

The most important parts of Intel’s new Vaunt smart glasses are the pieces that were left out.

There is no camera to creep people out, no button to push, no gesture area to swipe, no glowing LCD screen, no weird arm floating in front of the lens, no speaker, and no microphone (for now).

I think the most distressing thing about Google glass was the camera.  There is a line between security and ease of use, and privacy, and I think that Google glass crossed that line for too many people.

While yes, there are a lot of cameras nowadays, I feel that having one strapped to one's face went too far.

Google Glass, and the Glassholes who came with it, gave head-worn displays a bad reputation.

Hehe, Glassholes.  :P

Er, anyway, yes, I defiantly think that those who came before Vaunt weren't the most welcomed of products.

Before we get into all that, let’s just lay down the hardware basics. On the right stem of the glasses sits a suite of electronics designed to power a very low-powered laser (technically a VCSEL). That laser shines a red, monochrome image somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 x 150 pixels onto a holographic reflector on the glasses’ right lens. The image is then reflected into the back of your eyeball, directly onto the retina. The left stem also houses electronics, so the glasses are equally weighted on both sides.

That sound's kinda terrifying, but as long as the laser is low powered, it shouldn't cause any damage.

That may also be why the laser is red.  Red caused the least amount of eye strain, and if it's a low enough wavelength, it wouldn't even cause your pupils to dilate.

”We didn’t want the notification to appear directly in your line of sight,” says Eastwood. “We have it about 15 degrees below your relaxed line of sight. … An LED display that’s always in your peripheral vision is too invasive. … this little flickering light. The beauty of this system is that if you choose not to look at it, it disappears. It is truly gone.”

So that means unless you actively look down, you won't even notice it.  I think that's largely a good thing.

Anyways, it seems that unlike it's predecessors, Intel is trying to make Vaunt as non intrusive, and non creepy to others as possible.

I still have doubts whether Vaunt will be a success though.  It's functionality seems limited to notifications, if that's all it can really do, and it's more expensive then something like a pebble watch (likely since Intel stated all of the electronics were built from the ground up), I have trouble seeing it be a success.

Yep, yes please gimme now I really want that, like REALLY want that

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I HATE that name... and I don't usually just hate names. I've seen these types of display have a huge impact in working environments. One of my clients had them on warehouse employees and they rarely have to look away from stocking and inventory tasks. Figured out that it shot efficiency way up and paid for themselves in no time. I don't want to see these on someone snapchatting though. I dislike that kind of use for "smart glasses." I don't like random people recording me in passing. Glad these don't have a camera. I'm also tired and overly cranky.

Wait what? Intel developing a new product for once?

<joke> Mom get the camera!! </joke>

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

" I don't like random people recording me in passing. I'm also tired and overly cranky.

Idk about the US but where I live that'd cause problems cos recording people without permission on private property (e.g. non Public space) is basically illegal.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yep, yes please gimme now I really want that, like REALLY want that

Really? it doesn't look like it'd be terribly useful imho.

And besdies it's Intel, they'll make the price so unreasonable with too many SKUs and product availability will be a mess xD.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Also question to OP, how does this work for people with normal glasses (types which have prescription) ?

6 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I've seen these types of display have a huge impact in working environments. One of my clients had them on warehouse employees and they rarely have to look away from stocking and inventory tasks. Figured out that it shot efficiency way up and paid for themselves in no time.

That makes sense, but is something that I never thought of.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Idk about the US but where I live that'd cause problems cos recording people without permission on private property (e.g. non Public space) is basically illegal.

From my limited knowledge, it's more or less the same here, but I thought @Legendarypoet was referring to public spaces.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Also question to OP, how does this work for people with normal glasses (types which have prescription) ?

I would imagine that prescription lenses could be made for it.

