Nintendo may be working on a 4K ready (GTX1060) addon for the Switch

Master Disaster

This rumour was started by someone who is confirmed (by IP address) to work at Foxconn and has already posted 2 rumours in the past which both turned out to be 100% accurate but the usual caveat applies here, rumour mill stuff, take with salt etc etc.

The poster has previously predicted the battery life and that Nintendo would be launching multi coloured Joy Cons and now hes back claiming big N are working on a Supplemental Computing Device (SCD) for the switch.

The story behind this rumor is a long one, and it goes back to multiple leaks made over multiple months. I'm going to try to sum this all up as succinctly and plainly as I possibly can, but that's going to be a difficult task. No matter what I say to you in this article, just know that there's more to the story, and technically speaking I'm somewhat of a layman myself, so when predictions are based off of things like processor die size and potential clock speeds, I have to take the word of those who know more than I do. With that said, these rumors could have huge implications:

We're hearing that Nintendo could possibly be developing an iteration of the Nintendo Switch - something like a PS4 Pro, that would offer greater performance than what is currently planned for the Switch launching in March. That's one possibility. The more likely possibility, and one to have more immediate implications, is that Nintendo is wrapping up development on a supplemental computing device (SCD) which would plug into the Switch to give it a big boost in power. This would enable the Switch, while docked, to potentially render games in 4K or provide enhancements at 1080p.

He claims that the SCD will contain an upgrade to the Switch which boosts RAM to 8GB (double what the handheld currently has) and a GP106 GPU (so effectively a GTX1060)

Now these rumors all started when someone posted some interesting Switch specs on Reddit. The person who posted had his IP confirmed to originate from Foxconn, the Chinese company in charge of producing the Nintendo Switch and its various dev kits. The rumor predicted the Nintendo's Switch exact battery capacity before it was revealed, and also predicted the multi-colored JoyCon controllers that would eventually be revealed for the Switch. It also described those controllers in great detail. Whoever made the post definitely had insider information on the Switch, and we believe at this point that it really is someone out of Foxconn.

In addition to the controller leaks, the poster revealed various hardware specs that seem to describe a device more powerful than the Switch as we know it. It also described a dev kit with 8GB of RAM (double what is currently in the Switch), and a GPU that seems to be an exact match for Nvidia's GTX 1060. To say that this would be a dramatic increase in power from what is currently possible on the Switch is a dramatic understatement.

Interestingly Nintendo patented an SCD a while back

Resident NeoGAF tech-guru Thraktor swooped in to suggest that what we're seeing is the long-rumored SCD, which Nintendo patented a while back.

nntndoscd

So there are currently 3 theories as to what Nintendo might end up doing, 1) Sell a new handheld with upgraded components (A handheld with a 1060? No chance), 2) Sell an external box that connects to the switch (not likely but more likely than number 1) or 3) Sell an upgraded dock (IMO the most feasible option)

"Regarding the specifics of the leak, when I said the dev kit's chip was "pretty much exactly the size of GP106", I wasn't kidding. According to this (which is the best source I could find), the GP106 measures approximately 11.67mm x 17.13mm, which is extremely close both in size and shape to the leaker's claim that it "looks like" 12mm x 18mm. It's worth noting that the die size of GP106 would have been common knowledge when this was posted (so if the leaker is screwing with us they could have found this out), but if they're not screwing with us then it would seem too close to be a co-incidence.

"As I see it, if the leak is true, then the dev kit is one of the following:

• A dev kit for a Switch 2 portable/hybrid which has a GP106-class GPU (and presumably a 10-15 minute battery life)
  • An early 'SCD' dock dev kit which is using GP106 as a stand-in for a custom GPU being developed (which could be less or more powerful than GP106)
  • A near-final 'SCD' dock dev kit which is using a custom GPU which is very similar to GP106
  • An 'SCD' dock dev kit, where they're just using the GP106 itself in the final product"

Now obviously that first option is out of the question. A portable gaming device with what is basically a GTX 1060 is not feasible. The jest suggesting a 10-15 minute battery life in such a device was likely quite serious. That leaves us to assume that a supplemental device of some kind, most likely an alternate dock, is in the works.

Apart from that, we dare not venture to say more. We're already in the realm of extreme speculation, and we could be discussing something that we don't see or hear about for years to come, if at all. Be that as it may, it would be one way for Nintendo to make the Switch more appealing this holiday season as Microsoft unveils Project Scorpio and Sony offers a potential price reduction on the PS4 Pro.

Stay tuned, we'll keep our eye on this story and keep you updated as it develops.

http://wwg.com/2017/01/17/nintendo-switch-4k-power-up-dock-possibly-in-the-works/

They also didn't mention that a dock with supplemental hardware was rumoured for the switch a long time ago and if my memory serves me correctly by multiple sources too.

Will be interesting to see if this turns out to be true or not, might explain why so many third party devs are on board despite the severe lack of power and why so many games are scheduled for Holiday 2017. If they're wrapping up development now then it should be out by years end.

