NBN: AVC, CVC charges 'put gigabit plans out of reach'

SammoFS
29 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

welcome to australia

6092589349.png

that should be faster than 100%.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

hundred bucks for 1tb? (my maths is fucked)

$1 for 100gb. 

tenner for 1tb

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

$1 for 100gb. 

tenner for 1tb

okay lol

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

4 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

1000/10*(10/100) = $10 per TB (A little more if the provider deals in tibibytes).

well ok then

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

$1 for 100gb. 

tenner for 1tb

what like server is it

fill me in with everything

i dont understand half of it but still please tell me ;w;

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

21 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

what like server is it

fill me in with everything

i dont understand half of it but still please tell me ;w;

it's a virtual server

I get 4 cores and something like 7GB of RAM with a 500GB HDD for free through MS Inspire 

I use it for app installs, essentially anything you want to you can do on it

like playing Hearthstone at school

idk

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

it's a virtual server

I get 4 cores and something like 7GB of RAM with a 500GB HDD for free through MS Inspire 

I use it for app installs, essentially anything you want to you can do on it

like playing Hearthstone at school

wow :P 

so you got it for free?

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Just now, Rika Shiguma said:

wow :P 

so you got it for free?

I get $150 of credit a month through MS Inspire / my school, it's good

$110 goes on the server and $40 for download/upload credit

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

oh okay lol

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

6 hours ago, Droidbot said:

do you mind explaining more please? I might be able to get my school on this idk, depends what it is, googled it quickly but could not found anything just a conference. Or just free stuff. Free stuff is always good. thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

I guess people think its free to deploy fiber especially in areas of low density and a company should go negative just to give Frank his gigabit service which he will not get close to maxing.

Maybe if people actually saw the startup cost for the amount of fiber needed, the tesn of thousands of hours to deploy it, the multiple $10,000 10gb switches and routers to handle the traffic in order to provide gigabit speeds. For use, a 50 mile radius can easily hit over half a million dollars in time and equipment.

I am sorry but residents dont need gigabit. Its a joke when someone says they could max out that connection.

9 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Move to NZ. The salaries are lower, so you still won't be able to afford the $130/month :P.

Because 200mb/s totally isnt 200$/month in montreal

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

11 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

minimum wage in aus is $17.70 lol

Lol.. That's what, $19.15 vs our minimum wage of $14.75 NZD. 

11 hours ago, WindowsXP16 said:

Maybe because their population is a quarter of Australia's and according to this site Australia ranks 32 for the most internet usage opposed to New Zealand who ranks 81.  Which means New Zealand know not much of their people use internet which means its cheaper for them to achieve higher speeds. Australia on the other hand use internet quite a bit with more population as well.

Honestly I don't know and these are just assumptions but I do wish Australia can have 1Gbps

Your argument makes no sense? You're saying that because less people use it, it's cheaper to supply... NZ has a 89.4% usage of the internet according to the website you used, vs Australia which has a 85.1% which means that NZ uses the internet more by your own argument. 

What you need to figure out is cost of delivery, which the majority of the costs are in laying the infrastructure. Here in NZ that costs about $1000/m if you're using Chorus, and we use FTTP.

Please note that when you make a counter argument to this, you can't use the argument that Australia is bigger because it only applies to cities and towns, where Australia has a much higher population density which will reduce the cost of delivery along with economies of scale meaning the per-capita cost, in theory, should be lower. 

Consumer connections are not business connections, and costs can be hugely different as requirements for business lines are usually much leaner with dedicated bandwidth, vs the overselling on consumer lines. 

source: http://www.internetlivestats.com/internet-users-by-country/

11 hours ago, Droidbot said:

erm.. I have no idea, it comes standard on my server. I get billed per 10GB block, which iirc is $10c/10gb block upload or dl

but that's in bulk and all of the nodes are wired to the same avc so technically it's cheaper but they're buying a fucktonne of bandwidth

No fair. This is all my servers get

6167632944.png

6167644883.png

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

No fair. This is all my servers get

6167632944.png

6167644883.png

basic or standard? standard has dual 1gigs on the sydney dc

4 hours ago, mcraftax said:

do you mind explaining more please? I might be able to get my school on this idk, depends what it is, googled it quickly but could not found anything just a conference. Or just free stuff. Free stuff is always good. thanks

it's called imagine not inspire im an idiot

I have no idea why my school is signed up to it

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

basic or standard? standard has dual 1gigs on the sydney dc

Just basic, and they aren't data servers either. Just a DC and ADFS

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I guess people think its free to deploy fiber especially in areas of low density and a company should go negative just to give Frank his gigabit service which he will not get close to maxing.

