Overclockers UK releases "extreme edition" i7 7700K

So, today OCUK released their "extreme edition" i7 7700K where for a premium of £110~, you can buy a 7700K that's guaranteed to hit 5GHz and is delidded.

The 5GHz bit is nothing special to be brutally honest as they've been doing this "binned" chips thing for quite some time now. 

The interesting bit is how the i7 7700K is pre-delidded by them and more importantly it includes a 1 year warranty where before if you wanted a delidded CPU, if anything goes wrong, you're on your own.

Is the £110 premium worth it? Your call but I'm actually inclined to say yes...I mean you're getting a i7 7700K with a decent silicon where it's also delidded and includes a warranty thus removing almost all the risks with delidding a CPU so...ermmmm yes I guess.

Thoughts?

Source: Website 

P.S. I have realised how this sounds a lot like an advertisement xD (but it's not...)

edit: May I just say how in the PC world, $1=£1 so...you know :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Damn that's really expensive.

Silicon lottery has one for 380 dollars.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/frontpage/products/7700k50g

For 430 dollars you have a 5.1Ghz binned one :D 

https://siliconlottery.com/products/7700k51g

edit: it's not delidded but tbh that's more of a disadvantage because there is no IHS so it's possible the cpu cooler doesn't make proper contact.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Damn that's really expensive.

Silicon lottery has one for 380 dollars.

https://siliconlottery.com/collections/frontpage/products/7700k50g

For 430 dollars you have a 5.1Ghz binned one :D 

https://siliconlottery.com/products/7700k51g

But that doesn't include it being delidded or have a warranty(?)...

Almost all 7000k CPUs can reach 5GHz with a good air cooler or AIO, so no, definitely not worth it.

For the 6000k series it was, since those were really hard to reach high frequencies on.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The CPU has then under-gone severe stress testing to ensure its stability at 5.0GHz (guaranteed) in all none AVX games and applications

Weak

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Well on the one hand, safe delidding is done with a delidding tool and those cost money, so you're already paying a bit of a premium for a delidded chip (you can keep the delidding tool for the future though). But 110 is a bit much, maybe if they did it for 50 more.

As for the warranty bit, it's nice, probably amounts for most of the premium. But once the CPU is correctly delidded it's unlikely to die because of that.

Also I've been recommending that people replace the liquid metal TIM in a delidded chip frequently - every 6 months maybe so that's a reason to want a delidding tool anyway, unless OCUK will do the TIM replacement service as a part of warranty.

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

edit: it's not delidded but tbh that's more of a disadvantage because there is no IHS so it's possible the cpu cooler doesn't make proper contact.

Most of the time delidding doesn't mean take the IHS off and be done with it, it means take the IHS off, replace the TIM with one that lasts decidedly shorter time but is much higher performance, then glue the IHS back on.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But that doesn't include it being delidded or have a warranty(?)...

Nope, no delidding but as the edit of my original post says, getting a cooler properly mounted on a cpu without an IHS can be very difficult.

And they have a 30 day warranty, but tbh cpu's rarely die so the chance it's alive after 30 days but dies within a year is small to say the least :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, porina said:

Weak

LOL they don't guarantee it for AVX, that's cheating

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Most of the time delidding doesn't mean take the IHS off and be done with it, it means take the IHS off, replace the TIM with one that lasts decidedly shorter time but is much higher performance, then glue the IHS back on.

Oh yea, derp :D i always thought delidding = taking the IHS off.

But then again silicon lottery offers that as well for 50 bucks so that makes the OCUK option more competitive price wise.

It's still more expensive, but you do get a longer warranty.

I still wouldn't pay that much of a premium for that tho...

No games use AVX neither do 90% of professional applications

Sure OCUK, but AVX is a good thing, not a bad thing. It's got amazing integer performance. The fact that CPUs can't hit higher overclocks when loaded with AVX is a consequence of AVX using more CPU resources per cycle compared to the x86 instruction set, even at 100% utilization.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, porina said:

Weak

Tru

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Almost all 7000k CPUs can reach 5GHz with a good air cooler or AIO, so no, definitely not worth it.

For the 6000k series it was, since those were really hard to reach high frequencies on.

Well siliconlottery claims only 56% of 7700K can hit 5GHz so...

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Nope, no delidding but as the edit of my original post says, getting a cooler properly mounted on a cpu without an IHS can be very difficult.

And they have a 30 day warranty, but tbh cpu's rarely die so the chance it's alive after 30 days but dies within a year is small to say the least :P

But what if something happens like what happened to @STRMfrmXMN? :P (aka the motherboard frying the CPU...), just a example you know...

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

LOL they don't guarantee it for AVX, that's cheating

Well, the first thought that springs in my mind when someone claims any overclock, is how stable is that overclock? I guess their argument is that most uses don't need it, but still, this is something to consider. It's a bit like those doing non-Z Skylake overclocking, where AVX gets disabled as a side effect. That might actually be preferable, than run the risk you do use something with AVX and it crashes your system.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But what if something happens like what happened to @STRMfrmXMN? :P (aka the motherboard frying the CPU...), just a example you know...

Tbh if you motherboard f*cks up and it kills the cpu, that's just bad luck for the cpu then.

I mean if the frying was unavoidable it wouldn't matter much what cpu you would put in it. 

