Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

The promise of 22 hours of battery life seems interesting but I’m guessing it’s based on local playback of HD video. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

i've seen that this is a joint combo with AMD. where there are some models powered by the new AMD mobile chips with vega graphics and a qualcomm LTE chip as well. effectively making these laptops the exact thing Linus described while ranting on the WAN show xDxDxD

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Windows 10 S CAN run x86 Win32 programs just fine.

The only restriction is that you need to get them from the Windows 10 Store. The OS is free.

Until September 2018, you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.

When you run a program from outside the store, you have a pop-up tell you that you can only run apps from the Store, and tell you "Still want to install app from outside the Store? click here", and jumps you to a page where you can upgrade your Windows 10 S to 10 Pro (which, as mentioned is free, until Sept 2018)

Beside that, you have full access to x86 Win32 programs.

Windows RT did not have x86 emulation layer:

JWXKki9YvaaVh6Tf.jpg

And yes! Win32 x86 app WILL get performance hit. Expect poor scores in benchmark, as the benchmark not only runs on a "full" mass layered OS, as a modern OS of today, and not on a lean, cut to the bone OS like Android, but also you have emulation layer that kick's in, as I don't know a native UWP benchmark yet available.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows 10 S CAN run x86, Win32 programs just fine.

The only restriction is that you need to get them from the Windows 10 Store. The OS is free.

Until September 2018, you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free.

When you run a program from outside the store, you have a pop-up tell you that you can only run apps from the Store, and tell you "Still want to install app from outside the Store? click here", and jumps you to a page where you can upgrade your Windows 10 S to 10 Pro (which, as mentioned is free, until Sept 2018)

Beside that, you have full access to x86 Win32 programs. So no, it isn't Windows RT. I fixed you miss leading  title.

I thought these Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 powered laptops and tablets will be running full Windows 10 but Win32 apps not just the ones from Windows Store will run under an x86 emulator? 

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I thought these Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 powered laptops and tablets will be running full Windows 10 but Win32 apps not just the ones from Windows Store will run under an x86 emulator? 

The Store has BOTH, Win32 programs, and UWP programs.

If you have a look, you have: Spotify, Paint.NET, as popular examples.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

They run Windows 10S, so they are limited to only installing programs from the Windows Store.

It is possible (although it sometimes requires rewriting parts of the program) to package and put a Win32 program on the store. It seems like there is very little interest in doing so from third party developers though. 

You also can't change the default browser, and you have to use Bing as the search engine.

12 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What are you, an ant? 

no, i just like i said, like laptops you can actiually carry lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

Intel will have to bring them back into the consumer market to remain competitive. 

nah, they died for a reason

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

The Store has BOTH, Win32 programs, and UWP programs.

If you have a look, you have: Spotify, Paint.NET, as popular examples.

Yeah but what about the Photoshop CC demo Terry Myerson did with a laptop running on Snapdragon 835? Does it mean Adobe is porting Creative Cloud to the Windows Store?

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Yeah but what about the Photoshop CC demo Terry Myerson did with a laptop running on Snapdragon 835? Does it mean Adobe is porting Creative Cloud to the Windows Store?

That was probably a Windows 10 Pro OS running on ARM hardware, not Windows 10S.

The laptops that have been announced comes with Windows 10S, which are limited to the store. You can upgrade Windows 10S to Windows 10 Pro for free (during a limited time) or for a "reasonable price" according to Microsoft.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That was probably a Windows 10 Pro OS running on ARM hardware, not Windows 10S.

The laptops that have been announced comes with Windows 10S, which are limited to the store. You can upgrade Windows 10S to Windows 10 Pro for free (during a limited time) or for a "reasonable price" according to Microsoft.

I think those ARM powered laptops are better off with Windows 10S. Snapdragon 835 won’t be able to take advantage of Windows 10 Pro’s features anyway. 

The only thing left for them to do, is release a compiler for win32 ARM, let devs port their apps to native ARM code instead of just emulating their binaries.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

18 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Seems like a cool idea, but really why not just use Atom or those smaller celerons and have done with it.

my mother in law order a 2 in 1 with atom processor and the company sent her 2 by mistake. she gave me the extra as i was looking for a replacment for my ipad and love the idea, but damn it was borderline useless for simple tasks.

Went out and bought an hp spectra to replace it. i wouldn't go near the atoms tbh. im genuinely excited about about WoA. RT was a beautiful trainwreck so hopefully they learn from the past and put out a cool product..

Yea. Atom is awful CPU. An SSD won't help much. If you just do web surfing, with a max 2-3 tabs open, than you are fine, if you are patient (usually Atom based systems aren't powered by a nice SSD).. and play videos and such you are also good. But do anything more, or multi-task, the CPU starts to struggles so much. Also, battery life, while good (considering the price of the system), is not great. That is why Intel pull the plug on Atom CPU, and decided to focus on Core M which is a lot more promising CPU, where it can deliver a decent experience, while being low powered.

