Ryzen 7.. Win 10 or 7??

Vash.

Currently in the process of upgrading and building a new rig and thinking what to do via OS. 

- New rig will be R7-1800x & vega based card (when it comes out)

- Presently have a copy of Win 7 Pro 64bit 

- Planned use: Graphic design, Photography, gaming, VR and perhaps video editing. Mixture of work and play

Biggest question, will one OS offer any massive advantages over the other given intended build & use..

Thanks guys :) 

EDIT: Prob should mention iv mostly been using Mac for the better part of 5 years and switching back to PC for obvious reasons so I'm kind of out of the loop a little.

I don't think windows 7 supports Ryzen. it was a rumor that was quashed IIRC

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

I don't think windows 7 supports Ryzen. it was a rumor that was quashed IIRC

Ahhhhh.. well that might make it a simple choice in that case

Quick google search still offers no clear information with conflicting reports as recent as post announcement. 

Cant seem to find any driver details on AMD website either

4 minutes ago, Vash. said:

Planned use: Graphic design, Photography, gaming, VR and perhaps video editing. Mixture of work and play

From my own experience, Windows 10 is better for most of this stuff, and I use the Insider (fast ring) builds so it should be buggier for me than it would be for you. Though you can always dual boot or use a VM in a lightweight Linux distro if you NEED Windows 7 for some reason.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0

Just now, TeoIzAwezome said:

From my own experience, Windows 10 is better for most of this stuff, and I use the Insider (fast ring) builds so it should be buggier for me than it would be for you. Though you can always dual boot or use a VM in a lightweight Linux distro if you NEED Windows 7 for some reason.

Cheers.. Still reading up on Win 10 and how people feel about it. From privacy issues to stability in certain cases. Guess Win7 has been around longer and more bugs have been ironed out. You could say I'd want to jump ship later rather then sooner so 10 is more refined. 

You can't legally buy windows 7 anymore except via VL. So consider that when youre shopping search lands on reddit or a product key market place

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

You can't legally buy windows 7 anymore except via VL. So consider that when youre shopping search lands on reddit

Already own a copy mate so thats all good :) 

Ryzen offers no official support for windows 7... However you're left with windows 10, 8, or linux....Personally I'd pick linux as the other two are just awful with new issues turning up for windows 10 every patch as microsoft starts treating their customers more as a product than an end user.

18 minutes ago, Vash. said:

Cheers.. Still reading up on Win 10 and how people feel about it. From privacy issues to stability in certain cases. Guess Win7 has been around longer and more bugs have been ironed out. You could say I'd want to jump ship later rather then sooner so 10 is more refined. 

The only people having stability issues are the lazy people who can't be bothered to do a clean install.

If you clean install properly it will be as stable as windows 7.

Also, they are not "privacy issues" they are "people too paranoid about telemetry", and unfortunately those people are too ignorant to understand that if they use the internet, there are thousands of other things taking way more data than windows 10.

Instead of being hypocritical, these people need to either A) quit complaining and realize that this is how life works or B) unplug their internet cable and stop using cell phones too

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, slightlyjaded said:

Ryzen offers no official support for windows 7... However you're left with windows 10, 8, or linux....Personally I'd pick linux as the other two are just awful with new issues turning up for windows 10 every patch as microsoft starts treating their customers more as a product than an end user.

Which was my main concern about Win 10 and feel like it would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Sadly I use Adobe Creative Cloud (not supported) and that coupled with new R7/vega might leave Linux for a future endeavour. 

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The only people having stability issues are the lazy people who can't be bothered to do a clean install.

If you clean install properly it will be as stable as windows 7.

Also, they are not "privacy issues" they are "people too paranoid about telemetry", and unfortunately those people are too ignorant to understand that if they use the internet, there are thousands of other things taking way more data than windows 10.

Instead of being hypocritical, these people need to either A) quit complaining and realize that this is how life works or B) unplug their internet cable and stop using cell phones too

Thanks for the input @Enderman

With the right tweaks.. (yay more homework :S) sounds like 10 might need to be the go.

Just now, Vash. said:

Thanks for the input @Enderman

With the right tweaks.. (yay more homework :S) sounds like 10 might need to be the go.

The only tweaks needed are going through all the settings and turn off stuff you don't want.

Just like people should do with any piece of new software.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

The only tweaks needed are going through all the settings and turn off stuff you don't want.

Just like people should do with any piece of new software.

And setup Windows 10 Maintenance schedule and your active hours for Windows Update so that they don't kick-in while you work (They assume a certain time, but we are all different, with different preferences).

• For Maintenance schedule: Start > type: Maintenance , pick: Security and Maintenance to jump directly there, expand "Maintenance", and click on the blue link Change maintenance settings.
  • For Windows Update Active Hours: Start > Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update > Change active hours (The time range when you absolutely don't want it to kick in)

6 hours ago, slightlyjaded said:

Ryzen offers no official support for windows 7... 

Other way around. Ryzen does support Windows 7. It is Windows 7 that wont support Ryzen without extra help. This might seem like a detail, but this was discussed in past threads on Win7 support. Reportedly, AMD did make sure Ryzen works on Windows 7, but neither they nor MS will be releasing the support needed for users to do so.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

18 minutes ago, porina said:

Other way around. Ryzen does support Windows 7. It is Windows 7 that wont support Ryzen without extra help. This might seem like a detail, but this was discussed in past threads on Win7 support. Reportedly, AMD did make sure Ryzen works on Windows 7, but neither they nor MS will be releasing the support needed for users to do so.

