Server-Showoff

I don't have pictures (or video), so my reply will be pretty boring. Oh well, it's in a Nexus Clodius White case, so you can imagine that?

Asus M4N75TD

AMD Phenom II X4 955BE @ 4GHz

4x2GB Kingston HyperX 1333MHz CL7

Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue

It's mostly for shell, misc game servers and if I wouldn't like to live dangerously, backup. I call it Argeon, it's the fourth iteration of my home server.

It all started back in around 2006 or so, with an old Sempron I purchased from my neighbor. I named the server Muhku. It had an odd beige case that had sort of reversed side panels, you had to take off the front panel before you could slide out the sides. Neat detail in retrospect, I had the case up until a month ago. Most of the rest of the parts I still have laying around. CPU fan was and still is fastened with a couple of random screws brutally lodged into the heat sink.

For the second iteration, named Miksei, I purchased some brand new parts, Opteron 1210, ASRock GF6150SE, NEXUS NX-3500 and a new generic case with better airflow. I ended up throwing a 8600GT in it and giving it to someone in need, so nothing remains.

Third upgrade was mostly old parts from my main rig. Abit IP-35 PRO, 4GB of RAM, probably an Intel E6400 (later E7300) and the cheapest half decent PSU (that's now in the current server). It retained the name it had as the main rig, Ilmarinen. This was the first time I ran Windows on it for relatively long periods, IIRC Terraria was the culprit for that.

At this point (Ilmarinen era) I lived in an apartment with a walk in closet with central air exhaust, which was really nice for a server. I added a fire alarm and routed a network cable to finish my personal little data center. Inaudible, out of sight, ventilated. Free. Perfect.

Argeon was born as I once again upgraded my main rig, although this time it got a brand new name. Argeon ended two years of horror (Windows). I sold what remained of Ilmarinen (including a 9800GTX+) for twenty euros, I hope it got a good home. That motherboard had two ethernet ports, which combined with the rarity and high price of decent S775 motherboards nowadays, makes me regret getting rid of it a little.

For the past six and a half years I have had a 100/100 internet, which definitely makes having a home server pleasant enough.

Not going to go into too much detail on the big one because I've listed it's specs in the stickied post but for the other two I'll give some more info:

zXHucJT.jpg

Top Server:

Name: Oceanus

Purpose: Surevillance

Storage: 3x3TB WD Purple drives

Specs: Intel Core i3 on an x97 board with 16GB of RAM (I got the board for dirt cheap and don't need much power)

Additional:

Middle Server:

Name: Orion

Purpose: Storage and Streaming

Specs: See LTT Storage Rankings, Page 61

Additional:

Bottom Server:

Name: Dell R610

Purpose: VMs and ESXI server

Specs: Dual Xeon processors with 96GB of RAM

Additional: This is where most of my stuff lives. I have an ISE server, ASAv, Windows Server 2K12 (vCenter), Windows Server 2K8 (AD, DNS, DHCP, etc), and a couple misc VMs for nostalgia games

Other:

Below that is a Cisco 3850-48P-E switch with 4x10Gb ports. One to my desktop, one to the big server, and another to the VM server.

I have a few Raspberry Pi's for NTP and other random stuff. Two are rack mounted and can't be seen, the other two are on the wall.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

D9wQOvZ.png

AMD Duron CPU - 1.4Ghz

1 Core

512MB RAM

60GB IDE hard drive

250 watt unbranded power supply.

DVD Rom Drive

It runs beautifully. I don't need anything more. My website runs great. I am upgrading it soon with an overpowered Pentium 4 PC. I know that I don't need a Pentium 4 for it. I am mainly upgrading because it doesn't have SATA, and it isn't economical to buy manufacturer refurbished IDE drives as backups.

I'm using a Dell OptiPlex 780 SFF that I got brand new in the box in the summer of 2015. It works well, and has an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB of DDR3, and a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200RPM. It's running Windows Server 2012 R2. I like it as a server because it is small, quiet, and power efficient. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just built a new 10 gigabit nas out of some skylake parts.

The specs:

1755141f7a20004d61677152a21dcb60.png

The storage: (RAID0 240GB SSD, RAID5 1TB WD Red)

89b2754da0be7a8ee0cb60bdcd806946.png

SSD Array Read Speeds (SMB over SFP+):

c141e13c26147af4ae8c91963c6dbff7.png

SSD Write Speeds:

a3d0d80c00b04d85f38a484c4a86c1db.png

HDD Read Speeds:

651ac43aec6af01c6af2ec8461ec51e7.png

HDD Write Speeds:

94f00bf668f16c7bf04a63a56d641c30.png

I paid somewhere along the lines of $280 for a G4400, 2x4GB sticks of ddr4, an H170M-PLUS, and a 1TB WD Red. I already had the PSU, Case, 2x1TB WD Reds, SFP+ Cards, and 2x240GB Crucial SSDs.

