Optus THREATENS to shut off Cable users in NBN-Ready Area's.

SammoFS

Just as the Title says, Optus is threatening to shut off it's NBN-Ready Users that are still using the HFC-Cable Network (Since they want to shut it down I believe.) 

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/optus-killing-pay-tv-in-nbnready-areas-what-are-the-alternatives-20170309-guv3ey.html

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/optus-threatens-disconnection-to-sign-up-nbn-customers-and-fasttrack-hfc-cable-shutdown-20170310-guv5ek.html

In some NBN-ready areas Optus has been threatening cable customers with telephone and broadband disconnection in 30 days if they don't move across to the NBN, then taking advantage of that tight deadline to coerce customers into sticking with Optus when switching to the NBN.

I personally think this is bulls!#t. I think people would rather stay on a nice 30/2 or 100/2 network instead of 40 kbps download and 2kbps upload speeds on a 100/40 plan with the nbn. (true story tho)

Optus' heavy-handed migration tactics are focusing on areas which have both Optus and Telstra HFC cable in the street. The NBN has decided to scrap the Optus cable but keep the Telstra cable so, as soon as Telstra's cable becomes NBN's cable, Optus is pushing their customers across. These Optus customers will lose their Optus Pay TV, but if you're getting Foxtel via the Telstra cable it will continue working once it becomes NBN cable.

Some relief for those on Pay TV (Foxtel is basically a pay TV service that offers you some american shows like MTV and others, even Cartoons like Futurama,The Simpsons and Family Guy) (Yes I know futurama and the simpsons already air on FTA tv in melbourne and other states in aus.) But Optus is being Really Forceful.. Yes I get they wanna switch off the HFC-Cable Network but you gotta allow time for some people to choose.. personally I'm stuck on 4/0.80 and it's driving me mad (Since I do youtube videos for my small not funny channel) I would go with MyRepublic (ISP) for 100/40 since it's their only plan really, for 59.99 per month I think it's decent. and from the results i've seen. It's good. (I'm just gonna end my mini-rant here.)

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

7 minutes ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

Sometimes I feel like Australia is one of the worst developed countries in the world for tech in general. 

Australia just seems like a very conservative and backwards thinking country. The attitude towards tech just isn't there. 

Its not really the general populace that's the problem....its the old farts in charge of things (similar to the US).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

19 minutes ago, FriendlyNonMurderingSort said:

Sometimes I feel like Australia is one of the worst developed countries in the world for tech in general. 

Australia just seems like a very conservative and backwards thinking country. The attitude towards tech just isn't there. 

Are you from Australia? Because this is a bit more complicated than just bad for tech..

It's pretty damn good for tech actually, really good place to work and plenty of places to work in the IT industry. AWS, Google and Microsoft among them. A few areas of our broadband infrastructure being replaced by FTTC which will cause cable connections to have to either be replaced by IPTV or Satellite isn't a big deal.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

4 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Are you from Australia? Because this is a bit more complicated than just bad for tech..

It's pretty damn good for tech actually, really good place to work and plenty of places to work in the IT industry. AWS, Google and Microsoft among them. A few areas of our broadband infrastructure being replaced by FTTC which will cause cable connections to have to either be replaced by IPTV or Satellite isn't a big deal.

How is this GOOD? the Australian government wants us to have fast internet, Yet they're Disabling one of the best things we have at the moment besides the nbn...

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

3 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

I personally think this is bulls!#t. I think people would rather stay on a nice 30/2 or 100/2 network instead of 40 kbps download and 2kbps upload speeds on a 100/40 plan with the nbn. (true story tho)

Shots fired!

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

2 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

How is this GOOD? the Australian government wants us to have fast internet, Yet they're Disabling one of the best things we have at the moment besides the nbn...

Well, it's not news for one (cut off for cable and ADSL deadline was provided years ago), and secondly. It's way more expensive for both Optus and NBN to keep that network running. The whole idea of the NBN is for people to use it in order to pay it off. 100/40 available on NBN is better anyway. What you said about 40Kbps download and 2Kbps upload is actually just nonsense. What you're referring to is congestion which is fixed by not going on Dodo for $10 a month. Yes NBN need to reduce their CVC charges more, something which they are actively doing. However for the price Optus charge for their cable services people can pay for an uninterrupted 100/40 connection through the NBN which is better for the environment as it uses way less power and it's more cost effective to run. 

The issue of people's pay tv connections through Optus cable being cut off is not actually an issue? The same services will still exist, just over different technologies.

@kiska3 Don't assume he's correct.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

3 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Well, it's not news for one (cut off for cable and ADSL deadline was provided years ago)

Seems good I'm not the only person who remembers this. Infrastructure changes takes time in oz since no one wants to pay for it, meh most complaints over nbn are from people who don't remember it wasn't that long ago idsn was the only decent net connection in most of oz.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

We feel your pain Aussies.

Our new president has just put a puppet for the ISP and Cable lobby, in charge of the FCC.