I would say that's just bad luck and tbh what's the risk of having the same thing happen to you :P

And if the motherboard kills the CPU there's always the chance that you don't get a new one because the damage to the CPU isn't the fault of the CPU itself.

It's like asking your PSU vendor to send you a new one because your AIO leaked and ruined it, don't think you would get a new psu...

It's still more expensive, but you do get a longer warranty.

Well it's technically only $20 more expensive...brexit=best fucking exchange rates I've seen :P 

-snip-

Well you don't ask the PSU vendor to send you a new one, you'd ask the AIO manufacturer assuming they're either Corsair or NZXT :D 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well siliconlottery claims only 56% of 7700K can hit 5GHz so...

They are hiding more information, such as at what voltage or temperature.

I can guarantee you that 99% of 7700ks will pass 5GHz with enough voltage and temps.

Their claim is probably "only 56% of 7700K can hit 5GHz with less than 1.3v" or something like that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Well it's technically only $20 more expensive...brexit=best fucking exchange rates I've seen :P 

Well you don't ask the PSU vendor to send you a new one, you'd ask the AIO manufacturer assuming they're either Corsair or NZXT :D 

I don't know where you get that 20 dollars but 450 pounds is 550-ish US dollars O_o

Now i figured that out, my god it's expensive wtf xD

And yea you don't actually ask your PSU vendor but actually what's the chance of ASUS or whatever giving you money because it blew op your cpu?

I actually don't know tbh, if you know, let us know :P

Silicon Lottery has offered this for a while. You can get a 7700k guaranteed to hit 5.0 GHz (real bench stable on an AIO for at least an hour) at less than 1.376 VCORE for ~250 USD. Delidding adds 50 bucks to the price (and they put the IHS back on so you can treat it exactly like any other CPU). And they warranty it all for 30 days.

Seems like a generally better deal.

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I can guarantee you that 99% of 7700ks will pass 5GHz with enough voltage and temps.

Their claim is probably "only 56% of 7700K can hit 5GHz with less than 1.3v" or something like that.

Reading is difficult isn't it? :D

1.376 Vcore and it passed a 1 hour ROG realbench stress test.

The rest of the specs of the test system is also posted.

Reading is difficult isn't it? :D

1.376 Vcore and it passed a 1 hour ROG realbench stress test.

The rest of the specs of the test system is also posted.

Clearly it is for you, because it doesn't say anywhere at what voltage or temperature they got "56%" from.

It also says nothing about sample size.

This might be hard for you to understand, but you can increase voltage to reach higher frequencies as long as you maintain reasonable temps.

So 56% literally means nothing unless you know all the other information about their tests.

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I don't know where you get that 20 dollars but 450 pounds is 550-ish US dollars O_o

Now i figured that out, my god it's expensive wtf xD

UK prices include 20% sales tax. Without, it would be equivalent to about US$463.

Just now, samcool55 said:

Nope, $1=£1 as the current exchange rate is $1.23=£1 but we have 20% VAT on absolutely everything plus there's also stuff like Duty to pay when importing so you know...it's more or less $1=£1 :P 

The price premium is literally only $110 which isn't that bad you know...

I mean we're paying fucking £340 for a 7700K stock so we're paying more than you guys no matter what...

On a side note, you've literally done the most rookie mistake on a tech forum possible known as you cannot compare prices from different countries...our prices are probably now worse than Canada's...

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Tru tru :P 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Nope, $1=£1 as the current exchange rate is $1.23=£1 but we have 20% VAT on absolutely everything plus there's also stuff like Duty to pay when importing so you know...it's more or less $1=£1 :P 

The price premium is literally only $110 which isn't that bad you know...

I mean we're paying fucking £340 for a 7700K stock so we're paying more than you guys no matter what...

On a side note, you've literally done the most rookie mistake on a tech forum possible known as you cannot compare prices from different countries...our prices are probably now worse than Canada's...

Well it depends where you live in the end...

You can compare them but you have to keep the mess in mind that the gov causes :P

And if you live in the UK it wouldn't make much sense to get them from america because prices are similar and you can get one locally.

If you live in america however the UK option looks like a stupidly bad deal which is the point i was trying to make. Even if you live in the USA the UK VAT gets slapped in your face anyway because you can't just make the VAT disappear.

Also i don't know what you mean with "you guys" i live in belgium, you know that country with a city called "brussels" and a majority seems to hate :D

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Clearly it is for you, because it doesn't say anywhere at what voltage or temperature they got "56%" from.

It also says nothing about sample size.

This might be hard for you to understand, but you can increase voltage to reach higher frequencies as long as you maintain reasonable temps.

So 56% literally means nothing unless you know all the other information about their tests.

Yeah because 1.5V seems like a safe voltage to run 24/7 O_o.

Extra voltage shortens the lifespan of any component and tbh i wouldn't be comfortable running a 7700k at 1.5V every day even if temps are fine.

The voltage is mentioned so you know that 56% of their sample size reached their standards, which is at 1.376V, even if you do know the sample size a margin of error is always there. Unless they somehow have 1.2k cpu's tested which is the lowest limit before it's safe to say that the margin of error is so small it's irrelevant.

But 99% seems a bit stupid as well tbh... I mean if every cpu would reach those speeds at the mentioned voltage they wouldn't sell any of them would they?