This where ARM based CPU comes in. Low-cost, all day battery life, decent experience. While I don't expect 200$ Snapdragon 835 powered system anytime soon (so far, the 835 CPU is the minimum in terms of performance and needed technologies that Microsoft allows). As Qualcomm continua to make newer chips, the price of entry for delivering an acceptable experience at the 200$ price tag will come a reality.

I'd like to see a efficient x86 phone rather though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 hours ago, Kherm said:

You can not call this Windows RT. These Snapdragon PCs run Full Windows 10 with the ability to run full win32 apps like Chrome, Photoshop, and Steam.

If you think you'll be running pc games well on these you're sorely mistaken. At least when it comes to anything that came out in the last 15 years.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

29 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea. Atom is awful CPU. An SSD won't help much. If you just do web surfing, with a max 2-3 tabs open, than you are fine, if you are patient (usually Atom based systems aren't powered by a nice SSD).. and play videos and such you are also good. But do anything more, or multi-task, the CPU starts to struggles so much. Also, battery life, while good (considering the price of the system), is not great. That is why Intel pull the plug on Atom CPU, and decided to focus on Core M which is a lot more promising CPU, where it can deliver a decent experience, while being low powered.

This where ARM based CPU comes in. Low-cost, all day battery life, decent experience. While I don't expect 200$ Snapdragon 835 powered system anytime soon (so far, the 835 CPU is the minimum in terms of performance and needed technologies that Microsoft allows). As Qualcomm continua to make newer chips, the price of entry for delivering an acceptable experience at the 200$ price tag will come a reality.

The last few atom chips weren't that awful to be honest, they definitely had enough performance for office and browsing as well as media consumption. Battery life is still a concern though.

Either way whether or not the emulation is good enough to make x86 performance acceptable is still up in the air.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Either way whether or not the emulation is good enough to make x86 performance acceptable is still up in the air.

Should be fine, but I expect reviews using Geekbench or whatever benchmark tool that is available on Windows and mobile and show that Android has nice big scores, and terrible on Windows 10 and conclude that Windows is bloated, ignoring the fact that Android/iOS is extremely simplistic OS compared to Windows, without even true multitasking capabilities (beside media, and notifications being registered, apps in the back are in suspended states (But that is on purpose, to save battery life)), and have the emulation layer making everything worse.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Should be fine, but I expect reviews using Geekbench or whatever benchmark tool that is available on Windows and mobile and show that Android has nice big scores, and terrible on Windows 10 and conclude that Windows is bloated, ignoring the fact that Android/iOS is extremely simplistic OS compared to Windows, without even true multitasking capabilities (beside media, and notifications being registered, apps in the back are in suspended states (But that is on purpose, to save battery life)), and have the emulation layer making everything worse.

Yeah, I agree geekbench and the like are meaningless. Still, I have a hard time believing anything more intensive than word will run well on an arm chip while going through emulation.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

another challenger that the iPad will trash with it's eyes closed.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

20 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Chromebooks are the new netbooks and are far better other than being more limited in what they can run

I install Linux on my c720. Sdd and a Intel cpu it's actually pretty nice only downside is 2gb of ram :/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I would be interested in buying a laptop like this. All I’d use it for is as a YouTube machine and college work (excel and word). The thing doesn’t need to do much. But days of battery life would be the dream. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

7 minutes ago, JohnKapri said:

I second that. The first few Atom chips we all know and hate from netbooks were pretty awful for what they were supposed to do. But earlier this year I got myself a nice cheep-o Chinese tablet with an Atom processor, 32GB flash and 2GB RAM and it's surprisingly snappy with a reasonable (if not great) battery life. 

For me, Windows on ARM is a great opportunity for low power, long lasting office machines. They'd be powerful enough to run office (and with Microsoft pushing this kind of thing we will probably see an ARM optimized version of MS Office...), watch movies and surf the web. You wont do video editing on these devices and you're not going to see console/PC grade games being ported to ARM, but for me that's not the point. x86 compatibility is a concern though. Emulating x86 will be awfully slow and native apps will run horribly on these. But .NET managed code could be JIT optimized to run reasonably if not great on this new platform. Metro Apps will also run nicely but no one cares.

And if everything fails we have a bunch of ARM notebooks with dem specs yo to run Linux on. ?

True virtualization and emulation of more recent game consoles is out of the question with ARM!

4 hours ago, JohnKapri said:

And if everything fails we have a bunch of ARM notebooks with dem specs yo to run Linux on. ?

I would say on ARM linux is a better choice since there is no need for emulation to run programs...