Paris is considering eSports for the 2024 Olympics

Just now, spartaman64 said:

where does peak physical condition come into play with rifle shooting, dressage, etc etc

There are a TON of events at the Olympics that I disagree with. Introducing more of them is just furthering the bastardization of the Olympics.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

Ok then tell me why curling is a sport in the Olympics when it doesn't really push the limits of the human body? They basically mop a ice rink while a metal object is gliding down a track.

Where are you getting that only sports that push limits should be allowed? All I am saying is games dont push limits as much as you said they do. 

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

what makes something like rifle shooting a sport but some thing like csgo not a sport. in csgo you have to have precise aim like with rifle shooting and you even move more have fast reaction speeds and teamwork

I just dont consider games sports as its not the same experience. Compare CSGO to even paintball tournies, there's more to it then precise aiming and pressing wasd. There no comparison. 

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

tell me where absolute peak physical human conditioning comes into play in esports...?

this is the freaking OLYMPICS.

Where does peak physical human condition come into play in trap shooting? Curling? I don't think the problem lies in the physical shape of the athletes, but rather in the fundamental differences in complexity (expecially for the viewers) and the much shorter lifespan of eSports compared to "normal" sports.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

tell me where absolute peak physical human conditioning comes into play in esports...?

this is the freaking OLYMPICS.

Tell me where it comes to play in curling? Or any of the other sports in the Olympics that aren't as intensive as some of the major sports. You can say that sports need absolutely peak human condition but many of the sport at the Olympics need different less peak physical condition and more in other areas like knowledge and strategy.

2 minutes ago, Sypran said:

Thats... debatable.  whatever suits the athletes wear are already a free advertisement for various companies like Underarmor, and Nike.
http://www.investors.com/news/how-under-armour-hopes-to-steal-nikes-thunder-at-the-rio-olympics/

Same thing with other equipment that is completely mandatory, like a Bow for archery, and sleds for bobsledding.

But those items don't come from a single supplier nor are they protected by some copyright or patent. If you want to make your own, you can.

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

What will they play 16 years from now? I don't think the olympic model fits esports at all. Athletics have been around for centuries, even the least conventional sports like ping-pong and curling have quite some history and seem like they're here to stay. Videogames on the other hand come in and go out of fashion. 15 years ago Quake 3 was all the rage, now there almost isn't an audience for it anymore. They can't change game every 4 years, can they?

I think this point nails it down the best to toss the idea out. The games change rapidly, and not everyone will be able to keep up.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Where does peak physical human condition come into play in trap shooting? Curling? I don't think the problem lies in the physical shape of the athletes, but rather in the fundamental differences in complexity (expecially for the viewers) and the much shorter lifespan of eSports compared to "normal" sports.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Tell me where it comes to play in curling? Or any of the other sports in the Olympics that aren't as intensive as some of the major sports. You can say that sports need absolutely peak human condition but many of the sport at the Olympics need different less peak physical condition and more in other areas like knowledge and strategy.

There are a TON of events at the Olympics that I disagree with. Introducing more of them is just furthering the bastardization of the Olympics.

thanks

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

which I find depressingly boring to watch

Almost every esports game is as its just watching the same strat over and over. Also you have the most annoying as fuck announcers to make it even worse.

1 minute ago, Sypran said:

Thats... debatable.  whatever suits the athletes wear are already a free advertisement for various companies like Underarmor, and Nike.
http://www.investors.com/news/how-under-armour-hopes-to-steal-nikes-thunder-at-the-rio-olympics/

Same thing with other equipment that is completely mandatory, like a Bow for archery, and sleds for bobsledding.

Yeah, but they can wear whatever they want. Having a CS:GO competition means you can only play CS:GO. It'd be like having a Nike shoe running match. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

There are many physical sports that are on the waiting list. Esport will be at the bottom of the pile.

Unless there will be the summer Olympics, winter Olympics, and Electronic Olympics.

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Almost every esports is. Also you have the most annoying as fuck announcers to make it even worse.

100% opinion. You can say you think it's boring but to state it like it's a fact is just stupid.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Where are you getting that only sports that push limits should be allowed? All I am saying is games dont push limits as much as you said they do. 

I just dont consider games sports as its not the same experience. Compare CSGO to even paintball tournies, there's more to it then precise aiming and pressing wasd. There no comparison. 

what does curling, rifle shooting, track, tennis all have in common that something like csgo doesnt

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

what does curling, rifle shooting, track, tennis all have in common that something like csgo doesnt

are you fucking kidding me?

