Remember IBM?

Go to solution Solved by Drak3,

Yeah I 'member, you 'member?

685741_1.jpg

I'm just wondering. What has IBM been doing besides WATSON. I cant get a stright/clear answer. Anyone one of those IBMers here also?

EDIT: I use the LENOVO Thinkpad P70 in its highest configuration

Edited by IBM_THINKPAD_R51

ThinkPad got me through engineering, i could never forget, sadly Lenovo bought ThinkPad so with Lenovo history of virus i could never buy another Thinkpad. 

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

ThinkPad got me through engineering, i could never forget, sadly Lenovo bought ThinkPad so with Lenovo history of virus i could never buy another Thinkpad. 

Until OEMs start producing bloatware free windows machines, expect to see more of this nonsense. At least with Windows 10 you can download an ISO from MS and get a clean one

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Until OEMs start producing bloatware free windows machines, expect to see more of this nonsense. At least with Windows 10 you can download an ISO from MS and get a clean one

Lenovo put rootkit in bios 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/lenovo-rootkit-ensured-its-software-could-not-be-deleted/

http://thehackernews.com/2015/08/lenovo-rootkit-malware.html

didnt they with microsoft just figure out how store data at atom level per bit

see popsci site

3 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Doesn't affect Linux. ;)

that's nice to hear, now let's try to run engineering program in linux like cad, play halo or try to connect it to a ti89. 

Lenovo was fine until they designed and made the T520, W520, etc. The T, W, etc. 510 and under were great! IBM will always have my backing.

Dad sold so many T50s that I lost count. They were great laptops. Same with T60.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

Did you know that IBM helped Hitler with his genocide of the Jews?

Ford did the same, Ford is actually quite hateful towards the Jews.

Just so you know the history of the company is the only reason I responded. I made an ethical choice to not buy IBM.

http://www.11points.com/News-Politics/11_Companies_That_Surprisingly_Collaborated_With_the_Nazis

IBM. IBM custom-build machines for the Nazis that they could use to track everything... from oil supplies to train schedules into death camps to Jewish bank accounts to individual Holocaust victims themselves.

In September of 1939, when Germany invaded Poland, the "New York Times" reported that three million Jews were going to be "immediately removed" from Poland and were likely going to be "exterminat[ed]."

IBM's reaction? An internal memo saying that, due to that "situation", they really needed to step up production on high-speed alphabetizing equipment. (Source: CNet)

Ford

Ford. Henry Ford is a pretty legendary anti-Semite, so this makes sense. He was Hitler's most famous foreign backer. On his 75th birthday, in 1938, Ford received a Nazi medal, designed for "distinguished foreigners."

He profiteered off both sides of the War -- he was producing vehicles for the Nazis AND for the Allies.

I'm wondering if, in a completely misguided piece of logic, Allianz points to the Detroit Lions giving Ford the naming rights to their stadium as a reason why they should get the rights to the Meadowlands. (Source: Reformed Theology)

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Only on consumer machines, Think-branded machines are unaffected. They're still solid machines, even with Lenovo's track record. Comprehensive BIOS,  tank build quality, etc. I still like my EliteBooks, but the older ones were better :P

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Only on consumer machines, Think-branded machines are unaffected. They're still solid machines, even with Lenovo's track record. Comprehensive BIOS,  tank build quality, etc. I still like my EliteBooks, but the older ones were better :P

in my head Thinkpad died when it was sold to Lenovo, quality is not the same anymore in my opinion. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

in my head Thinkpad died when it was sold to Lenovo, quality is not the same anymore in my opinion. 

have you seen the x1carbon? it's a fuckin tank matey

idk

33 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

have you seen the x1carbon? it's a fuckin tank matey

its not the same, sadly old reliability is gone, i really don't trust Lenovo especially after what happened with motorola lawsuits.  

We have a bunch of Lenovo Thinkpads at work with Broadwell i7s in them. They're pretty meh to be honest but I still prefer them over the Asus laptops we have with i7s and 960m's which have god awful slow HDDs which makes Windows have horrible response times along with overall terrible battery life.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

connect it to a ti89. 

try TiLP, its actually better than ticonnnect

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

12 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

IBM sold their home market to Lenovo and only focuses on AI and server solutions.

IBM sold their server market to Lenovo also. I think they just collect money from all patents.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 hours ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

I'm just wondering. What has IBM been doing besides WATSON. I cant get a stright/clear answer. Anyone one of those IBMers here also?

EDIT: I use the LENOVO Thinkpad P70 in its highest configuration

I use some IBM/Lenovo servers, they're mostly in Business technology now, as is their name after all. Do they own Lenovo or vice versa, because they work with each other an awful lot. 

Yours faithfully

10 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its not the same, sadly old reliability is gone, i really don't trust Lenovo especially after what happened with motorola lawsuits.  

They screwed up the keyboard. The T520 was pure awesome.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Isn't IBM doing some server CPUs still?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

The big corporate ones, or the Thinkservers and server racks?  I meant like the ones that cost 75 grand-5 million.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lenovo-ibm-deals-idUSKCN0HO08N20140929

I don't know so much about servers. But that reads that Lenovo had smaller server business before deal and now they have it all. Or something like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Linux ftw

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

IBM sold their server market to Lenovo also. I think they just collect money from all patents.

They only sold the intel-based server business to Lenovo. (the smaller stuff)

For their massive corporate servers, they sold their proprietary hardware manufacturing to GlobalFoundries, and now they sell their "own" hardware which is purchased from semiconductor foundries, much the same way AMD does.

I am an ethical buyer, prefer not to buy from companies that supported and helped genocide.