Disney finally nails free-roaming wireless power delivery

captain_to_fire
9 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Aluminum foil is already used in house wraps, it helps makes homes more Heating/cooling efficient.

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/house-wrap.htm

I don't think my house has that. All I have are steel beams and concrete walls.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I don't think my house has that. All I have are steel beams and concrete walls.

Tyvek is the most common type of house wrap but the aluminum house wrap is becoming an 'albeit' slow popular movement amongst those who want to make their homes 'energy' efficient. You moist likely have Tyvek on your house/building.(it is also used on apartment buildings)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yeah no thanks, I actually like wires.

【=◈︿◈=】

\\ CPU i7-6700k @ 4.4ghz(1.26v) \\ GPU | 1070 FE 8GB  // Audio FiiO E10k / AT M50X //

\\ Monitor | LG 29UM69G-B \\ Phone LG G6 H870DS // Nintendo Switch //

26 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

So in other words you are indescribably lazy and couldn't survive without the assistance of your mother? Because literally all this test by Disney enables is for people to become even fucking lazier.

I mean wireless charging in its current state is already convenient but to say that true wireless charging that requires no pads is laziness is just like again, saying that 4G LTE is useless when things are just fine with 3G.

Spoiler

3G

IMG_5180.PNG

compare that to 4G LTE

IMG_5181.PNG

Can you imagine the convenience of Disney's wireless charging especially for people with big houses? 

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

For a car or a plane that would be no problem but for a house, it could get very expensive. Someone might use aluminum foil as wallpaper then.

It would be an issue in a plane because of limited power supply. 

- snip-

1 hour ago, Eredian said:

Yeah no thanks, I actually like wires.

Because of people like u we are getting limited technology. Thats why I like Apple. They force people like u to get non-wired devices.

But im sure ur a android user so nevermind.

Am i the only one who spluttered and exclaimed 'Disney!?!?' I would expect this from Samsung or Tesla or some other big tech company, not a sub division of Disney of all companies. 

1 minute ago, KE2012 said:

Am i the only one who spluttered and exclaimed 'Disney!?!?' I would expect this from Samsung or Tesla or some other big tech company, not a sub division of Disney of all companies. 

I know right! The thing is, just as knowledge is not limited to the four corners of academia, technological innovation is not limited to tech companies. Who knows, maybe Disney will implement this to one of their rides in Disneyland. 

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I know right! The thing is, just as knowledge is not limited to the four corners of academia, technological innovation is not limited to tech companies. Who knows, maybe Disney will implement this to one of their rides in Disneyland. 

Yeah, I mean it's just.... Disney, they are some of the last people I would expect to be investing into wireless technology as they have no visible or instantly obvious requirements for it, and it seems so far away from their typical sector / work. 

Next I'm going to hear coca cola has invented some space ship solution like artificial gravity and the Switzerland  government has a doomsday laser on the moon with a special tank feature full of sharks with friggin lasers on their heads.  

But at the end of the day I'm not complaining, the more companies investing in this can only be a good thing! 

So everyone needs metal walls, and a stripper poll in their living room? Yeah, that'll fly.

Not to mention the sheer cost of that much copper.

I like the idea of wireless charging. I hate the idea of living in a charging field.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

you can walk into the room with a smartphone in your pocket and it will start charging

and cook your insides at the same time

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and cook your insides at the same time

Suit yourself dear

giphy (13).gif

29 minutes ago, KE2012 said:

But at the end of the day I'm not complaining, the more companies investing in this can only be a good thing! 

The future is exciting

giphy (12).gif

3 hours ago, stconquest said:

Wasn't the wireless transmission of electricity being worked on by Tesla back in the 1920s?

yes, but he was already thinking on a way larger scale

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

yes, but he was already thinking on a way larger scale

They apparently mentioned him as the inspiration in the video... which I did not watch.  I just read the OP.

2 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

So in other words you are indescribably lazy and couldn't survive without the assistance of your mother? Because literally all this test by Disney enables is for people to become even fucking lazier.

I'd like to see you just use a LAN / wired cable for your PC / smartphone / laptop instead of WiFi. If you won't, you're lazy.

I don't get why you people detest technological progress like this. Man invented the chainsaw so he can chop trees faster than with an axe.

Technological progress / invention is not about being lazy, it's about being efficient.

