To many or to little watts?

This may be a bad question and if so can just be deleted but from a guy that has never overclocked before and am doing my first liquid cooling loop from scratch And plan to get the parts for a computer including a 7700k and two gtx 1080s on a micro atx motherboard and plan to overclock, is a 850 Watt power supply appropriate? Is it to much, not enough, or just about right? I dont know how much more power overclocked things need so... and don't want to get a power supply that has more watts than I need especially as computer parts have been getting more and more power efficient

I'd say a 750 not an 850. 850 is total overkill, but if it isn't that much more cost-wise it should be fine. 

idk

750w is the sweet spot for that

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

11 minutes ago, ETHREAL1 said:

This may be a bad question and if so can just be deleted but from a guy that has never overclocked before and am doing my first liquid cooling loop from scratch And plan to get the parts for a computer including a 7700k and two gtx 1080s on a micro atx motherboard and plan to overclock, is a 850 Watt power supply appropriate? Is it to much, not enough, or just about right? I dont know how much more power overclocked things need so... and don't want to get a power supply that has more watts than I need especially as computer parts have been getting more and more power efficient

If they are about the same then you can go for the 850 if you prefer but as others have said a 750 should be plenty. Nothing wrong with a little extra headroom though and it won't draw any extra power if it's not needed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, ETHREAL1 said:

For two 1080s and a consumer-level i7 750W is the recommended amount. You can get an 850W and there's nothing stopping you. Check the PSU tier list in my signature and get something at least tier 2.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Few. Too few. Not 'too little'.

And 850 is more than enough. You could do that with 650 watts and still have headroom. I'd be more concerned about the power supply's quality. Aim for Tier 3 or higher-