Nano Graphene Water Cooling Coolant In Development

From OverClock.Net forum in the Mayhems thread.

Mayhem said:

Mayhems is proud to announce a new partnership with CPI UK (centre for process and innovation) in relation to producing one of the most advance Nano Graphene based non conductive coolant ever seen to date. Up ?to 20% more thermally conductive than water alone from 20c upto 90c also its one of the most chemically stable coolants compered to any other the market brands with less additives. Best of all non toxic! once again only from Mayhems fully IP protected.

Every thing is going though Development atm so it will take some time before every thing is ready. We will be keeping an eye out for possible testers once were ready.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286896/mayhems-users-club/15020#post_26175840

Update: Mick from Mayhems posted this below, updating original post to reflect new information.

Hello All.

Yes we have been working with CPI for a very long time so the message starter on OCN is a little deceiving and ill correct that. We have worked with CPI in the past to make several coolants more stable and the knowledge we have gained from that is allowing us to produce a new coolant from the ground up. The new coolant is a Graphene based type product (cannot go into much detail about it).

What are its advantages so far  and why make it?

1) Its is Chemically inert to PH imbalances.

2) Uses a very limited amount of chemicals.

3) Possibly up to 20 to 30% better cooling than water alone (tested in lab environment not real world as of yet).

4) 1 nm thick (pastel is 40nm and aurora 40 to 100nm)

5) Completely new tech never been done before.

6) Uses tech that lubricates pumps and o-rings on the fly with out wetting them.

7) Will prolong the life of your equipment.

8) Should out last the life of your PC. (TBC)

9) Initially will cost a little more to start with but should come down in price as and if we do go into full production, 

Why do it ... why not :). 

Initially it will not be coloured as this effects its raw performance.

Mick

Too bad Mayhem's isn't on LTT (don't think so anyways).  I'd be first in line to dumping money on a new fluid.  Really they just need to buy the top 5 CPU blocks and have fluid circulating through some 90 degree fittings at a few flow rates for months to make sure the particles don't eventually settle in to corners or get caught by microfins.  It wouldn't be the first "nano" fluid where the particles end up separating out over a few months.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Too bad Mayhem's isn't on LTT (don't think so anyways).  I'd be first in line to dumping money on a new fluid.  Really they just need to buy the top 5 CPU blocks and have fluid circulating through some 90 degree fittings at a few flow rates for months to make sure the particles don't eventually settle in to corners or get caught by microfins.  It wouldn't be the first "nano" fluid where the particles end up separating out over a few months.

True enough - Although I find Mayhems really does their RND well - I follow them a lot on OCN and have to say, they are very communicative with the community and go leaps and bounds (at least publicly) with results they find working with different products on theirs.

I'm hoping Luke comes across this - I know he's quite keen (Myself as well) on Graphene technology.

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The problem i'm having with wanting to cite that is they mention nothing regarding using graphene - The only mention something regarding heat removal, which could have been from early Pastel / Aurora mixes. Since their partnership goes back a long way, it really could be referring to a lot of things as they even mention helping them with their soft tubing.

Further more since the product has not been released, I find it hard to believe CPI would post information publicly about what they are working on, until it has been released.

Hello All.

Yes we have been working with CPI for a very long time so the message starter on OCN is a little deceiving and ill correct that. We have worked with CPI in the past to make several coolants more stable and the knowledge we have gained from that is allowing us to produce a new coolant from the ground up. The new coolant is a Graphene based type product (cannot go into much detail about it).

What are its advantages so far  and why make it?

1) Its is Chemically inert to PH imbalances.

2) Uses a very limited amount of chemicals.

3) Possibly up to 20 to 30% better cooling than water alone (tested in lab environment not real world as of yet).

4) 1 nm thick (pastel is 40nm and aurora 40 to 100nm)

5) Completely new tech never been done before.

6) Uses tech that lubricates pumps and o-rings on the fly with out wetting them.

7) Will prolong the life of your equipment.

8) Should out last the life of your PC. (TBC)

9) Initially will cost a little more to start with but should come down in price as and if we do go into full production, 

Why do it ... why not :). 

Initially it will not be coloured as this effects its raw performance.