I don't see the problem of induction charging as it is currently proposed.

Now, wireless charging from a distance was already possible through infrared, but is dangerous for any kind of user, and unidirectionnal.

The problem here is the eletromagnetic compatibility. You can't expect that any of your electronic devices to work properly with a magnetic field like this (if they are not designed to sustain it); there will be conducted and radiated perturbation (you can easily face these problems nowadays if you play an electrical instrument for instance), as well as a potential risk of electrostatic discharge.

It's cool they actually made up the solution, but I don't think it is applicable IRL.

CPU: i7 4790K | MB: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 32Go Hyper X Fury 1866MHz | GPU's: GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Corsair AX 850 | Storage: Vertex 3, 2x Sandisk Ultra II,Velociraptor | Case : Corsair Air 540

Mice: Steelseries Rival | KB: Corsair K70 RGB | Headset: Steelseries H wireless

oh my god this is such a bad idea. 45cm around the pole is essentially a circle with a meter in diameter. now i don't know about you, but that room already is pretty small for a living room, now take a cubic meter off it. shutting it off when people walk trough it is senseless because than most devices need to be plugged in to the wall anyways, you can't have them shut off mid operation simply because john doe decided he wanted to get a beer. so lamps, tv's, radio's microwaves etc. are all already out of the question. the only thing that really remains is things with a battery backup such as laptops, phones and tablets. not to mention that they claim 1900 watts is safe but how many actual research is done into this? it isn't aluminium hat crazy to consider that 1900 watts being pumped out trough your body can be harming. if i put 2.4 ghz on 1900 watts y'all would be growing a third arm while your blood boils. not even to mention that the efficiency is HORRIBLE!

Like any other technology / invention / concept in it's infancy, it'll need to go over a lot of obstacles for it to be viable for normal, practical, everyday use. Nevertheless, progress is good; this is better than nothing.

To the people who are afraid of getting fried and thinking that this is useless: this is not an end product - this is proof that it can be done one way or another.

7 minutes ago, tlink said:

oh my god this is such a bad idea. 45cm around the pole is essentially a circle with a meter in diameter. now i don't know about you, but that room already is pretty small for a living room, now take a cubic meter off it. shutting it off when people walk trough it is senseless because than most devices need to be plugged in to the wall anyways, you can't have them shut off mid operation simply because john doe decided he wanted to get a beer. so lamps, tv's, radio's microwaves etc. are all already out of the question. the only thing that really remains is things with a battery backup such as laptops, phones and tablets. not to mention that they claim 1900 watts is safe but how many actual research is done into this? it isn't aluminium hat crazy to consider that 1900 watts being pumped out trough your body can be harming. if i put 2.4 ghz on 1900 watts y'all would be growing a third arm while your blood boils. not even to mention that the efficiency is HORRIBLE!

For god's sake people it's a proof of concept which means it's not yet available for consumers. It's within the confines of Disney's R&D labs.

It feels like late 90s to early 2000s again in this thread for some people. Back in the day, a lot of people are questioning the sanity of wireless carriers for investing on wireless broadband internet. Nowadays, the question is who has the best coverage and speed as well as competitive pricing. 

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

For god's sake people it's a proof of concept which means it's not yet available for consumers. It's within the confines of Disney's R&D labs.

It feels like late 90s to early 2000s again in this thread for some people. Back in the day, a lot of people are questioning the sanity of wireless carriers for investing on wireless broadband internet. Nowadays, the question is who has the best coverage and speed as well as competitive pricing. 

yea lets dismiss my question what they base it on that it isn't harmful. it isn't like we've had wireless carriers for years now and have done A LOT of research into it. like i said, what do they base it on that this is a safe amount of power to pump over the about 1,3 mhz band?

23 minutes ago, tlink said:

yea lets dismiss my question what they base it on that it isn't harmful. it isn't like we've had wireless carriers for years now and have done A LOT of research into it. like i said, what do they base it on that this is a safe amount of power to pump over the about 1,3 mhz band?

