Intel is developing their own version of smartglasses.

Skanky Sylveon
2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Is ther any smart glasses that can replace prescription lenses? 

Google glass could 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

That laser shines a red, monochrome image somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 x 150 pixels onto a holographic reflector on the glasses’ right lens.

Compared to the Nintendo Virtual Boy:

Reflection Technology Inc SLA dual mirror-scan, high resolution LED displays
Resolution: 384 x 224 pixels
50.2 Hz Horizontal Scan Rate

Nintendo Virtual Boy (1995): 86,016 pixels aka 0.086 MP

Intel Vaunt (2018): 60,000 pixels aka 0.060 MP

The first color television of all time (1954): 218,700 pixels aka 0.218 MP

Standard HDTV (1998): 2,073,600 pixels aka 2.07 MP

Why would Intel do this? 23 years after the virtual boy, they decide to make AR glasses with even LESS resolution and the same color as Nintendo in 1995. I understand that this is AR vs the Virtual boy VR, so there will likely be more pixels per inch, but still, come on Intel. I understand the display tech is better and all, but unless these are gonna sell for dirt cheap there's no reason for the ridiculous resolution.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

20 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Intel is developing their own line of smartglasses called Vaunt.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/5/16966530/intel-vaunt-smart-glasses-announced-ar-video

I think the most distressing thing about Google glass was the camera.  There is a line between security and ease of use, and privacy, and I think that Google glass crossed that line for too many people.

While yes, there are a lot of cameras nowadays, I feel that having one strapped to one's face went too far.

Hehe, Glassholes.  :P

Er, anyway, yes, I defiantly think that those who came before Vaunt weren't the most welcomed of products.

That sound's kinda terrifying, but as long as the laser is low powered, it shouldn't cause any damage.

That may also be why the laser is red.  Red caused the least amount of eye strain, and if it's a low enough wavelength, it wouldn't even cause your pupils to dilate.

So that means unless you actively look down, you won't even notice it.  I think that's largely a good thing.

Anyways, it seems that unlike it's predecessors, Intel is trying to make Vaunt as non intrusive, and non creepy to others as possible.

I still have doubts whether Vaunt will be a success though.  It's functionality seems limited to notifications, if that's all it can really do, and it's more expensive then something like a pebble watch (likely since Intel stated all of the electronics were built from the ground up), I have trouble seeing it be a success.

I always wondered why Google started developing Google lens. At first instance, it will hit the privacy..