Introducing "Pay with Google", a new way to speed up checkout on Android.

AlTech

In may of this year, Google promised to ease online purchasing on Android. Today, Google is making good on that promise with the announcement of  "Pay with Google", a new way to speed up checkout on Android.

This requires either the Android App or Chrome.

To be clear, this is roughly the equivalent of Android Pay but for online use only. That means it'll work on supported websites and services.

Today Google is making good on its May promise to ease the purchasing process on Android devices with the launch of Pay with Google. Now you simply choose the preferred credit or debit card you gave Google when setting up products like Google Play, YouTube, Chrome, or Android Pay; authenticate the purchase with a security code or your Android device; and then check out — no need to enter multiple lines of payment details in online forms.

At launch, Pay with Google can be used in the Android app or Chrome browser at the following 15 places, with a dozen or so more listed as "coming soon":

Supported Partners at launch:

PwG_Blog_Global_Merchants_7_1.width_1000

Google has said this won't have any transaction fee (thank god, this would be a dealbreaker if it did) and requires only a few lines of code to implement.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/16519340/pay-with-google-speeds-checkout

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, mok said:

is it specific to USA ?

it doesn't say.

There's no reason why it should be.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

it doesn't say. It probably will be specific to Android Oreo though.

So unless you have a Pixel 2 then you probably basically will need to buy a new phone for it.

well android pay is supported on my device with NFC (Marshmallow 6.0.1) - it just wasnt available in canada

EDIT: its available in canada now! just installed it and set it up

Photography / Finance / Gaming

12 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Google Wallet, Android pay, samsung pay, Pay with Google.....jesus chirst...make up your mind. 

im pretty sure pay with google IS android pay

Edited by mok

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

im pretty sure pay with google IS android pay

Nope.

Android Pay is for in Stores and Retail.

Pay with Google is for online purchases.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Google Wallet, Android pay, samsung pay, Pay with Google.....jesus chirst...make up your mind. 

I'm not a fan of Samsung Pay. But I agree, there shouldn't be like 5 different payment systems for Android.

I'm not a fan of Samsung Pay. But I agree, there shouldn't be like 5 different payment systems for Android.

Neither am I but many people use it because its supported a lot more widely than android pay. But yeah the amount of different payment systems are getting nuts. Wallet and Pay with Google can be merged into Android pay.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Neither am I but many people use it because its supported a lot more widely than android pay. But yeah the amount of different payment systems are getting nuts. Wallet and Pay with Google can be merged into Android pay.

Actually in my experience Android Pay is better supported than Samsung Pay.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Actually in my experience Android Pay is better supported than Samsung Pay.

Since samsung pay supports MST its used almost everywhere. Android pay is still only in a few locations because the terminals you need.

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Since samsung pay supports MST its used almost everywhere. Android pay is still only in a few locations because the terminals you need.

Well, most places I see don't advertise that they support Samsung Pay so idk...

Oh I only notice every now and then. But for a while Samsung pay, based on articles, is still the most widely used.

My guess is that it will never be usable in my country :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Seems like it would be a nice extension for android and more convenient to use, but I rarely order things order things from my phone, let alone the sites they are partnered with...

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Will LTT make their own phone payment mode to throw into the mix?

Mate, Floatplanepay makes android pay look like your paying with septims. 

8 hours ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Why not? It depends more on business of your country using their services than the other way around. Google usually start the development of those things with few selected partners and then open the API.

Because stuff like Android Pay isnt available here yet at all.
And, the banks here want to have their own system with their own app, so they wouldnt want to support Android Pay either. or Apple Pay for that matter. The banks have their own app, that can be used on paying for stuff, but not many sites use it yet at all, and the feature that is paying in stores with your phones, I havent seen any sign of.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

13 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I would have to disagree, at least here in the UK every place that I've personally been to (that I can recall) that supports Apple Pay also support Android Pay. I've never seen an Apple Pay only system. Pretty much every place here has it, even small local shops. I've never seen Samsung Pay advertised (not saying it isn't supported)

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I agree, never seen Samsung Pay advertised, whether its supported or not is a different question!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

13 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

But I agree, there shouldn't be like 5 different payment systems for Android.

Neither should there be a single payment method for Android. If you don't like it don't use it. If the companies want let them have more payment options, otherwise you get monopoly, and that's what people complain here the most. "We need more competition" is the sentence I read almost every day here. Seems like people can't decide if they want monopoly or not. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Eniqmatic said:

I would have to disagree, at least here in the UK every place that I've personally been to (that I can recall) that supports Apple Pay also support Android Pay. I've never seen an Apple Pay only system. Pretty much every place here has it, even small local shops. I've never seen Samsung Pay advertised (not saying it isn't supported)

I agree, never seen Samsung Pay advertised, whether its supported or not is a different question!

In the UK, they should all work as long as the card reader is a tap to pay one. They all work pretty much the exact same way in that regard - You could even use android way back with Wallet(?!?!) before apple pay was even a thing, just very few apparently realised this.

Best I saw once was someone paying with their random android on a system that was like 'We've now got apple pay' and the shop assistant was like, 'I don't think you can use that phone'. It worked perfectly fine, shop assistant couldn't comprehend.

1 hour ago, Eniqmatic said:

cause they don't need to advertise it, the thing simply works with all magnetic readers

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

56 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

cause they don't need to advertise it, the thing simply works with all magnetic readers

Nor does Android Pay since it just rides atop Interact Flash, MasterCard PayPass and Visa Paywave. At least up here in Canada.

No idea how it handles debit in the US with the messed up multiple card standards system.

Up here Samsung pay straight up doesn't work a lot of the time because a lot of machines have their MST readers disabled, since Pin-and-chip has been a huge thing up here for many years.

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Neither should there be a single payment method for Android. If you don't like it don't use it. If the companies want let them have more payment options, otherwise you get monopoly, and that's what people complain here the most. "We need more competition" is the sentence I read almost every day here. Seems like people can't decide if they want monopoly or not. 

I want competition in the OS market. But we don't need 5 different payment standards per OS.

1 is satisfactory. 2-4 is just annoying to deal with especially when Samsung is only pushing their thing because they disagree/have beef with Google.

As someone who may be switching to Android, I would never use Samsung Pay even if i bought a Samsung Phone. As it stands I don't plan on buying a Samsung Phone ever so I'm not too bored about that.

9 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Any reason why I shouldn't just continue to pay with paypal?

Probably not, PayPal is pretty solid... I also only use it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)