The best tech purchases you ever made?

treeroy
20 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Try MX master. Especially on a mac. You will be amazed. Again. 

I have tried a MX master and I prefer the extra buttons (for work) and improved sensor (for gaming) of my G502.

My speaker system. Bought it for 1/4th the price of it today and it is still working after 5 years

Breaking things 1 day at a time

4 minutes ago, Squirrel724 said:

I have tried a MX master and I prefer the extra buttons (for work) and improved sensor (for gaming) of my G502.

Oh. I felt that the G502 is too "hard" for me to press. Don't you feel that way??? The mouse button, those left click and right click is quite hard?? Compared to MX master and sensei? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Easily my logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum. Bought it when it came out, never looked at mice the same way. 

Perk of working in the tech field, I make large purchases of tech almost every day. My biggest single purchase was probably 7 EVGA B-stock Titan X's on black friday.

Red dragon Rx480. Crashes too often than normal so I would say it's the best

9 minutes ago, NannerBeans said:

Perk of working in the tech field, I make large purchases of tech almost every day. My biggest single purchase was probably 7 EVGA B-stock Titan X's on black friday.

hi

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My Jaybird X2s. Not a day goes by I don't use them, or love having bought them. If I forget to charge them for like a week and they die, I feel so sad lol

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

The 2500k. I have a 6700k now and the only reason I upgraded was my GF's PC died and we shared my rig till I built a new one and she inherited other build.  Damn chip still holding its own in 2017!

6 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I think for every day usage 8GB is enough. I am not sure what's your daily workflow is like. If you need to open a lot of apps in the background and switching between them, (Like photoshop in the background, 20 chrome tabs open, IDE running, evernotes for taking notes, and pdf files opening) then you need 16GB  lol. 

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

r9 380

bought for $200

sold for $170

as @chickennuggetstyle said, its like renting a gpu for a year for $30

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Either my jabra revo's (wireless) because they have lasted some serious abuse and I use them all the time, or my 64gb Kingston g3 usb drive, I would feel naked now if I didn't carry it around with me. 

On 26/01/2017 at 9:45 PM, TheRandomness said:

My Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark I board, which will soon be transferred over to my sister's rig when I downsize my current one. 

My 290, which is out of commission for the moment because the BIOS(s) that it's running are slightly broken. 

asus sabertooth and WS boards do not die. they just get passed down like heirlooms.

I pre-ordered two Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lites a few months before they were available and they were one of the best purchases I'd ever made for my company, now I only buy Ubiquiti for my home and business and it's saved me a fortune in hardware costs and power bills.

-KuJoe

Some of my best buys were my G602 and my G510s which I cant live without now. While they aren't perfect they are far and above anything else I can buy right now and have become almost necessary for me to enjoy using my PC. Another would be my APC UPS, the power at my house is trash at the best of times. This led to tons of dead hardware and frustration and when I had some cash to upgrade my system with I decided to take a hit on the performance and instead of buying the i7 that I wanted I split the money between an i5-4430 and an APC 1300va UPS. It was hands down one of the best things I've bought in a long time and I regret not getting one sooner as it would have saved me from loads of stress and troubleshooting. Honestly nothing else I've bought can compare when it comes to the best thing I've bought.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

33 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I pre-ordered two Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lites a few months before they were available and they were one of the best purchases I'd ever made for my company, now I only buy Ubiquiti for my home and business and it's saved me a fortune in hardware costs and power bills.

And power bills?  Interesting.  How?  Just direct consumption or something indirect?  I never would have thought networking gear used that much energy :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And power bills?  Interesting.  How?  Just direct consumption or something indirect?  I never would have thought networking gear used that much energy :P 

The routers I was using before (Vyatta) used 2 amps which costs me $35/month, the EdgeRouter Pro uses a small fraction of that so I'm really only paying for the space in the cabinets. Networking gear can be very power hungry once you get up there in processing power, we tried some $500 100Mbps Cisco routers off eBay before we tried Ubiquiti and they were using a little over 1 amp but couldn't even handle BGP with SSH enabled at the same time.

-KuJoe

On 26/01/2017 at 8:46 PM, XCalinX said:

People will hate me for this but  a FX 8350. It was my first PC component that doesn't suck. I still have it in my secondary rig today

Similar with 6300, now works as home server. 

Magical Pineapples

43 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

The routers I was using before (Vyatta) used 2 amps which costs me $35/month, the EdgeRouter Pro uses a small fraction of that so I'm really only paying for the space in the cabinets. Networking gear can be very power hungry once you get up there in processing power, we tried some $500 100Mbps Cisco routers off eBay before we tried Ubiquiti and they were using a little over 1 amp but couldn't even handle BGP with SSH enabled at the same time.

hm, I suppose.  I knew it would be in the 1 - 2 amp range and just brushed this off as nothing, but I guess when you think about it, at 120 v, that's 100 - 200 W, which isn't insignificant, especially if it's on 24/7.  Still, to cost $35/month, that must have been a lot of routers :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

hm, I suppose.  I knew it would be in the 1 - 2 amp range and just brushed this off as nothing, but I guess when you think about it, at 120 v, that's 100 - 200 W, which isn't insignificant, especially if it's on 24/7.  Still, to cost $35/month, that must have been a lot of routers :D 

Nope, each router was $35/month (and roughly $16.67/month just for the 1U space if you split up the cost of the cabinet by 42). We have A+B network so it was $70/month for 2 routers (excluding cost of space and power/space for both switches).

-KuJoe

3 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Nope, each router was $35/month (and roughly $16.67/month just for the 1U space if you split up the cost of the cabinet by 42). We have A+B network so it was $70/month for 2 routers (excluding cost of space and power/space for both switches).

Wait... 2 amps at 120 V is 240 W, running 24/7 for a month is ~180 kWh, which cost $35... that's ~19.4 cents / kWh! O.o  Well best of luck saving energy where you can :D 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Wait... 2 amps at 120 V is 240 W, running 24/7 for a month is ~180 kWh, which cost $35... that's ~19.4 cents / kWh! O.o  Well best of luck saving energy where you can :D 

In data centers you pay by the amp, not kWh like people do in their homes.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

In data centers you pay by the amp, not kWh like people do in their homes.

Wait, amp what?  It must be Ah or something since amps is a rate and not a quantity.

Well, regardless that's the equivalent price, unless it was running at some other voltage, and that's pretty high by home power cost standards :/ 

Hmm, not strictly computer related but it is technology :3 

Bought a Casio PX160bk digital piano for $400, $100 off the retail. It has let me practice through the early morning without waking everyone up, or driving them insane by making them hear me play the same piece over and over again for hours on end. Seriously great buy, couldn't be happier.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||