Has anybody seen that on some of LTT's pc's, Windows 10 isn't activated and why?

Go to solution Solved by AshleyAshes,

A lot of the PCs seen in LTT don't exist for long.  They build them, they do the video, they disassemble them and the parts are used elsewhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if LTT has enough actual license keys in the office for the current number of builds operational, but with how activation works, it'd a big time sink to ACTUALLY update the the activation for each arrangement of hardware that is built on a deadline and short lived.

Has anybody seen that on some of LTT's pc's, Windows 10 isn't activated and why? Just take a look at some of their videos on pc's.

AMD Fanboy. I'm not trolling, just uninformed. SPECS:

CPU

Ryzen 5 1400

Motherboard

Gigabyte AB350M-Gaming 3

RAM

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX RED 8GB

GPU

MSI RX 560 4GB

Case

Corsair SPEC-04 Red/Black

Storage

Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM

PSU

Corsair CX550M 550 Watt Semi-Modular

If I had to guess, they've got a couple of SSD's ready to go with Win10 already installed on them.  When Windows detects a significant hardware change, it de-activates.  Things that it doesn't care about:  Swapping out/adding more ram, swapping out the GPU, adding drives.  Things that it very much cares about:  Swapping out a processor or motherboard, and usually any change to the boot drive.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

probably because they dont want to pay $100 for every video so they keep ssds with windows on them and just run it with deactivated windows for benchmarks. if it is a personal rig video then i would assume they activate windows as they plan on using the pc often after the video. 

You have 30 days from the install of windows to activate it.

Much easier to blast it away and reinstall each video that pay for activation everything the hardware changes :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

There's not really much point activating Windows on a test bench. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

A lot of the PCs seen in LTT don't exist for long.  They build them, they do the video, they disassemble them and the parts are used elsewhere.  I wouldn't be surprised if LTT has enough actual license keys in the office for the current number of builds operational, but with how activation works, it'd a big time sink to ACTUALLY update the the activation for each arrangement of hardware that is built on a deadline and short lived.

cuz hes not going to pay for a windows license for every single build that he's just going to scrap in 2 weeks

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

In a wan show Linus did say that he/lmg bought enough licences in case "someone" comes in then they can say "here are the licences"

On 08/08/2017 at 10:43 PM, Lurick said:

You have 30 days from the install of windows to activate it.

Much easier to blast it away and reinstall each video that pay for activation everything the hardware changes :) 

Windows 10 can be used without activating it indefinitely since only one item is locked out (that being customisation) and MS is still making money from those installs from all the telemetry they're harvesting and selling on to whomever will pay good money for it.

Just now, demonix00 said:

Windows 10 can be used without activating it indefinitely since only one item is locked out (that being customisation) and MS is still making money from those installs from all the telemetry they're harvesting and selling on to whomever will pay good money for it.

It can be used indefinitely but I think (could be wrong) you get a grace period without the activation background and whatnot. Maybe it's 3 days and not 30

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I think they explain on the WAN show once, they have to keep calling up MS to get it activated which is pointless given that they will have to disassemble it again shortly after. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

On 8/8/2017 at 5:15 PM, Dogmander25 said:

Has anybody seen that on some of LTT's pc's, Windows 10 isn't activated and why? Just take a look at some of their videos on pc's.

Its because they are always changing hardware. Windows does not like it when you change it ton of hardware. Remember on test benches and such they are testing hardware all the time, plus when they do builds and shit, they tear it down later. I doubt they actually even activate Windows when they do a non permanent build. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Clean install for benchmarking.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Don't know about Canadian Law, but in the States under Microsoft Trial Licencing you are allowed to have "Test Rigs." This is even true if you are testing out a config in your company's IT Department. You just can't permanently install on your Production Servers/Client machines. You can also use this for the purpose of setting up different configs in your own Learning Lab. Of course time limitations do apply to each setup. 

It is because they are too cheap to buy a MSDN subscription and because they are not knowledgeable of what they should be paying for.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 8/9/2017 at 3:32 PM, Lurick said:

It can be used indefinitely but I think (could be wrong) you get a grace period without the activation background and whatnot. Maybe it's 3 days and not 30

If I recall correctly, there is also a readily available means of bypassing the background lock. Perhaps I'll test it and report back.

Edit: the customization menu is disabled but simply right clicking a picture and selecting Use As Desktop Background will change the background without complaint. Since no crack or third party software was involved, I feel I'm not breaking any rules by posting this.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

FWIW I actually couldn't even activate a W10 Key I've had for several years now (an upgraded 8.1 key actually) when I tried using it for my now new rig.

I was told that I would have to buy a new key, that I had reached the 'maximum number of installs' on new hardware(I had to reinstall on my iMac.. a lot) and that I would suddenly have to go about installing it as 8.1 first then 'upgrade' to W10.

It felt like a BS answer at the time but, I had 4-5 other key's I've collected over the years so I just gave up at that point. 

In other words at some point their activation servers probably flag the keys as likely stolen and it would be a lot of hassell to try to activate it with no benefit otherwise.