Random ethernet disconnects

My current computer has been having ethernet issues for a year(for as long as i have it).

All other devices on the network do not have this issue,updating the driver does not fix this, neither does resetting windows(which is up to date).

Sometimes i don't disconnect for nearly a week but usually i disconnect 10 to 30 times a day.

Although windows troubleshooter always fixes it it has given like 10 different reasons by now and it often happends again a couple of times a few minutes after fixing it.

I have also noticed that it is more likely to happend if the internet usage is higher.

And it also happends on both wifi and ethernet although those use seperate adapters.

Here are some specs that might be usefull:

Ethernet adapter: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller(Driver version: 10.010.0714.2016)

Link to the router/modem(both are in a single device) http://www.icbn.com.tw/products/product_view_en/28

If anyone requires more information, feel free to ask for it and i'll likely give you it within a day max.

Note:Some things within the eventlog might be in dutch.

eventlogs.evtx

eventlogs_1033.MTA

I really need help with this, i have been to countless forums already wihout any luck.

we need more info such as your pc event viewer log and your router's log.

I assume you have scanned for viruses and malware?

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

I'll edit the main post and put the eventlog in there, and although idk how to get the router log, i'll include a link to the router/modem(modem and router are 1 single device).

And i have already scanned for malware.

Can you show us a screen shot of your network and sharing centre please. like this.

Right click network icon (Left in picture below). Select Network and sharing center

.598f2b3f2b6e4_Capturetaskbar.PNG.cc4893b8f1ba53952dca967c543eadab.PNG

1. Screen cap that page like this.

Capture.PNG.8147813af486b9a1ef220a66d2bc017f.PNG

1. Click on ethernet connection in blue above.
  2. Click details button (shown below).

Capture2.PNG.9eb4a1919eff2c3e1d538c8503922384.PNG

Screen cap that... Sorry for the hasty crappy editing of picture.

Capture3.PNG.741c7d07990991ec67194ba27c8f210e.PNG

1. Then we need to see if the PC is discoverable to devices on the network.
  2. Left click Notifications icon (bottom right - taskbar), then click  network, network settings. (can't screen grab to show you)

598f2b3f2b6e4_Capturetaskbar.PNG.cc4893b8f1ba53952dca967c543eadab.PNG

Then click where it says Network, with the icon, as below.

network.PNG.cf4d5557dcf59e3225a832b2b23c1592.PNG

1. Check the "Make PC discoverable" toggle is ON.

discoverable.PNG.53304e44a7f5f330d2c411e6f1faae94.PNG

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Power adapter of the router/switch can be faulty - at certain power consumption or when it reaches certain temperatures inside, it could become unstable and cause the router/switch to "glitch" or reset.

The supposed relation between high load and problems could be a hint to this - for example, device uses more power at more load, which may "stress" the power adapter just enough to heat it to some threshold where it becomes unstable ... and then as the problem happens the load on the equipment drops and therefore the device uses less power and the power adapter has a few moment to cool down and become stable again.

There could also be just some firmware bugs which may cause the switch / router / whatever to run out of memory and after those issues happen or if the device resets the memory gets cleared and becomes usable again.

The network cable could also have problems , maybe one wire in the jack is slightly loose and if the cable is moved slightly the wire maybe gets loose and then suddenly reconnects. I've had a problem with an ethernet cable and the problem was only happening when someone was opening the window - the air would make the cable hanging down from the switch to move sideways a bit disconnecting for a moment a wire in the rj45 plug which then made contact again as the cable stopped moving.

ps.. oh first step in debugging network related problems... go in the driver settings (device manager) and set to OFF / Disabled ... all the power saving / green ethernet / stand by low power functions of the network card... yeah your network card will use 1-2 watts more on average and you'll pay 5 cents extra on your power bill every year but at least you'll know the network card transmits strong signal through the wires.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, Tommeh1 said:

My current computer has been having ethernet issues for a year(for as long as i have it).

All other devices on the network do not have this issue,updating the driver does not fix this, neither does resetting windows(which is up to date).

Sometimes i don't disconnect for nearly a week but usually i disconnect 10 to 30 times a day.

Although windows troubleshooter always fixes it it has given like 10 different reasons by now and it often happends again a couple of times a few minutes after fixing it.

I have also noticed that it is more likely to happend if the internet usage is higher.

And it also happends on both wifi and ethernet although those use seperate adapters.

Here are some specs that might be usefull:

Ethernet adapter: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller(Driver version: 10.010.0714.2016)

Link to the router/modem(both are in a single device) http://www.icbn.com.tw/products/product_view_en/28

If anyone requires more information, feel free to ask for it and i'll likely give you it within a day max.

Note:Some things within the eventlog might be in dutch.

eventlogs.evtx

eventlogs_1033.MTA

netsh wins reset

run this command under administrator cmd prompt

6 hours ago, Tommeh1 said:

I'll edit the main post and put the eventlog in there, and although idk how to get the router log, i'll include a link to the router/modem(modem and router are 1 single device).

And i have already scanned for malware.

Quote me next time pls.

I couldn't open the MTA file, but your event log shows quite a few errors related to connectivity. Some are just generic "no connectivity" errors while  others show pci errors and DNS errors. I would try flushing your DNS cache and changing your DNS server (in your router/modem) to google's 8.8.8.8

https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-reset-the-dns-resolver-cache-using-ipconfig

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

I noticed an option in windows to fully reset your internet adapters etc and currently it's working fine.

Still thx for the help though if this actually fixed it xD

Once this is fixed i'll have more issues to fix though xD

The issue came back(but slightly different),now whenever windows troubleshooter fixes it it always complains about the gateway not being available which it can temporarely fix.

And not only that, but now not everything loses connection at the same time.

And sometimes the yellow triangle appears on the internet icon, then it appears to have lost ipv6 connection but not ipv4 and then it regains ipv6 connection a couple of seconds later and it's fine again.

And i also noticed that my computer keeps on sending data out whenever it loses internet connection but it won't receive data anymore

And all the things that you guys have suggested until now didn't work sadly enough.

If i don't get more help this is never going to get fixed