System specs:

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Almost every esports game is as its just watching the same strat over and over. Also you have the most annoying as fuck announcers to make it even worse.

in other sports like tennis you watch the same technique over and over again. also announcers in football yell GOOOOOOAAAAAAAL and in archery when you get all 3 arrows in the 10 ring the announcer yells TEN TEN TEN TRIFECTO so its not that different

Just now, knightslugger said:

are you fucking kidding me?

what? im asking what is the one thing that all of them have in common that competitive video games doesnt have

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Competing as a team in esports has all the same basic elements as being on any sporting team other than being physically intensive so while you want to say they are completely different they really are way more similar than you give credit.

In my opinion, if Esport becomes an Olympic sport, then baking should be one too, which would be educational as well. Other things include beatboxing, air racing, aerobactics and rope jumping.

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

100% opinion. You can say you think it's boring but to state it like it's a fact is just stupid.

It is my opinion but you are obviously taking these comments seriously as you think I am stating it as fact. 

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

what? im asking what is the one thing that all of them have in common that competitive video games doesnt have

Does a CVG'er train 3 times a day running 10 miles, weightlifting, breathing control, diet discipline, and all the things that go into running, jumping, hurling a cannonball, throwing a spear, launching a discus, returning a serve WITH SPLIT SECOND TIMING, ACCURACY, AND POWER SIMULTANEOUSLY faster than anyone in human existence?

no. not even fucking close. there is ZERO HUMAN CONDITIONING IN ESPORTS. whatever the Olympics is being turned into, i fully and completely disagree with it. 100%.

System specs:

Does a CVG'er train 3 times a day running 10 miles, weightlifting, breathing control, diet discipline, and all the things that go into running, jumping, hurling a cannonball, throwing a speer, launching a discus, returing a serve WITH SPLIT SECOND TIMING, ACCURACY, AND POWER SIMULTANIOUSLY?

no. not even fucking close. there is ZERO HUMAN CONDITIONING IN ESPORTS. whatever the Olympics is being turned into, i fully and completely disagree with it. 100%.

so only sports that need conditioning should be in the Olympics? then what about rifle shooting and dressage

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Does a CVG'er train 3 times a day running 10 miles, weightlifting, breathing control, diet discipline, and all the things that go into running, jumping, hurling a cannonball, throwing a speer, launching a discus, returing a serve WITH SPLIT SECOND TIMING, ACCURACY, AND POWER SIMULTANIOUSLY?

Nope just train hours on end on tactics teamwork communication aim reflexes and all other important aspects of the game. They also have physical therapist and dietitians to ensure they stay healthy so don't act like they don't try incredibly hard to do what they do. Not all sport require the same type of training but the main thing is they all require practice and effort to become the best that they can be. 

all the kids think they will be able to make a living playing video games. most of them already do. -_- 

7 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

in other sports like tennis you watch the same technique over and over again. also announcers in football yell GOOOOOOAAAAAAAL and in archery when you get all 3 arrows in the 10 ring the announcer yells TEN TEN TEN TRIFECTO so its not that different

The difference is in real life you can improve your skill enough to make changes that can make you more competitive that dont follow the guidelines of hard computer code. There is variance, not locked down mechanics which requires cookie cutter builds as a requirement for almost every game. So in esports you just see the same character build or team comp every single time and the strat that follows. 

Also most sport announcers are annoying as fuck as well. I just cant standing caption obvious telling me what I am watching over and over. But its the worst in esports

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Competing as a team in esports has all the same basic elements as being on any sporting team other than being physically intensive so while you want to say they are completely different they really are way more similar than you give credit.

Sure its a team based competition, but teams in games vs teams in real life are completely different in how much skill it takes to actually work together. 

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

How about they add pottery, origami, baking, and painting into the olymipics as well. This is so fucking retarded!

You do realise that most of them things have been in the Olympics in the past, it wasn't always purely sports based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_1948_Summer_Olympics

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

so only sports that need conditioning should be in the Olympics? then what about rifle shooting and dressage

I have no idea what dressage is, but strictly rifle shooting (like F-class) should be removed from the Olympics, IMO.

not just conditioning, but conditioning of the "human condition".

System specs:

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

The difference is in real life you can improve your skill enough to make changes that can make you more competitive that dont follow the guidelines of hard computer code. There is variance, not locked down mechanics which requires cookie cutter builds as a requirement for almost every game. So in esports you just see the same character build or team comp every single time and the strat that follows. 

Also most sport announcers are annoying as fuck as well. I just cant standing caption obvious telling me what I am watching over and over. But its the worst in esports

Sure its a team based competition, but teams in games vs teams in real life are completely different in how much skill it takes to actually work together. 

and you cant improve your skills in competitive video games? and what do you mean no locked down mechanics? in table tennis you get the same forehand top spin, back hand flicks, etc etc and for other sports people generally do the same things as the other players also