Any Metalheads here?

Cyberspirit

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations so far!

I think I'll either have a great time tomorrow or go completely deaf. xD

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

On 1/19/2018 at 2:39 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Hey, I recently started getting into Metal and, so far I really like what I've heard so, I wanted to ask someone who knows more about the genre for some recommendations.

So far I looked around Spotify and, I've been enjoying some songs on a playlist called Trash Metal.

Thrash? Ask and you shall receive.

Also I always recommend melodic death metal.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

10 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:
Spoiler

Power Metal:  Edguy, Avantasia, Jorn, Helloween, Pagan's Mind, Damnation Angels, Dream Evil, Grave Digger, Gamma Ray, Sanctuary, Unisonic, Kamelot, Jag Panzer, and Primal Fear. 

Black Metal:  I, Burzum, Satyricon, Ulver, Darkwoods My Betrothed, Mayhem, Ov Hell, Ancient Rites, Venom and Venom Inc[split of the original members with their second singer], Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, 1349, Carpathian Forest, Immortal, Abbath, Gorgoroth, God Seed, Emperor, Darkthrone, and Triptykon.

Death Metal:  Possessed, Hypocrisy, Necrophagist, Unleashed, Death, Obituary, Entombed, Amon Amarth, Varg, In Flames, Blood Red Throne, Sepultura[up to 2005 anything after is crap], Cavalera Conspiracy, Nailbomb, Soulfly, Cannibal Corpse, Six Feet Under, Nile, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, Suffocation, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Behemoth, At The Gates, Immolation, Hate Eternal, Gorguts, Chthonic and Hellhammer/Celtic Frost.

Viking Black and Pagan metal:  Einherjer, Nordwind, Thyrfing, Moonsorrow, Bathory, Enslaved, Helheim, Windir, Tyr, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Wolfchant, Demonaz, Ásmegin, Ensiferum, Kampfar, Heidevolk, Hel, Isengard, and Svartsot.

Comedy metal: GWAR, Psychostick, Alestorm, Ghoul, Swashbuckle, Russkaja, Boys of Battle, and Kontrust.

Funk Metal: Infectious Grooves, Living Colour[Led by a belting god], and Faith No More.

Groove Metal: Pantera[The gods of this], Black Label Society, Lamb of God, Devildriver...I don't listen to a lot of groove, so I don't know a lot of bands.

Crossover thrash: Suicidal Tendencies and Cro-Mags are the only two I remember being here maybe MD.45?  Oh right even D.R.I...

Thrash/Speed: Motorhead[pioneers of speed sound], Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, Viking, Tankard, Bulldozer, Annihilator, Demolition Hammer, Exodus, Newsted, Strapping Young Lad[has industrial too], Overkill, Blood Tsunami, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Havok, Municipal Waste, Exumer, and Flotsam and Jetsam.

Blackened Thrash: Aura Noir, Goatwhore, Destroyer 666, and Toxic Holocaust.

Stoner/Sludge:  Butthole Surfers, Down, Corrosion of Conformity, High on Fire, Bongzilla, Cannabis Corpse, Orange Goblin, Mastodon, Kyuss, Kylesa, and Electric Wizard.

Classic bands:  Accept, Saxon, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Sir Lord Baltimore, Diamond Head, Scorpions, UFO, Rainbow, Budgie, Buffalo, Dio, Michael Schenker Group, and Rush.  Technically, you could add Queen in here for the influence LZ refuses to be added here themselves.

Shred Gods/Neoclassical: Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie, Uli Jon Roth[the true god], Michael Angelo Batio, the Cacophony Duo aka Jason Becker and Marty Friedman, Gus G, and pretty much every guy of neo-classical metal.  xD

Few Symphonic/Prog bands:  Clearly Rush started this after the influence of King Crimson, Nightwish, Epica, Dream Theater, and Nevermore.  Keeping this list short as I was waking up while listing these bands.

I can keep going, but ya these are ones I'd suggest for now.

Is just one of the reasons of why Uli is the true god.   This piece here influenced every shred god.

Woah thanks! Also, I had no idea such thing as comedy Metal existed. I'll check them out soon because that sounds interesting.

27 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Black Metal:  [sic] Ulver

Isn't it a bit of stretch to call Ulver a black metal band? 

They only did black metal on two albums (and two demos), and then it was only on one full album where they only played black metal. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

DISTURBED.

try listening to Stricken, Indestructible, Down With the Sickness... then you will get a taste and if you like it there are 7 albuns (all great)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

I mean you could shove Ulver in a few places, so I just put them there.  I mean I guess you're right, but another band I couldn't put in just one place would be Children of Bodom.  They started doing power metal and a few of their albums are heavily neo-classical shredding, but they're known as death metal.

I've always just classified Children of Bodom as "extreme metal". While it's certainly a vague umbrella term it fits rather nicely with Children of Bodom's sound, especially since they seem to change with every album. 

I guess I would just classify Ulver as being Ulver. 

Just like I classify Burzum as just being Burzum. 

Both projects have strayed so far over the musical spectrum that they kinda outgrew normal classifications. 

33 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I think Varg is a closet Ulver fan...

I wouldn't even think he would need to be closeted. Ulver (and Garm especially) are pretty renouned for their musical chops, mastering everyhting from black metal, over trip-hop to '80s synthpop. 

As a musician I would think Varg at least has some respect for them. 

On a slightly different not, i can't wait for Varg's reaction to the actual release of the Lords of Chaos movie. 