For a low power(energy is expensive here) budget NAS, I dont care if I dont get 10Gb/s transfers. Anything over 2 gigabit and I'm happy to pay $300.

My native language is C++

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

Below that is a Cisco 3850-48P-E switch with 4x10Gb ports. One to my desktop, one to the big server, and another to the VM server.

Holy crap what nice. How did you get that? Here in europe it will cost an arm and a leg to get one. 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

37 minutes ago, legopc said:

Holy crap what nice. How did you get that? Here in europe it will cost an arm and a leg to get one. 

I work for them and we somehow ended up with a couple extra after ordering a few for a lab build-out and I was allowed to bring one of the extras home :D We also ordered 4 packs of 10 of the 3802 APs recently by mistake instead of just 4 single APs so I have two of them powering the wireless in my house.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

I work for them and we somehow ended up with a couple extra after ordering a few for a lab build-out and I was allowed to bring one of the extras home :D We also ordered 4 packs of 10 of the 3802 APs recently by mistake instead of just 4 single APs so I have two of them powering the wireless in my house.

Are you kidding... jerk :P

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

1 minute ago, legopc said:

Are you kidding... jerk :P

Nope :P

I mean I don't technically get to keep it or anything if I leave and I definitely can't sell it but it's fun to mess with and have.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 hours ago, Lurick said:

Wanna share?

I just posted my server to the LTT Storage Rankings

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

I just brought this 128 cores 3GHz, 256GB of RAM. Not bad for playing around with... Any idea's of things to do with it? 

IMG_20170105_143512.jpg

On 1/3/2017 at 9:02 AM, Emmien said:

D9wQOvZ.png

AMD Duron CPU - 1.4Ghz

1 Core

512MB RAM

60GB IDE hard drive

250 watt unbranded power supply.

DVD Rom Drive

It runs beautifully. I don't need anything more. My website runs great. I am upgrading it soon with an overpowered Pentium 4 PC. I know that I don't need a Pentium 4 for it. I am mainly upgrading because it doesn't have SATA, and it isn't economical to buy manufacturer refurbished IDE drives as backups.

I think of old computers like old shelter dogs, not many want to adopt one or keep one, but they can still get the job done!

11 hours ago, Crazy-Logic said:

I just brought this 128 cores 3GHz, 256GB of RAM. Not bad for playing around with... Any idea's of things to do with it? 

IMG_20170105_143512.jpg

I bet this beast could wreck Folding@Home

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

It can wreck folding@home and a power bill at the same time :D

Forreal. I wonder what kind of power it would draw at full load

Main Rig: i7-4790 | GTX 1080 | 32GB RAM

Laptop: 2016 Macbook Pro 15" w/ i7-6820HQ, RX 455, 16GB RAM

Others: Apple iPhone XS, ATH-M50X, Airpods, SE215

On 01/06/2017 at 2:44 PM, aubryscully said:

Please get a server rack soon as possible. It pains me to see that beauty on the floor

On 6.1.2017 at 3:44 PM, aubryscully said:

The HP version takes up to 7,5 KW under load

39 minutes ago, harry4742 said:

The HP version takes up to 7,5 KW under load

Sounds about right. Should make a good whole home heater :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 1/4/2017 at 5:02 AM, Emmien said:

D9wQOvZ.png

I just had a flash back to 2000! I had that case for my desktop at the time (Pentium II) - I believe it was made by Hyena. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

On 07/01/2017 at 0:43 AM, Lurick said:

It can wreck folding@home and a power bill at the same time :D

Yeah I've got a similar problem - got a fully populated IBM blade chassis with I think 14 blades sitting on a pallet that I can't spin up due to the 3 x 15Amp power feeds that it wants. Needs about 7.3KW at full load.

3 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

Yeah I've got a similar problem - got a fully populated IBM blade chassis with I think 14 blades sitting on a pallet that I can't spin up due to the 3 x 15Amp power feeds that it wants. Needs about 7.3KW at full load.

Yah, those chassis and blades can draw a lot of power. At work I've got two UCS B-Series chassis loaded with double wide blades and they can definitely eat through power. I tried to use some of the extra power for F@H but for some reason could never get it to work right on a VM (Linux or Windows), it always downloaded a couple work units, chewed through them, and then stopped saying it couldn't communicate with the servers or something even though there aren't any firewall rules blocking it getting in/out of the DMZ environment setup for it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: