Microboard Korean Curved Ultrawide 100Hz Gaming Monitor

LinusTech
10 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I guess. just triying to make excuses :) Maybe they didn't have an AMD card in the warehouse? IDK, Linus back me up!

pretty sure they have a fury X or at least a couple of 480s.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

20 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I guess.

You can guess, your guess isn't an answer. But I'm sure Linus isn't that ignorant about AMD GPUs. Even the lowest FreeSync capable GPU (R7 260) is able drive upto a 4K 60Hz display through Displayport.

24 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

I guess. just triying to make excuses :) Maybe they didn't have an AMD card in the warehouse? IDK, Linus back me up!

Save it. You aren't helping anyone.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Complaining about tearing in a AMD FreeSync monitor while using an NVidia GPU... And then lamenting that the monitor doesn't have GSync, like it's not even inconceivable that someone has an AMD card...

/facepalm

These are the kind of things that reveal an NVidia bias IMO.

How come for neither this review or the 1600p Ultra wide from LG, you didn't throw like an RX 480 on the test bench to see if the free-sync was working well? Seems rather important for a monitor if it includes free-sync

I kind of get a Fury X cuz radiator, but it shouldn't be too difficult to test nor very time consuming

Should do a follow up or something sometime man, or at least remember to test free-sync on the displays you get that have it.

Also side note, you ever going to redo your free-sync Vs G-sync test with a free-sync monitor that can do more than 90Hz? because Acer has had one out for a while that does it up to 144hz, at least for the 1440p displays

Also why the focus on G-sync? It can massively drive up the price of a display, and Nvidia could just start caring about freedom and support it, people supporting G-sync isn't helping anyone * I only mention this due to lamenting, I guessm that this display and that LG 1600p one didn't have G-sync

Cheapest 4k TN free-sync display is $299 right now
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rk98TW/aoc-monitor-u2879vf

Cheapest 4k TN G-sync display is $779, dunno what's up with that
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/R8Trxr/acer-monitor-umpb0aa001

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 hours ago, CookieGalaxy said:

Linus! Would you be able to tryout the "X-star DP2414LED". Forums say you can overclock it to a whooping, 200hz... :P

AOC has a 240hz free-sync display coming
https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/aoc_announced_their_new_ag251fz_240hz_freesync_compatible_monitor/1

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 hours ago, Habitant1 said:

like it's not even inconceivable that someone has an AMD card...

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means

13 hours ago, Crimson Dog said:

Why in the world would you:
a) gloss over the fact that it has FreeSync

b) not use FreeSync at all, using a 1080 instead
c) hope it has G-Sync (hint: if it had it, it'd be much more costly)

d) complain about tearing when it has an adaptive refresh-rate technology inbuilt which you are not bloody using

Yes, my first reaction to that video as well. Connecting it to nVidia - well, whatever, to see if it works at least - but I expected it to be connected to AMD GPU in first place and provide crucial Freesync information. Like, you know ... lowest and highest supported frequencies, what does it do for low framerate compensation, if it additionally supports Freesync over HDMI or DVI, the very basics. Not skipping over it completely and even complaining about tearing.

I am currently shopping for good FreeSync monitor, could have used this as referral, but, oh well, this review is not very useable.

linus is reviewing some drugs or what . too much energy / happyness

This review is really subpar:

1. Freesync monitor tested on an NVidia card.
  2. Complaining about tearing, even though it has Freesync.
  3. Not testing or disclosing the Freesync interval, which is very interesting for the consumer.
  4. This monitor is supposedly based on the new Quantum Dot Samsung panel. This was not tested or disclosed.
  5. Monitor was tested with "pro" calibration tools, but not calibrated?
  6. If this was truly a QD panel, why not test the wider colour gamut?

This is a half assed review, that just needed to be done, it seems. Let someone else review it, if you cannot be bothered then.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

17 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not surprised the colours are totally out of wack.  I could tell just by looking at it before you even ran the tests that something was off...

Plus it just makes sense - gotta compromise somewhere for those kinds of savings! :D 

the panels they are using are probably b grade ones Samsung didnt wanna use in there own stuff and just sells on the cheap 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

45 minutes ago, Notional said:

This review is really subpar:

1. Freesync monitor tested on an NVidia card.
  2. Complaining about tearing, even though it has Freesync.
  3. Not testing or disclosing the Freesync interval, which is very interesting for the consumer.
  4. This monitor is supposedly based on the new Quantum Dot Samsung panel. This was not tested or disclosed.
  5. Monitor was tested with "pro" calibration tools, but not calibrated?
  6. If this was truly a QD panel, why not test the wider colour gamut?

This is a half assed review, that just needed to be done, it seems. Let someone else review it, if you cannot be bothered then.

also no latency tests

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Can somebody explain how 10-bit test could possible succeed on a non-Quadro card? AFAIK only FireGL and Quadro are capable of producing 10bit/channel signal. Am I missing something?

19 hours ago, Dicehunter said:

Linus did you enable 10bpc in the Nvidia control panel ? As I think that's maybe why you thought this monitor was only 8bit.

Friend of mine bought this last week and it gives him the option between 8bpc and 10bpc.