I just hope they do as Sony & MS have done and ensure all games work on the original Switch hardware, even if its at a lower FPS/Fidelity.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

inb4 it costs the same as the switch

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

3 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Ugh. The only thing worse than Ryzen speculation is Nintendo speculation

Nobody forces you to click on those threads and read them you know.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Um. Are they made because they got passed for Ghost Recon?

So, it essentially looks like you'll be able to hook your Gameboy to a Razer Core?

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Um. Are they made because they got passed for Ghost Recon?

So, it essentially looks like you'll be able to hook your Gameboy to a Razer Core?

No, chances are it will be a new dock containing additional hardware that you can buy if you want.

This is a neat idea but Nintendo is not known to go out of their way for something like this so it's probably a idea that still didn't get through the command chain.

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

This is a neat idea but Nintendo is not known to go out of their way for something like this so it's probably a idea that still didn't get through the command chain.

According to the rumour they're in final stage production right now.

IMO it was probably intended to be available from launch but Nintendo pushed the launch before it was ready due to the poor sales of Wii U.

Then i call bogus.

The guy making this rumor probably got too high on his previous calls because he got it right and now he's making up stuff to satisfy himself.

Not the first time people does this.

3 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Then i call bogus.

The guy making this rumor probably got too high on his previous calls because he got it right and now he's making up stuff to satisfy himself.

Not the first time people does this.

There are to many coincidences.

The dock was rumored to contain additional hardware months ago

The rumours stated the dock would contain a pascal based GPU

Its speculated Nintendo rushed Switch to market 

If the intention was always to sell Switch with the dumb dock and offer an upgraded dock separately then where's the harm in selling units before the dock is ready?

Maybe it's a culture thing so people in america might not get it, but if they try to pull that in japan, they will ruin their reputation.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Maybe it's a culture thing so people in america might not get it, but if they try to pull that in japan, they will ruin their reputation.

You mean like how they launched the 64DD in Japan only? Or the GameCube ISDN adapter?

How should i explain this, those two things you mentioned came out of necessity at the time, while the dock here is something they held back to push the switch out early.

The idea behind their launch is different and that's what's important. Most people in Asia hate being stringed along like that.

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

How should i explain this, those two things you mentioned came out of necessity at the time, while the dock here is something they held back to push the switch out early.

The idea behind their launch is different and that's what's important. Most people in Asia hate being stringed along like that.

Well I guess your correct about the cultural difference because I don't see the issue. I am aware that Asian culture is very different to western culture though.

this is hilarious, is nitendo trying to set the highest console price for the lowest performing console...

the price is already higher than a ps4 it actualy matches the PS4 pro price, then you want to add to it another device that is basicaly a console that will at the very least cost the same, doubling your price ? and it's not a compute device to boost the switch because the switch is ARM and the compute device x86, so i dont see how this would work, unless they do exactly like the nvidia shield and use streaming or emulates games.

i really hope nintendo get's it's biggest console failure yet with the switch, so they can stop this BS, and start making their games crossplatform, i liked zelda way back and wish i could play a new sequal of it, but it pisses me off that i need to buy a console just to play that one game, and it pisses me even more to know that the sequal could be a technical marvel, but because of nintendo i would still get 10 years old game.

and the funny thing about they make less money compared to a multi platform route

Just as external gpu's were becoming accepted in the pc market, Consoles are jumping right on!

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

If that is true, the switch will be on par with the Xbox Scorpio! 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

15 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

GTX1060

Pick one.

With Nintendo games it could do 8k

If true. It means that the USB Type-C connector is also Thunderbolt. This could explain why, when the console will be released, it will be USB 2.0, and later 3.0

And this could explain why the dock is expensive. It needs the secondary Thunderbolt chip on the other side.

This also means that the cost of the upgrade will be (assuming all true) - $100 (For thunderbolt, marketing and other materials) + Cost of GTX 1060 (or whatever other GPU) + Profit. So that will be an expensive add-on (possibly $200 US). The good news, is that unlike Microsoft Scorpio, or PS4 Pro, you don't need to buy an entirely new console.  But it still $200. And that is assuming Nvidia is giving away the chip... because looking at GTX 1060 today at Newegg.com, the cheapest GTX 1060 is $189.99 US

This also means that it goes again Nintendo sales pitch of the Switch. Which is the same experience (or very close to) on the go or docked at home. It basically means that we might see games that wont' run in 4K, maybe 1080pinstead, will be running well at 60fps on this new dock, but in portable mode, the graphics gets a serious hit, and 30fps.

20 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

GTX1060

Pick one.

A 1060 is perfectly capable of 4K at console settings and framerates!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

People expecting GTX 1060 performance from a handheld console of this size need a serious reality check. It's mind boggling...

In the docking station it makes more sense I guess but Nintendo doesn't seem like a company which would do this kind of thing... at all.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, alamox said:

the price is already higher than a ps4 it actualy matches the PS4 pro price, then you want to add to it another device that is basicaly a console that will at the very least cost the same, doubling your price ?

It's 100$ less than the Ps4 Pro get your facts right.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No tags allowed on the title allowed. Thank you

GoodBytes pls GoodBytes