They are flat out ending all Net Neutrality rules. Good news for the democrats I guess, they'll be winning back congress in 2018 as a result.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

We feel your pain Aussies.

Our new president has just put a puppet for the ISP and Cable lobby, in charge of the FCC.

They are flat out ending all Net Neutrality rules. Good news for the democrats I guess, they'll be winning back congress in 2018 as a result.

The bad news: They'll more than likely choose another poor candidate.

PMSL

20 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The bad news: They'll more than likely choose another poor candidate.

Probably. They don't seem to have learned that screeching at people is why they lost.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Well, it's not news for one (cut off for cable and ADSL deadline was provided years ago), and secondly. It's way more expensive for both Optus and NBN to keep that network running. The whole idea of the NBN is for people to use it in order to pay it off. 100/40 available on NBN is better anyway. What you said about 40Kbps download and 2Kbps upload is actually just nonsense. What you're referring to is congestion which is fixed by not going on Dodo for $10 a month. Yes NBN need to reduce their CVC charges more, something which they are actively doing. However for the price Optus charge for their cable services people can pay for an uninterrupted 100/40 connection through the NBN which is better for the environment as it uses way less power and it's more cost effective to run. 

The issue of people's pay tv connections through Optus cable being cut off is not actually an issue? The same services will still exist, just over different technologies.

@kiska3 Don't assume he's correct.

I'm not spouting nonsense. A LOT of people on Telstra/Optus/TPG Have all experienced "Congestion" (not really) Having BELOW HALF Of what they are Paying for more than 40% of the time. the NBN is turning out to be a joke.

Yes I understand cable is really a thing in the past and we should move on to fibre (And according to the nbn, Their "Skinny" fibre) (wtf is that anyways lol, cheaper and skinnier I heard.)

I know pay TV will still exist on other technologies.

"Don't assume he's correct" Why am I being Targeted?

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Threaten??? my friend did have his cable shut off he now moved to FTTN NBN and has worse internet

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

6 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

I'm not spouting nonsense. A LOT of people on Telstra/Optus/TPG Have all experienced "Congestion" (not really) Having BELOW HALF Of what they are Paying for more than 40% of the time. the NBN is turning out to be a joke.

Yes I understand cable is really a thing in the past and we should move on to fibre (And according to the nbn, Their "Skinny" fibre) (wtf is that anyways lol, cheaper and skinnier I heard.)

For example, I'm paying for 20/1 on ADSL2. Telstra said that the actual speed would be 9/1 (aka, they fucking know that they can't deliver 20Mbps, so they are lying), and we initially got 9Mbps for a few months before it suddenly dropped to just over 7Mbps and stayed that way.

PMSL

One of the Main Reasons that i'm with Telstra

(mainly because i'm hosting some servers for work and work pays for it, only use it for work and watching LTT 4K videos)

;) 

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

14 hours ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Uhh no.. Wheres the data to indicate people are on half speed for 40% of the times?

7 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

For example, I'm paying for 20/1 on ADSL2. Telstra said that the actual speed would be 9/1 (aka, they fucking know that they can't deliver 20Mbps, so they are lying), and we initially got 9Mbps for a few months before it suddenly dropped to just over 7Mbps and stayed that way.

This is about NBN which doesn't use or relate to ADSL.

yea thouse f#ckwits disconnected all of wagga with the nbn becouse thay "accidentally" cut the copper this is BU#$%HIT

just go with spintel they are cheep and not going to fu#k you over

Beth Foster

Xbox Modder, Network Person, Aussie

2 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Hey hey, He can share his story. I have no clue why you're being a dick to us.

2 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Uhh no.. Wheres the data to indicate people are on half speed for 40% of the times?

What I'm saying is, Is that people who are offpeak, (midnight n shit when people aren't on it as much) they still experience VERY Slower speeds than what they bought.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

4 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

It was an example of ISP knowingly selling people speeds that they know they can not deliver. It may be ADSL but the NBN is just as bad if not worse for the same problem amongst ISP. Dick.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

It was an example of ISP knowingly selling people speeds that they know they can not deliver. It may be ADSL but the NBN is just as bad if not worse for the same problem amongst ISP. Dick.

A LOT of ISP's in australia Can't deliver services they say they can provide.

"Dick" What's up your ass?

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

11 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

A LOT of ISP's in australia Can't deliver services they say they can provide.

"Dick" What's up your ass?

A Templar.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

A Templar.

:P

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Telstra, pay for 100/40 attached what i get speedwise, it's still good but its nowhere near advertised FTTP, if i pay for 50/20 i get about 15/4 
6126546239.png

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

10 hours ago, JaeDee884 said:

Telstra, pay for 100/40 attached what i get speedwise, it's still good but its nowhere near advertised FTTP, if i pay for 50/20 i get about 15/4 
6126546239.png

I know a number of people on Telstra with FTTN and get 100/40 speeds. If you are getting 44/16 on 100/40 plan with FTTP it's probably your modem or your wifi.