Oh and also you didn't mention that it's quantum dot.

what's quantum dot?

Shipping sucks

REALLY enjoyed this video! It had the "old" LTT vibe goin on!

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

2 hours ago, rossmohax said:

Can somebody explain how 10-bit test could possible succeed on a non-Quadro card? AFAIK only FireGL and Quadro are capable of producing 10bit/channel signal. Am I missing something?

Higher end GTX cards support 10bit color depth now (10 bit color has been supported in fullscreen DirectX), and the Radeon lines have supported 10bit color for a few years.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

20 hours ago, Crimson Dog said:

Why in the world would you:
a) gloss over the fact that it has FreeSync

b) not use FreeSync at all, using a 1080 instead
c) hope it has G-Sync (hint: if it had it, it'd be much more costly)

d) complain about tearing when it has an adaptive refresh-rate technology inbuilt which you are not bloody using

??

This is the kind of thing that makes people call you an nVidia shill for, mate.

Way late to this, but on youtube, his reply was:

Capture4.PNG

That being said, I think the out of box color kind of kills it for me at least...I mean your average person does not have a color calibrator (Even a cheap one like the X-rite ColorMunki).

12 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Capture4.PNG

That being said, I think the out of box color kind of kills it for me at least...I mean your average person does not have a color calibrator (Even a cheap one like the X-rite ColorMunki).

Oh fuck off Linus. This is starting to make me reconsider wanting to buy a subscription to the new site (waiting on a decent Vessel replacement). This is just completely false.

People who want high refresh rates generally want it for FPS' like CS:GO, Overwatch etc. Are you really trying to claim that two Fury X's couldn't run either of these games at that resolution? Not to mention that they're currently releasing more GPUs... In as few as a couple days they have a major event. It is a $700 monitor and not all of AMD's cards are $200. I have a 390X, does this apparently not exist?

You even complain about the tearing in the video. How is it not relevant to mention that there will not be tearing on AMD cards?

I'm beginning to take these complaints about Linus being biased seriously. The latest WAN show had the absolutely massive update to the drivers ignored until literally after the outro

I'd like to see what tftcentral could do with this monitor.  The (i'm assuming) complete lack of support would be scary though, have fun getting RMA from Microboard xD

and @LinusTech, treating the monitor like crap and being reckless with it does nothing for your review.  You're better than that, I think. 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

@LinusTech, treating the monitor like crap and being reckless with it does nothing for your review.  You're better than that, I think. 

I'm thinking Linus really isn't.

He's giving an excuse that has some truth in some scenarios (The RX480 cannot push 60+ FPS max settings at that resolution on say, BF1), and applying them to all scenarios. eSport games, like Overwatch, CS:GO, and even the CoD games that are a year or two old, would all see over 60FPS max settings, and reducing a few sliders a tad can get the 480 to push high frame rates at that resolution in most games.

It genuinely seems to me that Linus doesn't want to give AMD or Freesync credit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Capture4.PNG

I .... he ... errr, even if the Fury/FuryX or such card cannot keep ~100 Hz in CSGO or Overwatch on appropriate details at that resolution, isn't that what the frickin Freesync is for? To ... you know, synchronize refresh rate of monitor to output rate of GPU in order to stop tearing and make image smooth? This is review of monitor with Freesync feature, not GPU performance benchmark.

Edit: I am willing to pair this monitor with 290X/RX480 while waiting for what Vega brings in. Monitors last much longer than GPUs. If current card cannot keep up at full refresh rate - that's when Freesync kicks in. I just need to know frequency range at least, then I decide for myself, thank you.

11 minutes ago, Juan71287 said:

Hi all. I am new and noob at all this. I am just wondering, why buy this monitor, when you can get this one from LG for maybe 100 more? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O78DPS?ref=emc_b_5_t

Just looking for an explanation on what I am not seeing of course.

Thanks.

It has a higher refresh rate (meaning more frames can be displayed on the monitor at one time) and is cheaper.

16 minutes ago, Juan71287 said:

Hi all. I am new and noob at all this. I am just wondering, why buy this monitor, when you can get this one from LG for maybe 100 more? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019O78DPS?ref=emc_b_5_t

Just looking for an explanation on what I am not seeing of course.

Thanks.

100 Hz refresh rate compared to 75 Hz of LG.

Other very important details about this monitor, missed in this review:

Model  M340CLZ

New panel from Samsung; Microboard probably got to it as either engineering samples or second-rate finalized panels because at the time of release from Microboard Samsung hasn't introduced their monitors yet
8 ms response time on default setting, 4 ms on fast setting

42-100 Hz Freesync refresh rate

But according to manufacturer's page panel can go up to 144 Hz on 2560x1080 resolution!!!

Can use 2 inputs separately for PIP/PBP

Full feature list and discussion thread about this monitor: http://www.overclock.net/t/1614783/korean-microboard-m340clz-34-3440x1440-100hz-freesync-curved-monitor-discussion-thread

Other Youtube review:

Hope it helps other people looking for the same information that were omitted from this review. It actually starts looking really interesting, except for color reproduction and guarantee.

Source: Googling and Ebay