Mick

I'm happy you stopped by Mick, thanks for giving out some more information - Looking forward to trying this out. Graphene is such an amazing material with so much potential - I'm always following energy related graphene news (Batteries, solar panels, etc), it never even occurred to me that it could be (In simple terms) "mixed" with water to aid in heat dissipation. It's really cool that you guys utilizing this new technology.

49 minutes ago, DocShay said:

I'm happy you stopped by Mick, thanks for giving out some more information - Looking forward to trying this out. Graphene is such an amazing material with so much potential - I'm always following energy related graphene news (Batteries, solar panels, etc), it never even occurred to me that it could be (In simple terms) "mixed" with water to aid in heat dissipation. It's really cool that you guys utilizing this new technology.

You might want to quote what he said in the OP for people who don't read the entire thread.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Oh that's verry, cool. Hue. 

But anyway really interesting seeing graphene used for various high end stuff. Amazing potential. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Ah

13 hours ago, DocShay said:

Its cannot just be mixed with water. What we are doing is removing atoms from the side of the graphine product and replacing them with some thing else. If we just mixed in water it would fall out instantly. If we use chemicals to suspend it, it would impede its performance. I cannot go into detail again about how we are doing it or what we are doing but its pretty amazing when you see it happening. One of the biggest problems is making sure its none conductive and this opened up a whole realm of issues! but again we have fixed that (in simple terms). This fluid could be used in direct electronics cooling in a closed loop system.... PC cooling is not the only sector we are aiming at with this new product.

1 hour ago, mayhems said:

Ah

Its cannot just be mixed with water. What we are doing is removing atoms from the side of the graphine product and replacing them with some thing else. If we just mixed in water it would fall out instantly. If we use chemicals to suspend it, it would impede its performance. I cannot go into detail again about how we are doing it or what we are doing but its pretty amazing when you see it happening. One of the biggest problems is making sure its none conductive and this opened up a whole realm of issues! but again we have fixed that (in simple terms). This fluid could be used in direct electronics cooling in a closed loop system.... PC cooling is not the only sector we are aiming at with this new product.

Thats really cool. So theoretically speaking - those "mineral oil" pc's - You could use this fluid?

Also in terms of other sectors - Could this be used as a "safe" way to extinguish electronics that were on fire? (Like for instance when Linus's server room goes up in flames ;) )

22 hours ago, NLD1st said:

Sounds cool but I'm guessing it will be expensive compared to water lol. 

Yes but if this means i never or extremely rarely have to change the coolant than it might still be worth it in the long run.

17 hours ago, Ashaira said:

Yes but if this means i never or extremely rarely have to change the coolant than it might still be worth it in the long run.

Hmm true but water is super cheap so we will see. Besides I think you should up date your signature with perhaps dual 1080ti's :P or quadros

Count me in as interested! I have been looking for something new to improve my water loop and I can't add a fourth 360 rad.

It needs to be UV reactive and somewhat Translucent.

The whole "pastel" phase really needs to pass. It's gotten old and you might as well just use solid color tubing.

unpopular opinion is going to be unpopular

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

It needs to be UV reactive and somewhat Translucent.

The whole "pastel" phase really needs to pass. It's gotten old and you might as well just use solid color tubing.

unpopular opinion is going to be unpopular

Eh, you can't get the same colors in tubing as you can when you mix your own pastel color. Also if you want to change colors, you have to rebuild your loop. Not a fan.

On 7/11/2017 at 8:11 AM, DocShay said:

Nano Graphene based non conductive coolant ever seen to date

what a load of crap!

Graphene is one of the most conductive form of Carbon, specifically because the form contains free electrons

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

what a load of crap!

Graphene is one of the most conductive form of Carbon, specifically because the form contains free electrons

It probably has something to do with...

Ah

They have some sort of voodoo going on to make it work...

11 hours ago, DocShay said:

Eh, you can't get the same colors in tubing as you can when you mix your own pastel color. Also if you want to change colors, you have to rebuild your loop. Not a fan.

You just paint the tubing and put them back in. If you end up just using metal tubing of some kind, you can actually just strip the paint (which will also clean and de-grease the entire surface for you as well) and then go to town.

Also worth pointing out that you can do amazing things with paint when it comes to mixing colors or overlays and whatnot. Pearlescent paint jobs, etc.

I just think it looks dumb to put that much effort into building something, and then put red, blue, yellow, or white pastel coolant in there. But of course aesthetics are subjective.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs