iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology
2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@Chaos_Sorcerer I don't think i saw on screen controls so that's why i was curious.

If they just went with only the gesture control i think a lot of people will have problems with that.

It's too early to assume, I guess. I'm sure they've found a way to implement it in a way that doesn't affect the usability of the device too much. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Wait a minute, how come no one is talking about the remarkably, magically designed red dot on the un-compromising new watch? 

So next time when you press it, a police car will show the fuck up and arrest whoever is annoying the shit out of you. 

I'm looking at you @PCGuy_5960

59b83ace3b16c_ScreenShot2017-09-13at3_49_11AM.thumb.png.f1e2025363cc16037454b7f97fd64d26.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

The iPhone 6S was the last iPhone that impressed me. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

14 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

@mynameisjuan How is the fingerprint reader on the S8? It looks really uncomfortable. 

It was overblown about its placement. After using it for a day I actually find the FP placement on my 6P uncomfortable. 

12 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

As another user who has been using S8+ since the device launched I must say I don't agree with this statement,Iris scanning has been pretty spot on for me most and I barely even use the fingerprint but it would be indeed nice to have both on a device.

The iPhone X Demo looked pretty good to me the front camera bezel to me looked like a part of the screen while they were demoing the phone,though it looked a bit weird while they were viewing the video.

Look at earlier post in the thread. I say it works great. But in low light when your pupils overtake your IRIS it will not work....period. And I also said I use it almost primarily and is just as fast as the FP reader. 

I was just pointing out that it will be an issue as you cant always use it due to lighting, IR light or not.

10 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i recently tried using the iris scanner after getting pissed with the fingerprint sensor. it's not bad, tho i wear glasses and the time it takes for me to take it off, i would have already completed my pattern lock and do whatever i have to do. plus i have to hold the phone at an odd angle 

I dont have glasses so I cannot say on this matter. I know some people report using the iris through even sun glasses but have yet to see it work. 

Yet another Apple device that I can't afford.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Just now, Cyberspirit said:

@Chaos_Sorcerer We'll see where they go with the phone. i'm not a huge fan. Never was to be honest.

Yup. I don't wanna make assumptions, but I'm just talking first impressions here. 

I hate the mindset that many of the Apple customers have. Simply, "it's an iPhone, so it's good and will last me a long time". Yes, I am aware of the small community of Apple users who are educated, intelligent, and tech-savvy; I know you have your reasons and I understand them completely. I'm just speaking of the people lined up to purchase the phone right now...those who don't have any idea of what they're paying for but simply do because they believe in the brand. I guess it's the power of marketing. This doesn't just apply to iPhone/Mac users, by the way (iPads and Apple Watches are irrelevant, just like every other tablet/smartwatch). It just seems to be the most prominent among those who purchase Apple products. 

Anyway, I don't wanna make any assumptions here. I actually used to be a fan of Apple up until the iPhone 5S or so. I still have a 2011 MacBook, iPhone 4, and iPad 2 in my house. Apple hasn't really been innovating at all lately, but people still uphold them as some sort of epitome of creative genius. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Why are we talking about IRIS so much? I don't remember hearing anything during the speech about it needing your eyes specifically to unlock. It looked to fully analyze your face so dilated pupils wouldn't matter.

Or am I missing something?

Edit: Just remembered it needs your eyes to be open in order for it to work. Prevents access while your sleeping I'd guess, but still that doesn't mean it relies completely on your eyes.

Any word on the IP rating? Or did I not read that part.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Just now, QuantumBit said:

Any word on the IP rating? Or did I not read that part.

It's probably the same. Actually yes, it is the same. 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Mr Bacon said:

Why are we talking about IRIS so much? I don't remember hearing anything during the speech about it needing your eyes specifically to unlock. It looked to fully analyze your face so dilated pupils wouldn't matter.

Because the closest thing to compare is in the S8 and Note 8 which are IRIS scanners, not facial scanners. I am still interested in how secure apples implementation is of it. But light is still needed either IR or visible to properly scan a face which is the same issue with the S8

Actually, I was hoping some older iPhones would be on a steep discount now that the 8 is out...nope. 

I...kind of....want an iPhone 6S Plus now?

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

@Mr Bacon Yeah the X scans your entire face so it supposed to be able to recognize you even if you are wearing glasses or have different facial hair/hair style.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

2 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

It looks like it is using your face similar to intel real sense, and that will enable it to work without any light. And their only mention of eyes was you need to focus on the phone to unlock it, and this makes perfect sense so you don't unlock it without wanting too. It looks like it will work fine.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

12 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

The iPhone 6S was the last iPhone that impressed me. 

I prefer the SE.. it is a 6s in 5's body. 

Other than the screen size is a bit too small when taking photo, the phone is perfect, 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

It's probably the same. Actually yes, it is the same. 

Shucks. Mind quoting where you saw it? Just curious :ph34r:

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Because the closest thing to compare is in the S8 and Note 8 which are IRIS scanners, not facial scanners. I am still interested in how secure apples implementation is of it. But light is still needed either IR or visible to properly scan a face which is the same issue with the S8

Ah, I see, that makes much more sense now

Edit: There was a stat they threw up for the Touch ID vs Face ID. 50,000 in 1 chance someone could open your phone using TID. 1,000,000 in 1 with FID

Holy shit this is bad... But I am sure a bunch of Apple fanboys will defend it anyway.

Front and back glass - I don't really mind. Will probably result in more broken iPhones (why is it so common to see broken iPhone screens?) but if you just take care of it then it should be fine.

It's a necessary sacrifice to make wireless charging work.

The new A11 SoC sounds very interesting. Just want to tell everyone who said big.LITTLE was a bad concept that you are TOLD as fuck. big.LITTLE was always a far superior concept than just making some high-performance cores. Apple is finally catching up in that regard (although their cores have been fantastic but this is strictly better and something they should have done a long time ago).

Apple designed GPU sounds cool. Didn't expect them to move away from Imagination this quickly.

240 fps 1080p is cool, but the other camera stuff seems kind of uninteresting. Does all iPhones have OIS now or is it still just the plus version?

Wireless charging - Welcome Apple. Late to the party as always, but better late than never. I can't wait for all the Apple fanboys to talk about how good Apple's implementation of this is, despite it being exactly the same standard as Samsung started using in the Galaxy S4, or the Nexus 4, or any of the other Qi enabled phones.

FaceID is a horrible replacement for the fingerprint reader. It's like replacing your hammer with a screwdriver.

Holy shit 1000 dollars for a phone with a bunch of compromises. No thanks.

I have a feeling this would not have been acceptable if Steve was still at the company.

Edit:
Also, is it just me or does the iPhone X look really ugly? Here is a picture comparing it to the Galaxy S 8 (not my picture).

1505243719396.jpg.1c8efee4a64b3d4a4f2a488af92ab651.jpg

8 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Tbh, I'm more interested by that A11 SoC than the actual phone xD

iPhone X will sport the latest A11 chipset and 3 gigs of RAM

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_x_spotted_on_geekbench_iphone_7s_appears_on_antutu-news-27224.php

This benchmark appeared today and is inline with the 25% increase apple said. Apart from the 24MHz clock speed it seems legitimate.

I'm surprised with the IPC and performance of the chip, it is equalish to my 4690k at 3.5GHz and 95W TDP, what magic sauce is apple using to exceed Intel's IPC by 45% estimated at ~5W??

35 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

As an S8+ user who primarily uses IRIS scanner, there will be plenty of times it will be an issue. Thats what the FP is for.

but it isn't and iris scanner

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4