Here's what the researchers have to say to that according to their peer-reviewed journal:

Chabalko, M. J., Shahmohammadi, M., & Sample, A. P. (2017). Quasistatic Cavity Resonance for Ubiquitous Wireless Power Transfer. Plos One, 12(2). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0169045

Spoiler

SAFETY

If the vision of ubiquitous wireless power in everyday environments is to be realized, then it must be safe for the general public while delivering useful amounts of power. The IEEE and FCC have adopted two sets of safety guidelines. The first, based on direct measurement of the electric field, establishes an “action level” threshold of 614 V/m (RMS) for frequencies below 1.34 MHz, at which point further investigation and safety analysis is required. Given the good agreement between predicted and measured electric field values, Eq (7) can be used to calculate the input power level that meets this safety guideline. The second and more rigorous safety metric is Specific Absorption Rate (SAR), which is a measure of how much power is absorbed by biological tissue.

To this end, we performed a standard SAR analysis using COMSOL Multiphysics and a CAD model of an adult male body developed from full-body MRI scans [31]. The model consists of a 1.78 m (5’10”) male human body as shown in Fig 5a. Since the operating wavelength of the system is much longer than the dimensions of a human and since the field distribution is highly uniform and falls off monotonically the internal geometry of the body model can be simplified without loss of accuracy, allowing for the finite element simulation to become tractable. Once the human body model was properly meshed, the internal organs and tissues were annotated with their corresponding electromagnetic properties. The model was positioned facing the pole approximately 46 cm from the center of the room,
journal.pone.0169045.g005.PNG

In simulation, the current in the pole was increased until either the model’s whole body SAR value or localized SAR [10] value met the established threshold for uncontrolled exposure for the general public. This resulted in a maximum current in the pole of 140 amps and a plot of the pointwise SAR values in the human body model are shown in Fig 5b. While the peak pointwise SAR values are near the 1.6 W/kg limit. It should be noted that the 1.6 W/kg limit is defined as the average over a 1 g tissue sample and thus we are assured that the average value is indeed below the threshold. Additionally, at the same 140 amp input current, the whole body average SAR value is approximately 0.06 W/kg, while the limit is 0.08 W/kg. Thus, based on both whole body SAR values and pointwise SAR values, 140 amps is considered a conservative upper bounds on the maximum amount of current that can be safely induced in the pole.

The next step is to map the 140 Amps of current in the pole to the corresponding transmit and receive power levels. However, the magnitude of the current in the pole is dependent on loading effects. For instance under no load (e.g. 0% efficiency) it takes a smaller amount of input power to induce 140 Amps into the pole and thus meet the SAR safety limit. In contrast, under high loading conditions (e.g. 90% efficiency) more power can be injected into the QSCR room –since most of it will be delivered to the load– before the 140 Amp limit is met. Thus in order to quantify safety in terms of input power, simulations have been done at various transfer efficiency levels.

The results of the safety analyses based on electric field magnitude (i.e. the “action level”) and SAR level are shown in Fig 6. These results show that it is possible to safely transmit 1.9 kilowatts of power to a receiver at 90% efficiency, which is equivalent to charging 320 USB powered devices. However, there is a dependency between the maximum permissible power level and transfer efficiency, since unused power is stored in the high Q-factor QSCR room. While standard methods such as real-time power tracking can be used to monitor the link efficiency between the room and receiver to ensure safe operation, it should be noted that even at the low end of the efficiency scale it is possible to safely transmit 100 watts of power, providing a significant amount of utility. Finally, for distances close to the pole (i.e. < 46cm) standard RF safety strategies such as intrusion detection or adding a mechanical keep-out in the form of a decorative wall can be employed.

thumbnail

Fig 6. Safe input power thresholds.

Maximum permissible power levels (green region) as a function of transfer efficiency. Red line shows where SAR limit is exceeded when the human body model is 46 cm away from the central pole, and the black line is the action level or where the E-field magnitude exceeds 614 V/m at 46 cm away from the pole.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169045.g006

Try reading dear

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Suit yourself dear

sure, dear

before spewing bullcrap, 1st you should've done your research on what happens to living tissue and organs in high electric fields

2ndly, the efficiency of such transfer is bad - you're consuming more energy than you can transfer

3rdly, you're going to have this device powered on 24/7 to charge a phone?

and finally .. why?!

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

sure, dear

before spewing bullcrap, 1st you should've done your research on what happens to living tissue and organs in high electric fields

2ndly, the efficiency of such transfer is bad - you're consuming more energy than you can transfer

3rdly, you're going to have this device powered on 24/7 to charge a phone?

and finally .. why?!

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0169045#sec004