ThuleanPerspctive is going to be non-stop ranting and racial slurs from that point on into the forseeable future. 

On 1/19/2018 at 4:35 PM, dalekphalm said:

Prog Rock is my go-to.

Get our of here you person with complicated taste. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

34 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I know I was just making fun of Varg because he is a tad insecure, not a nazi yet agreed with one guys view on one situation, and always angry and ranting aka psychotic.

With Varg's recent output on ThuleanPerspective he seems to have either lost his marbles completely or he's starved for relevancy. 

Either way it's not a good look. 

Also, just remebered: I need to recommend the best metal to ever be released by a non-metal artist:

On 1/19/2018 at 3:33 AM, Cyberspirit said:

Got any recommendations? 

Only the best. 

Be forewarned... This is basically Uranium when it comes to heaviness of metals. 

Spoiler

There's also this, which people find really funny:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

In case someone gets upset over those symbols.  Those are not Nazi Swastikas as those are hindu influenced.  Those are Odinic ones symbolizing the power of Odin in Norse Germanic Paganism.  You can tell because they aren't facing the same way, and the guy who made this album is an Asatruer from Norway living in France now.

They are not and Varg often points this out himself, but that doesn't means he doesn't intentionally incites people with them considering his pretty damn extreme racist views: The man cannot shut up about jewish conspiracies.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Taja said:

DISTURBED.

try listening to Stricken, Indestructible, Down With the Sickness... then you will get a taste and if you like it there are 7 albuns (all great)

I'd like to throw my 2 cents into this:

Disturbed is a good band but honestly,

DWTS - Average

Believe - A classic

TTF - Good

Indestructible - Very good

Asylum - Horrible besides the T/T

Immortalized - Same as Asylum

I've listened to their music tirelessly.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Yes, but he's not a Nazi.  That was a misconception because he agreed with 1 view from a neo-nazi.  He's not racist, but he is a religious bigot which isn't the same thing.  I mean ya he says "white" a lot, but he's more against Abrahamic religions which I don't agree with.

He never makes a distinction between Race and Religion: He calls Christianity a "jewish cult" regardless of who worships, indicating that his problem is not only the religion itself but where it cames from: That's just flat out anti-semitic and there's no 2 ways about it and that's the last time I am commenting on this because 1) You'll never agree anyways and 2) To discuss further would basically break this thread and the code of conduct further.

So not to let you get away with excusing Varg fully but beyond this point make your case if you must, at least it's not fully uncontested now: Varg is a damn fucking racist.

-------

Current Rig

-------

9 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

He never makes a distinction between Race and Religion: He calls Christianity a "jewish cult" regardless of who worships, indicating that his problem is not only the religion itself but where it cames from: That's just flat out anti-semitic and there's no 2 ways about it and that's the last time I am commenting on this because 1) You'll never agree anyways and 2) To discuss further would basically break this thread and the code of conduct further.

Which is pretty much why I can't wait for the release of Lords of Chaos. Varg's critizism of the book was pretty much that one of the authors is supposidly Jewish.

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/lords_of_chaos_review.shtml

Edit: More recommendations:

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

Exactly why he's a crazy bigot.  Also, when does the book come out that you keep mentioning?  I want to praise it to piss him off.

The book came out back in the mid-'90s, but it's being made into a feature length drama/documentary later this year. It's the movie I'm looking forward to. becuase it's going to be a trainwreck in every sense of the word.

Firstly, the book is sensationalistic and controversial as all hell, and basing a movie on it was a bad idea from day one.

Secondly, pretty much every 2nd wave Norwegian group from Darkthrone to Emperor have denied the usage of their music in the movie, citing its skewed and sensationalistic view on the scene.

Thirdly, Varg is going to be pissed. Not only has he made the book one of his major talking points throughout the years, but apperently the actor that was hired to play him in the movie is of Jewish heritage. 

2 hours ago, Taja said:

DISTURBED.

Those were actually the first Metal songs I've heard and I really liked them. :) 

I love metal so damn much. Here's all the stuff I listen to:

Trivium: The Sin and the Sentence Album is so good, and their drummer is godlike. Video

Sabaton: Swedish power metal band

Disturbed

Metallica: All of it. I love all of it.

Iron Maiden: Also all of it

In Flames

Five Finger Death Punch

Megadeth

Dio
Anthrax

Amon Amarth

Black Sabbath

Gojira: A little bit of them

Judas Priest: A little bit of them

System of a Down: lol

Dethklok: Brutal

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

Thrash metal, hmm? My personal favourite genre.

Spoiler

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Not really a metalhead, but here's a few things I enjoy:

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Whiplash was Cliff's band before Metallica, right?

No. It's a New Jersey band. 

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

3 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Whiplash was Cliff's band before Metallica, right?

I think you're thinking of Trauma

Coincidentally, that's also the name of a pretty good tech death band from Poland

1 hour ago, Aeternalis said:

I'd like to throw my 2 cents into this:

Disturbed is a good band but honestly,

DWTS - Average

Believe - A classic

TTF - Good

Indestructible - Very good

Asylum - Horrible besides the T/T

Immortalized - Same as Asylum

I've listened to their music tirelessly.

Well, me too. My favorite band, have the Believe logo tattooed.

My favorite ones are TTF and Indestructible, but I also REALLY like Asylum. Immortalized is good, but it is not the same feeling... I mostly listen to 3~ songs

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Oh, I forgot the best album of all time. 

Old metal head from the 80's checking in.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.