Maybe if people actually saw the startup cost for the amount of fiber needed, the tesn of thousands of hours to deploy it, the multiple $10,000 10gb switches and routers to handle the traffic in order to provide gigabit speeds. For use, a 50 mile radius can easily hit over half a million dollars in time and equipment.

I am sorry but residents dont need gigabit. Its a joke when someone says they could max out that connection.

Exactly - I agree with what the NBNCo were saying - even if gigabit was given out for free, the vast majority of people would not use it. The majority of internet traffic is HTTP/HTTPS as well as streaming content - none of which benefit by having gigabit over 100mbit.

15 hours ago, WindowsXP16 said:

Maybe because their population is a quarter of Australia's and according to this site Australia ranks 32 for the most internet usage opposed to New Zealand who ranks 81.  Which means New Zealand know not much of their people use internet which means its cheaper for them to achieve higher speeds. Australia on the other hand use internet quite a bit with more population as well.

Honestly I don't know and these are just assumptions but I do wish Australia can have 1Gbps

15 hours ago, WindowsXP16 said:

Well that explains it. Our taxes aren't enough to fund Australia for better internet. Besides 3Mbps is quite plenty for my needs and maybe for most people as well but that 1Gbps would be incredible though.

A lot of people watch Netflix here in NZ along with other TV on demand services. Those require 9Mbps for HD and if two people want to watch different things on different devices that's 18Mbps minimum but you actually need slightly more, then if another person wants to browse the internet and watch youtube more again.

The minimum speed offered on our UFB network is 30Mbps which is well reasoned and basically calculated from the above usage scenario.

If you look at any internet usage data of NZ and it's more than a year old it's useless and irrelevant now, we also have a ton or rural houses that if excluded would change the results significantly. Statistics and data is a wonderful thing but you need to be aware of what it means and what it is showing and not showing.

Edit:

Also that source, thanks @Belgarathian, doesn't even show data usage and it's just purely population. What is that supposed to show? We already know Australia has more people, it doesn't give any information on how NZ or AUS use their internet and I can assure you people in NZ use a lot more than AUS do now.

8 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

Because 200mb/s totally isnt 200$/month in montreal

I get 150mb/s for $40 here in Vancouver. $80 regular price. Shaw (western incumbent)

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I am sad, I can't get 300mb/s for $40 like I can in Taiwan. Instead I get this crap speed for $40:

6168201467.png

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 hours ago, DrMikeNZ said:

1000/10*(10/100) = $10 per TB (A little more if the provider deals in tibibytes).

and providers are worried about the cost of data.

5 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Exactly - I agree with what the NBNCo were saying - even if gigabit was given out for free, the vast majority of people would not use it. The majority of internet traffic is HTTP/HTTPS as well as streaming content - none of which benefit by having gigabit over 100mbit.

i kinda do, if they did 500/300 that'd be nice

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

A lot of people watch Netflix here in NZ along with other TV on demand services. Those require 9Mbps for HD and if two people want to watch different things on different devices that's 18Mbps minimum but you actually need slightly more, then if another person wants to browse the internet and watch youtube more again.

The minimum speed offered on our UFB network is 30Mbps which is well reasoned and basically calculated from the above usage scenario.

If you look at any internet usage data of NZ and it's more than a year old it's useless and irrelevant now, we also have a ton or rural houses that if excluded would change the results significantly. Statistics and data is a wonderful thing but you need to be aware of what it means and what it is showing and not showing.

Edit:

Also that source, thanks @Belgarathian, doesn't even show data usage and it's just purely population. What is that supposed to show? We already know Australia has more people, it doesn't give any information on how NZ or AUS use their internet and I can assure you people in NZ use a lot more than AUS do now.

Assumption I'm just trying to help by giving ideas, geez no need to be aggressive. I just did a quick google search and besides I said:

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

Honestly I don't know and these are just assumptions

I'm just another person strolling the forms really.

Just now, WindowsXP16 said:

Assumption I'm just trying to help by giving ideas, geez no need to be aggressive. I just did a quick google search and besides I said:

I'm just another person strolling the forms really.

Sorry wasn't trying to be aggressive.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Sorry wasn't trying to be aggressive.

New zealanders tend to get A N G E R Y

*continues to cook spider*

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)