AOL IM shutting down December 15

GoodBytes

If you are in your late 20's or later, you probably know about AOL Instant Messenger.  It was a popular program for PCs as a way to communicate with friends and family in the late 90's, to quickly be dethroned by the superior ICQ (which got dethroned by MSN Messenger, then with Skype, then what we have now in terms of Instant Messaging programs). AOL was particularly popular in the US, as it came bundled and promoted by the US based dial-up -internet service provider AOL (American OnLine).

The mascot/logo of the AOL IM was the yellow running man:

Farm-Fresh_aol_messenger.png.c03b8830a4279d918abff9798ab9b007.png

And if you recall, back in Windows 9x days, the program looked like this in its early days:

aolmessengr-225x300.gif.6b5424d3d32047a2e748a2a5491d7be2.gif                59d7bea38d7cc_0308-InstantMessenger.gif.1353ad6657b9a6a1c755cd97f9a5b2e9.gif

Today, Oath, owner of AOL, announces that its instant messaging, after 20 years of service, will be terminated.

Ars reports:

f you still have an AOL Instant Messenger account, now might be a good time to start saying your goodbyes. In ten weeks—the morning of December 15th to be precise—AIM will be shut down. The writing has been on the wall for some time—in March, AIM stopped supporting MD5 authentication, cutting off many third-party IM clients (like Adium) from accessing the service.

Now the plan is to disable all AIM services other than @aim.com e-mail addresses, according to a help page. Any images, attachments, or transcripts need to be saved before then because everything is being deleted.

f you still have an AOL Instant Messenger account, now might be a good time to start saying your goodbyes. In ten weeks—the morning of December 15th to be precise—AIM will be shut down. The writing has been on the wall for some time—in March, AIM stopped supporting MD5 authentication, cutting off many third-party IM clients (like Adium) from accessing the service.

Now the plan is to disable all AIM services other than @aim.com e-mail addresses, according to a help page. Any images, attachments, or transcripts need to be saved before then because everything is being deleted.

Source: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/kthxbai-aol-instant-messenger-is-being-turned-off-on-december-15th/

Do you know anyone who uses this service?

So a day after Skype gets buried, AOL announces it's shutting down AIM.

Huh.

The must have IM back in the days before Google even existed. No AIM than you were  a nobody.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

33 minutes ago, Daring said:

Huh.

huh? Skype is alive and well. Do you mean Skype for Business (aka: Lync)? That one is a totally different network, protocol, works completely differently. It was Lync, and Microsoft just renamed it to Skype for Business to confuse people in bringing the image of Skype to Lync.

1 hour ago, Daring said:

I get annoyed that it seems like there's always a "new" chat app that everyone is moving to.  AIM, Hangouts, Viber, Skype, Whatsapp, Discord, FB.  Fucks sake can we just get a standard and stick with it for more than a year?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

48 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I get annoyed that it seems like there's always a "new" chat app that everyone is moving to.  AIM, Hangouts, Viber, Skype, Whatsapp, Discord, FB.  Fucks sake can we just get a standard and stick with it for more than a year?

Fully agree. A flavor of the month.

I used to enjoy Trillian. A multiple IM into one IM software. Sadly, several, now popular, IMs don't make their protocol open or closed it up, killing these kind of software.

Personally, I find that Skype does a great job. Although, its biggest mistake is that it needs an account, while platform like Whatsapp uses the users phone number, making it more convenient to get started and share contact info without sharing ones e-mail. Personally, I enjoy sending and receiving SMS through Skype via my phone. It is nice to be able to type SMS with a keyboard. And it works even on a work computer as Skype is built-in with Windows 10. To me that is a killer feature. Downside is that the App on all its platform needs some work. I hope the new platform, while bringing new issues, bring 1 core platform for all other platforms, reducing team splitting, and with the hope that soon, everything will be more polished.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It was a popular program for PCs as a way to communicate with friends and family in the late 90's, to quickly be dethroned by the superior ICQ (which got dethroned by MSN Messenger, then with Skype, then what we have now in terms of Instant Messaging programs).

Your timeline of "what was dethroned by..." is... uh... off.  ICQ didn't dethrone AIM.  AOL bought ICQ and eventually buried it.  (I know, I was there at the time).  AIM kept chugging along happily.  MSN didn't dethrone anyone.  It was laughed at by us at AOL, and then it basically just sorta... died.  Microsoft knew they'd bitten off WAY more than they could chew and gave up on it.

What "dethroned" AIM was time.  Most folks just stopped using instant messages for the most part.

The writing has been on the wall for some time—in March, AIM stopped supporting MD5 authentication, cutting off many third-party IM clients (like Adium) from accessing the service.

Certain clients were cut off.  Adium wasn't one of them.  I'm still logged into AIM right now w/my Adium client.  Pidgin (same source base) also works.  Trillian, however, does not (AFAIK)

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

47 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm glad my circle usually sticks with one for a while. Skype from 2011 - 2016, just moved last year to discord, with Skype as a last resort for screen sharing (Basically inefficient and simple streaming for us). Now there is less reason for us to ever resort back to Skype, especially since it isn't as lean on system resources as Discord. Doubt we will be moving for a few years unless discord makes very bad choices.

25 minutes ago, jasonvp said:

Your timeline of "what was dethroned by..." is... uh... off.  ICQ didn't dethrone AIM.  AOL bought ICQ and eventually buried it.  (I know, I was there at the time).  AIM kept chugging along happily.  MSN didn't dethrone anyone.  It was laughed at by us at AOL, and then it basically just sorta... died.  Microsoft knew they'd bitten off WAY more than they could chew and gave up on it.

AOL bought ICQ when ICQ was dying in popularity. But I think ones perspective depends on ones region and age group. For me MSN Messenger was HUGE when it came. People loved passing their e-mails to share contact info, as you shared something that was easy to remember, and also ones e-mail. ICQ, as opposed to MSN, had a very long number. Lucky if you were the early ones, sucky if you were late to the party where you number was like 20 digits long (exaggeration)

What "dethroned" AIM was time.  Most folks just stopped using instant messages for the most part.

That is not true. IM is massive. Looking at Snapchat, Whatsapp, Viber, Telegraph (mostly Russia if I a not mistaken),  Facebook Messenger, Skype and lots more indicates this. And that is excluding IM in the work space with things like Slack, Microsoft Team, Yammer, and more.

3 hours ago, Daring said:

Huh.

Skype must have internally ran on AOL, they just didn't officially say it to hide the secrets.  That would have explained a lot of the issues

/s xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 hours ago, Daring said:

So a day after Skype gets buried

wtf you talking about?

I love skype

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

wtf you talking about?

I love skype

Discord has video chat and screensharing now. There's no more reason to use that bloated piece of shit called Skype.

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Huh? How is skype dead? All I see is discord adding a couple of new features which skype already have...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 minutes ago, Daring said:

Discord has video chat and screensharing now. There's no more reason to use that bloated piece of shit called Skype.

I use it daily to write my sister when she is on her pc. I ask her if she has discord. I'm not up to date with all that stuff

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Huh? How is skype dead? All I see is discord adding a couple of new features which skype already have...

It's a figure of speech. It's not dead dead, but there's no reason to use it when the competition offers better solutions.

I can't... believe... AIM still exists. My childhood is a lie...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

RIP. I remember using this a lot with gaming buddies back in the late 90s and early 00's over stuff like Yahoo messenger and MSN Messenger. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

6 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

"Flavor of the month" is more of a mobile thing if you ask me. - I still cannot understand Whatsapp, or Snapchat, and the millions of other messaging apps.
Desktop seems to have: Skype, Discord... and Social media website related things. (do those count?.. Ive seriously never seen anyone seriously use Hang outs other then the 'techy' people who had to get on Google+)

Personally my group of friends and a lot of other groups dropped skype due to constant issues with group calls (people getting dropped when other joined, some people unable to enter the call, Videochats dropping when X amount of people enter the call, exc) These weren't issues that suddenly popped up ether, we've had them for years, and it seems like Skype was never going to fix them. - I also recall at some point reinstalling older versions of Skype because Skype actually took away a feature we used?)
Also Skype was never really good when it comes to being part of multiple groups, or extremely large groups (Think 50+ members)

Discord has been rising these past 2 years because of these skype issues, and it seems to be designed with the idea of having large groups of people all at once, and people being part of multiple large groups. Personally I'm mostly part of 3 groups, one with I think 400 users? Another with ~75, and finally my close friends at 15. - Despite all this it feels much more manageable then Skype ever did...

Oh and being able to adjust people's volumes on an individual basis is what sold us on Discord. Seriously...
I cannot state how much it annoyed us that we ether have to ask eachother to adjust our own mic volumes, or live with the fact that 'John' was extremely loud and 'Jamie' was extremely quiet. - I don't understand why Skype never added this, but it was the biggest pain for years.

F

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

6 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I used to enjoy Trillian. A multiple IM into one IM software. Sadly, several, now popular, IMs don't make their protocol open or closed it up, killing these kind of software.

I do miss Trillian. Used it up until 2007-ish, I want to say? I know I was still using AIM while I was in college and don't really remember using it at all after I graduated, which would put it right around the '07 timeframe.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.