AMD Threadripper won't come with native support for NVMe-Hardware-RAID at launch

Nicnac
Just now, done12many2 said:

Thanks for that.  

Learning has occurred.  It's going to be interesting to see how they end up doing RAID via the CPU.  

I am assuming you can't raid the M.2 drives, or maybe in sata only mode.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

14 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I am assuming you can't raid the M.2 drives, or maybe in sata only mode.

Well, if SATA is supported without going through the chipset, lanes have to be fed to a stand alone SATA controller on the board.  It would also handle the NVMe protical since they are dual purpose M.2 (NVMe/SATA) slots.  Maybe that controller can handle future RAID.

Oh and after further thinking.   Since all 3 M.2 slots on the AsRock board are NVMe/SATA capable, one of those M.2 has to be running off of the chipset since you can only run 2 x SATA directly to the CPU per the chart you provided.  Am I crazy?

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Well, if SATA is supported without going through the chipset, lanes have to be fed to a stand alone SATA controller on the board.  It would also handle the NVMe protical since they are dual purpose M.2 slots.  Maybe that controller can handle future RAID.

Oh and after further thinking.   Since all 3 M.2 slots on the AsRock board are NVMe/SATA capable, one of those M.2 has to be running off of the chipset since you can only run 2 x SATA directly to the CPU per the chart you provided.  Am I crazy?

No you are not crazy, you forgot that is a AM4 chart, so TR4 has 2 dies which means it can do 4 in total.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It would make sense, since in the ASRock board using the U.2 disables one of the M.2, while in the Asus board it seems the U.2 disables the last x8/x4 slot (while having x4 routed to the Dimm.2 slot).

(Notice that the picture is for Ryzen, though, so it has fewer lanes overall).

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It would make sense, since in the ASRock board using the the U.2 disables one of the M.2, while in the Asus board it seems the U.2 disables the last x8/x4 slot (while having x4 routed to the Dimm.2 slot).

(Notice that the picture is for Ryzen, though, so it has fewer lanes overall).

Yeah, I can't help but thinking that the fact that U.2 shuts off one of the M.2 slots, it must be competing on the chipset.  Especially when you consider that there is plenty of SATA/NVMe support directly from the CPU.

Either way, to me, this is the fun stuff.  I don't like buying boards to later find out that something I was planning isn't possible even though it seemed easily done due to a plethora of slots and CPU lanes.

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

Damn, I'm going to have to hand my enthusiast membership card in :(.

Does this means I shouldn't buy mine now ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, I can't help but thinking that the fact that U.2 shuts off one of the M.2 slots, it must be competing on the chipset.  Especially when you consider that there is plenty of SATA/NVMe support directly from the CPU.

Either way, to me, this is the fun stuff.  I don't like buying boards to later find out that something I was planning isn't possible even though it seemed easily done due to a plethora of slots and CPU lanes.

Isn't U.2 a PCIe connector for 2.5" PCIe SSD's

I assume it was that and it would switch do to not having enough lanes.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That makes sense too.  Who knows?  

12 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

12 hours ago, done12many2 said:

That makes sense too.  Who knows?  

U.2 is PCIe and is for 2.5" or 3.5" NVMe SSDs that use standard HDD mounts, it's more commonly found on servers and mostly in 2.5" form factor size. The NVMe server Linus built with Supermicro was all U.2 connected using Intel 750 series SSDs.

23 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks for that.  

Learning has occurred.  It's going to be interesting to see how they end up doing RAID via the CPU.  

Here is the x399 Diagram

kevin_lensing_threadripper_tech_day_lega