What Age Should kids get phones  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Age Range

• 5-8
    • 9-10
    • 11-12
    • 13-14
    • Other Opinion(Reply)

With "phone" do you mean a smartphone or the nokia 3310 type? I don't think there's a problem in giving kids of almost any age a simple communication device, especially if for some reason they need to be able to contact their parents regularly - the worst you'll be able to do with an old nokia is play snake in class, and that gets old fairly quickly (it's also not worse than just doodling for an hour), or make prank calls, which are easily found out and dealt with.

A smartphone, on the other hand, can be a lot more problematic - particularly with internet access. I don't think kids and teens below high school age should have unrestricted access to one, generally speaking. Of course, as with all things, the bar will vary depending on the specific situation and person. I think parents should do their best to make sure their children are aware of the risks and downsides - after that, it's up to them to judge whether their kid is mature enough or not.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

41 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Once they are old enough to leave alone at home when you go shopping. So if something happens to them they can call their parents or emergency line.

And they should probably get a dumbphone first so they don't start doing stupid things like sending dic pics to everyone...

If they are home they probably have access to a landline anyway though (or should if leaving them home alone is a concern) - but I agree with the base idea.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

With "phone" do you mean a smartphone or the nokia 3310 type? I don't think there's a problem in giving kids of almost any age a simple communication device, especially if for some reason they need to be able to contact their parents regularly - the worst you'll be able to do with an old nokia is play snake in class, and that gets old fairly quickly (it's also not worse than just doodling for an hour), or make prank calls, which are easily found out and dealt with.

Snake never gets old... The new versions maybe but the old one (I think we had Nokia 5110) you could play for hours. Even my dad played it. 

CPU: 2x Xeon E5 2670 Motherboard: ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16,  RAM: 64GB of 1333 MHz mermory from Samsung (ECC),  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070,  Case: NZXT Switch 810, Storage: Samsug EVO 250GB and 500GB, 3x3 TB and 1x1TB  HDD  PSU: Corsair RM 850,  Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2s,  Headset: Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO black edition (80 ohm), OS: UnRaid with two VMs and Plex 

On 05/12/2017 at 4:25 AM, TrevMCC38 said:

It seems like there is a lot of debate on what age kids should get phones. I personaly feel that if they are responsible enough, they should get a hand-me-down at 9-10, and get something better at 11-12

It all depends on the kid, I was really responsible therefore I got a Sony Ericsson on contract when I was around 5 years old, however, in my siblings case they are 6 and 8 and not ready to have a phone as they're not responsible enough, sure they've Tablets and iPods and cheap phones (iPhone 4 and HTC windows phone) but in the end only 1 of the 6 devices survived over a year.

17 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

1. You are were you say you will be, if not, there are measures of discipline that can be applied.

2. Payphones exist, used if you change location.

3. Schools have phones that are free to use.

4. If neither is available a friends phone could be used if possible.

5. Apparently I don't care about my kid since I expect accountability from my children, just like my parents didn't care about me by doing the same. :| 

Payphone don't exist in any reasonable aspect for a decent proportion of Americans (hell, I'd have had to bike over half an hour to get to a grocery store where I grew up). I mean there are always ways to try to get around it. Neighbors houses etc, but realistically I'd always have and recommend a burner phone around for that purpose. It's easy even for adults to freak out and forget about possibilities like that. Let alone kids.

If it turns out they are abusing the burner phone we can deal with that, in the mean time it's safer and better just to have it around.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Not to young.. They get to used to it and become phone huggers.. Or at least get them an old phone. 

20 hours ago, mikat said:

game at school

3 words that dont belong together.

8 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Payphone don't exist in any reasonable aspect for a decent proportion of Americans (hell, I'd have had to bike over half an hour to get to a grocery store where I grew up). I mean there are always ways to try to get around it. Neighbors houses etc, but realistically I'd always have and recommend a burner phone around for that purpose. It's easy even for adults to freak out and forget about possibilities like that. Let alone kids.

If it turns out they are abusing the burner phone we can deal with that, in the mean time it's safer and better just to have it around.

Not necessarily always true, like I said I can find one. But that is not the point of my comment.

The point was have a plan, and a fall back or plan "b" that if all else fails something is in place. We have a burner for our eldest (when babysitting here siblings) I mentioned in one of my latter replies that can be used but whether we give it to them later in say jr or sr high school will be decided on later of course. 

I was getting sick seeing the shortsighted answers that a lot of members in this forum give as though there is no such thing as old school ways to solve a problem.

Rhetorical:  That phone breaks and now what? 

This was my premise behind my comment.

Before I bought my first cell my dad got a 1-800 number, it was $3 a month or close to that and it was definitely cheaper than a cell phone. Came in handy a few times, saved my butt when I was out of state on a trip with friends and our cells didnt have service where our car broke down... lol. I had a regional plan (back when they still had regional plans! my word has it gotten better).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

As I've mentioned before, the age for them to get a phone is 18 and when they have a job. I do know that when your kids are out with their friends, you want them to have a phone so they can call you and vice versa. What I would do is buy a cheap smartphone, with internet access and mainly for the GPS and MAPS app, so they can use that to help know where they are. Now when they want to go out, they can take that phone and when they come home, they give the phone back to you. Now if they want a smartphone of their own, then they will have to get a job and earn it themselves, The minimum work age isn't 18, it's a lot younger so kids can get a job, and some school even have summer job programs. By having your kids get a job to buy the things they want, it teaches them to become responsible and let them know that things want they buy are earn through hard work. However if you see they are trying really hard by saving up, you can offer to pay half of it or get it for them as a surprise birthday gift, with the money they save to buy something else they want or better off, help them save in their very own bank account.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 12/5/2017 at 4:45 PM, TrevMCC38 said:

Yeah, I wish that is what people said to me when they find out I have a really good phone. I don't see why people see phones as a class determiner.

It's just a money thing I guess, in my old highschool everyone saw me as being well off. Only because I always had all the basic tools schools usually require the students have. Sadly though most there couldn't be bothered to even bring a pencil let alone a calculator, ruler or protractor. Hell 1 nickname I had initially was Office Mike lol.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

I let kids have phones at any age as a matter of communication necessity; does not have to be a smartphone, but I'll leave the smartphones to kids who are responsible and know how to use them.

If it's smartphones, it will be android phones since iPhones are overpriced for their performance.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)