Sorry guys.  The geeks and nerds of the world made that a thing a LOOOOONG time ago!  xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

57 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think it seems pretty cool, nice to have just like a smart watch for notifications and I also just really like the tech of haveing a laser project into your eye so there isn't a screen people can peak at

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, techstorm970 said:

Sorry guys.  The geeks and nerds of the world made that a thing a LOOOOONG time ago!  xD 

? i cant say i have seen any mention of a laster projector straight to your eye before tbh

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

they mentioned  something about that in the article i think, there can probably be lenses made for it which is pretty cool, i wouldnt mind if they also made it like those spectrum glasses where it cuts the highest energy blue light out too

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

? i cant say i have seen any mention of a laster projector straight to your eye before tbh

I was making a joke about the "Smartglasses" thing.  xD 

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

22 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

they mentioned  something about that in the article i think, there can probably be lenses made for it which is pretty cool, i wouldnt mind if they also made it like those spectrum glasses where it cuts the highest energy blue light out too

Lens can be made to have prescription and/or blue light filter.

You could probably ask for a blue light filter lens to be added to the standard lens it comes with.

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Lens can be made to have prescription and/or blue light filter.

You could probably ask for a blue light filter lens to be added to the standard lens it comes with.

id probably opt for it if it wasent something like this shit:

Bildresultat för gunnar glasses

if its a visible yellow tint, id rather stare at a UV light untill my eyes popped than wear it, uggliest shit ever

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

id probably opt for it if it wasent something like this shit:

Bildresultat för gunnar glasses

if its a visible yellow tint, id rather stare at a UV light untill my eyes popped than wear it, uggliest shit ever

Contrary to popular belief, Blue light filters don't need to be made so that you see extreme yellow tint.

The lens on my prescription glasses I'm wearing right now have a blue light filter and the color tint is barely noticeable. I mean sure, things look a tiny bit more yellow but it's not obnoxious or intrusive.

From what I've seen from the garden variety non-prescription anti blue light glasses, the yellow tint is so strong because their filter is ludicrously strong and is probably incredibly overkill tbh.

because google glass was such a great success

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

49 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Contrary to popular belief, Blue light filters don't need to be made so that you see extreme yellow tint.

The lens on my glasses I'm wearing right now have a blue light filter and the color tint is barely different.

From what I've seen from the garden variety non-prescription anti blue light glasses, the yellow tint is so strong because their filter is ludicrously strong and is probably incredibly overkill tbh.

yah you can make them extremely subtile, which i hope they do if there is an option for it

Builds:

Spoiler

Google makes smart glasses: people lose their shit because of the camera

Snapchat makes glasses who's sole feature is the camera: people line up and wait days in front of a vending machine to toss their money at it.

the world we live in

Jokes aside, pretty cool that smart glasses might make a come up, imo this is actually something useful I'd gladly use compared to smartwatches.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Sierra Fox said:

because google glass was such a great success

You realise the car existed in multiple failed iterations for over 20 years until the Model T came along, right?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Google makes smart glasses: people lose their shit because of the camera

Snapchat makes glasses who's sole feature is the camera: people line up and wait days in front of a vending machine to toss their money at it.

the world we live in

Jokes aside, pretty cool that smart glasses might make a come up, imo this is actually something useful I'd gladly use compared to smartwatches.

I'm waiting for this...

Futurama-eyePhone.png

latest?cb=20111120021327

futurama_killer_app.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I’m guessing the criticisms of th original Google Glass Sergey Brin wore during the 2012 Google I/O applies here as well and I can see people becoming “Glassholes”. 

1. Rudeness 
  2. Inattention
  3. Danger  
Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Is ther any smart glasses that can replace prescription lenses? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

If these actual come to market and I can do something to pin a to do list, then I might just get one.

9 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

And besdies it's Intel, they'll make the price so unreasonable with too many SKUs and product availability will be a mess xD.

Depends on the State in the USA. My state is a 1 Party State so only 1 of us have to agree to being recorded. Some states require both Parties envoled to accept the recording.