Is 8GB of RAM Enough In 2018?

My laptop seems to think so. It was so nice of them to solder it so I wouldn't even have the urge to upgrade.

Sort answer without watching the video...........NO

Edit: solution to the lack of RAM that some people have https://downloadmoreram.com/

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

2 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

My laptop seems to think so. It was so nice of them to solder it so I wouldn't even have the urge to upgrade.

It's actually quite the opposite for me. I have a laptop with 12gb of ram unsoldered and I was considering upgrading to 32gb to drive my VM woes but then I'd be broke. :(

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

It's actually quite the opposite for me. I have a laptop with 12gb of ram unsoldered and I was considering upgrading to 32gb to drive my VM woes but then I'd be broke. :(

I know that feeling all too well. In 2017 I bought no less than 240GB of RAM across the the builds I did. Seemed like a ton of money until the recent hardware spikes.

I have 8GB and use Chrome as my main browser and it gets me by fine.

My desktop has 64GB DDR4. Startup alone I'm using around 2~3GB. Opening up, Chrome with a few tabs, Notepad++, Visual Studios, 3D modeling software, LibreOffice, while streaming a video on VLC from my network server memory usage pegs around 6.5GB...yep...

And here I sit with petty 2GB of ram. Haven't seen chrome for years. Thank god there is such a thing as Firefox.

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

My desktop has 64GB DDR4. Startup alone I'm using around 2~3GB. Opening up, Chrome with a few tabs, Notepad++, Visual Studios, 3D modeling software, LibreOffice, while streaming a video on VLC from my network server memory usage pegs around 6.5GB...yep...

then try doing something difficult how bout

About excel, doesn’t the program have a limit of 4 gb of RAM usage?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

then try doing something difficult how bout

XPlotter? That'll use as much as you can throw at it.

And yet I have 8 GB of RAM in both my aging PC and brand new laptop. Its enough to get by comfortably but not the best  

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

XPlotter? That'll use as much as you can throw at it.

so your original comment was what then..... bragging that you use no ram? bragging that you have lots of ram? implying that notepad and vlc are good examples of normal ram usage?

I't almost as if you commented without watching the video. ugh. some people here i tell ya

I like how this video came out and I upgraded to 16GB last week.

In general ymmv depending on what you do, I survived with 8 gigs for years, now ram eating games in alpha just pushed the boundaries.

32 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

your rig has more RAM than the DOTA 2 NA server xD

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Just now, Daniel644 said:

as someone who regularly has over a 100 tabs in Firefox, no 8GB is not enough

do you have an ultrawide monitor? or something

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 minute ago, emosun said:

so your original comment was what then..... bragging that you use no ram? bragging that you have lots of ram? implying that notepad and vlc are good examples of normal ram usage?

I't almost as if you commented without watching the video. ugh. some people here i tell ya

You're right. I didn't watch the video and my point was the average (if not slightly above average) user can still get by fine with 8GB

Also, I enjoyed Black Lagoon a lot. Revy was one tough SOB.

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

do you have an ultrawide monitor? or something

no, thats why I use Firefox and NOT chrome, I can still see enough of the tab to atleast ID the website the tab is

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

no, thats why I use Firefox and NOT chrome, I can still see enough of the tab to atleast ID the website the tab is

oh yeah, firefox doesn't try to squish them all up there at once, forgot about that

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

10 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

your rig has more RAM than the DOTA 2 NA server xD

Gotta keep Chrome happy.

Personally I love my 16gb... I think i would be ok with 12, I think when streaming with OBS is when I hit that 12GB number. I'll check next time i race.