No. AMD is not working with Microsoft to add support for Windows 7. Same for Intel latest gen CPU.

The same way AMD has chosen to not support older Linux Kernel, expect the latest official release one and later.

As long as you have a x86 CPU that supports the latest needed tech to get the specific version of Windows running, it will run. You might not get all feature support (including security ones), but it will run. You can install Windows 95 on your Razen or Kaby Lake if you want. But if you have any problems, including stability issues, strange behaviors, lack of support of features or anything else, then you are completely on your own.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

No. AMD is not working with Microsoft to add support for Windows 7. Same for Intel latest gen CPU.

Never said they did. I only said, I recall reports AMD had Ryzen working on Windows 7 to test compatibility. The CPU itself is not the limiting factor. If they had to produce some internal hacked drivers for that testing, or through other means, wasn't stated.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Never said they did. I only said, I recall reports AMD had Ryzen working on Windows 7 to test compatibility. The CPU itself is not the limiting factor. If they had to produce some internal hacked drivers for that testing, or through other means, wasn't stated.

No internal hack drivers needed. You CAN install Windows 7 or Vista, or XP, or 95 as mentioned, on it. It will technically work... but you have no support, and no guaranty that all features will work.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

No internal hack drivers needed. You CAN install Windows 7 or Vista, or XP, or 95 as mentioned, on it. It will technically work... but you have no support, and no guaranty that all features will work.

Do we know of anyone demonstrating Win7 on Ryzen? I will be running Win10 on my planned build, but this almost makes me want to see if I can get 7 on it, if I have enough spare drives.

Not the same thing, but for example I tried installing Win7 on a Braswell system before. I managed to overcome several hurdles but was eventually unsuccessful due to lack of driver support during installation. Win10 just worked right out of the box. So even if it wasn't technically impossible, there are limits to the amount of effort I'd spend on it.

58 minutes ago, porina said:

Do we know of anyone demonstrating Win7 on Ryzen? I will be running Win10 on my planned build, but this almost makes me want to see if I can get 7 on it, if I have enough spare drives.

Not the same thing, but for example I tried installing Win7 on a Braswell system before. I managed to overcome several hurdles but was eventually unsuccessful due to lack of driver support during installation. Win10 just worked right out of the box. So even if it wasn't technically impossible, there are limits to the amount of effort I'd spend on it.

The chip is not out. However, the deal is the same as Kaby Lake, and like any modern CPU with ages old OSs. You can install MSDOS on your system if you want. You can install some Linux distro of 1998 if you want. All those OSs are aged old and beyond any level of support, from any chip you may be using.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

The chip is not out. However, the deal is the same as Kaby Lake, and like any modern CPU with ages old OSs. You can install MSDOS on your system if you want. You can install some Linux distro of 1998 if you want. All those OSs are aged old and beyond any level of support, from any chip you may be using.

I think we're arguing slightly different angles here. So apart from a report AMD have run Win7 on Ryzen, I guess we can say we do not know of anyone having done same yet. Of course, until release there are only limited samples out there.

I'm looking at it from a practical level. Go back to my Braswell attempt as example. The step I failed on was getting a storage controller driver for it. Maybe with more effort I could have found a workaround, but it was a dead end to me. So it is not a case of if Win7 will run on Ryzen, but will us mortals have the software available to do so if we so wished?

While I haven't used 200 series mobos, the 100 series ones I have got all have a "win7 mode" in the bios to ease installation. I'm guessing this wont be appearing with Ryzen, so the difficulty will be increased.

12 minutes ago, porina said:

I think we're arguing slightly different angles here. So apart from a report AMD have run Win7 on Ryzen, I guess we can say we do not know of anyone having done same yet. Of course, until release there are only limited samples out there.

I'm looking at it from a practical level. Go back to my Braswell attempt as example. The step I failed on was getting a storage controller driver for it. Maybe with more effort I could have found a workaround, but it was a dead end to me. So it is not a case of if Win7 will run on Ryzen, but will us mortals have the software available to do so if we so wished?

Ah! Well, your CPU works just fine under the OS, you problem is the chipset, just use a different SATA controller with drives (assuming that really no drivers are found, and Windows generic drivers aren't good either). But the CPU is fine. Windows doesn't fail to startup its setup.

While I haven't used 200 series mobos, the 100 series ones I have got all have a "win7 mode" in the bios to ease installation. I'm guessing this wont be appearing with Ryzen, so the difficulty will be increased.

"Win7 mode" is a wrong term that some motherboard manufacture uses to really say: legacy OS.. or more precisely: BIOS emulation, as Windows 7 and older doesn't support UEFI. You need to turn "Win7 mode" if you install older Linux distro successfully.

@GoodBytes @porina 

I understand both your angles and POV.. Perhaps a Win 7 for giggles might be fun to do but pushing forward this seems like it will be more of a hinderance. Guess ill need to bite the bullet and do the Win 10 thing.

13 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

And setup Windows 10 Maintenance schedule and your active hours for Windows Update so that they don't kick-in while you work (They assume a certain time, but we are all different, with different preferences).

• For Maintenance schedule: Start > type: Maintenance , pick: Security and Maintenance to jump directly there, expand "Maintenance", and click on the blue link Change maintenance settings.
  • For Windows Update Active Hours: Start > Settings (gear icon) > Update & Security > Windows Update > Change active hours (The time range when you absolutely don't want it to kick in)

Great tip!! thanks :)