Tons of Apple phones to be reset?!!!

gift cards are often used as payment on the black and gray market, although most of those prefer anonymized cryptocurrency. amazon gift cards and apple gift cards are among some i've spotted as payment options or as salary options. with something high profile like this it seems stupid though, especially since the vendor is the controller of the cards, they can simply trace it.

2 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

This is really frightening and shows even apples closed ecosystem can be hacked.

Were you under the impression that iOS was unhackable? A lot of the exploits found I'm safari also work on ios, how do you have jail breaking works? 

Still they are pretty dumb to ask for itune vouchers, as soon as they are used they will be a trail. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Were you under the impression that iOS was unhackable? A lot of the exploits found I'm safari also work on ios, how do you have jail breaking works? 

Still they are pretty dumb to ask for itune vouchers, as soon as they are used they will be a trail. 

Screen lock bypasses are still a thing too.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

read the linked article. honestly i bet they're bluffing with the resetting on April 7th. Seems too stupid. like honestly, asking apple of all people for $100k in Itunes gift cards? might as well ransom six flags and say they need to give you 50 seasons passes per year for 6 years. and the inconsistency in the numbers they give out makes it quite swisspicious.

/pun

daily pun requirement met. I can now sleep happy later on

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Weird , am i the only one thinking this is a mighty low ransom amount of cash, they could've easily gotten 10x amount off of that if it was a legitimate threat

Details separate people.

If this was in any way a serious threat, then the attention is of greater value to the suspect than the ransom itself. Apple, being a veteran tech company, probably has backups in place should such ocassions occur. They're a big target after all. 

I do express doubts as to the legitimacy of this "threat" however. Most likely, the suspect came up with the low amount in hopes of Apple paying out vs the potential legal or publicity trouble that may (most likely not) arise. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just as an example, MS provides backups for all their phones so when you have to a new phone or reset your phone will migrate your settings including your home screen and apps from your account associated with your email and set your phone back to how you had it. Super nice to have.

Since I do preview builds on my phone it is nice to have this function for when a preview build happens to be unstable you need to reset it all just come right back to the way I had it. 

Apple, I would presume, has a similar system in place? if not they should otherwise that would another reason I would not get an iPhone.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, Lurick said:

To me it sounds like a bunch of idiots who don't have any data and are just hoping to make a quick buck.

I'm actually surprised that Apple responded.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

2 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Just as an example, MS provides backups for all their phones so when you have to a new phone or reset your phone will migrate your settings including your home screen and apps from your account associated with your email and set your phone back to how you had it. Super nice to have.

Since I do preview builds on my phone it is nice to have this function for when a preview build happens to be unstable you need to reset it all just come right back to the way I had it. 

Apple, I would presume, has a similar system in place? if not they should otherwise that would another reason I would not get an iPhone.

I think iCloud can at most backup iMessage and WhatsApp messages, photos, music, and contacts. Don't think it can migrate settings like Windows.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I think iCloud can at most backup iMessage and WhatsApp messages, photos, music, and contacts. Don't think it can migrate settings like Windows.

Yeah it super nice to have the backup Windows Mobile has, when I migrated from my Lumia 925 to my Lumia 95XL all I had to do was enter my email and my I was ready to go after everything downloaded. There was maybe a few settings I had to change manually but otherwise it was as if I had to do nothing. very nice. 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah it super nice to have the backup Windows Mobile has, when I migrated from my Lumia 925 to my Lumia 95XL all I had to do was enter my email and my I was ready to go after everything downloaded. There was maybe a few settings I had to change manually but otherwise it was as if I had to do nothing. very nice. 

windows phone doesn't have enough people for hackers to care.  

Screen shot 2014-10-20 at 2.00.01 PM.png

10809143.jpg

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

windows phone 

Hey now .... I have said many times. :P  Love my Windows Phone and Windows Mobile. As a matter of fact I just proved it has a superior function over iPhone .... lol and that not the only one.

Anyhow we are off topic time to steer back.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

7 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

100000 dollars in iTunes gift cards.

This group clearly isn't that smart... If Apple were to give them said gift cards, then if they used them, they'd be able to be tracked pretty easily. And trying to sell off $100,000 in iTunes gift cards will draw a bit of attention too.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

I just proved it has a superior function over iPhone

.... yes it has a superpower of not having any good apps. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

.... yes it has a superpower of not having any good apps. 

That is a myth. anyhow back to the topic..........

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

That is a myth. anyhow back to the topic..........

last time, i hate "myths"

• Number of apps available in leading app stores 2014   Statistic.png

i am wondering what they hope to gain by this, apple most likely will catch them. 

5 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

last time, i hate myths 

• Number of apps available in leading app stores 2014   Statistic.png

5 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

<snip>

Wowwwwww.. I had a good laugh.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

ios does that too :dry:

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

I have an iPhone. iCloud backups everything from photos to app data, and even your text messages (iMessage+SMS). Its not bad. Itunes can also wireless sync and backup iPhones and iPads over WiFi in addition to iCloud. 

Backups are pretty automatic. IIRC incremental backups happen at least once a day, or whenever you take a new photo (for pictures). When you buy a new iPhone, pretty much everything will sync right back up.

As for the iTunes gift cards, I hope that is a joke, it'll be easy for Apple to track them down based on where they were redeemed by IP address, computer, mobile device (iPhone) etc. Its analogous to using a stolen credit card, you'll be tracked immediately via the POS terminals.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Bitcoins make sense. But even if Apple did pay the iTunes cards, couldn't they simply then go ban any account that redeems said cards? They would have the iTunes Card number info on file.

Anyway, I suspect this is either bluffing, or they simply socially engineered their way into a bunch of leaked login info.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

43 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

But even if Apple did pay the iTunes cards, couldn't they simply then go ban any account that redeems said cards?

No, those cards will probably be sold and Apple wouldn't want to ban people just because they bought an iTunes gift card from the wrong person.  That would lead to a lot of bad press and perhaps some lost sales too.