Microboard Korean Curved Ultrawide 100Hz Gaming Monitor

LinusTech

I put my thoughts in my status update, but I really think this was a really badly done review if you can call it that. Even as a "showcase" I found it bad.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

23 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I put my thoughts in my status update, but I really think this was a really badly done review if you can call it that. Even as a "showcase" I found it bad.

That's why I don't bother with LTT videos anymore. They have become laughably bad in quality but Linus can do no wrong apparently.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

What kind of excuse is that for not throwing a Fury or Fury X on the bench to test free-sync? Did he forget that Vega GPUs will be coming that at the very least will be as fast as a 1080? Meaning even if you have an nvidia card, down the line assuming the free-sync works well on the display which we don't know at least by that review, you could in theory swap out your 1080 for a bit higher end Vega GPU if it exists

Or maybe nvidia will care about freedom and add support for free-sync, at which point assuming it's just 100% working same on AMD, people watching the review in the future will know if the adaptive sync on it is good, and could then buy it, knowing it'll work well whatever GPU they have

The Fury X at least is around a stock 1070's level, I'm pretty sure it can handle CS:GO/Dota 2/Overwatch at 4k no issue, it could even do like DOOM Vulkan at medium settings for solid frame rates, or Hitman(2016) with DX12

There's basically no reason not to at least test it to see if it works well, the review is incomplete without testing the free-sync capability of a display

and as a small side note, the linus tech tips team probably has more resources than any other tech youtube channel aside from maybe PCper, your reviews could and in my mind should be far more detailed than they are

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Way late to this, but on youtube, his reply was:

Capture4.PNG

That being said, I think the out of box color kind of kills it for me at least...I mean your average person does not have a color calibrator (Even a cheap one like the X-rite ColorMunki).

Call me naïve, but that was much worse than I expected :/ 

Is he reviewing the monitor or its potential users in the end?

And isn't the whole point of Freesync precisely dealing with scenarios where you dip below the refresh rate? If your system gives you 100FPS minimum then all you need is vsync at most. Giving Freesync as a reason to change his mind and do the review doesn't help to understand it either.

first post, I AM A NVIDIA USER WITH A GYSNC DISPLAY, and a loonnggg time viewer but this way to outrageous. running a nano or a fury x with it would have been perfect to showcase freesync... if you get 100 or more fps on a monitor that maxes out at 100hz, gsync and freesync won't function... because their limit is your monitors max refresh rate. having a card putting out 50 fps when you have a 100 fps limit would showcase the benefit of a tear free experience both freesync and gsync offer.

and then complain about it tearing because it lacks gsync? what??? REALLY? its a freesync display! if anything you should have been complaining about NVIDIA REFUSING TO ADOPT THE OPEN STANDARD CALLED ADAPTIVE SYNC.

his excuse "amd doesn't have a card out that can run ""AAA"" at 100 fps at this resolution" is absolutely ridiculous. you wouldn't care about gsync or freesync if you got 100+ on a 100hz monitor because gsync and freesync would be completely mute. let alone there are more than just ""AAA"" games out there.

7 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Capture4.PNG

That being said, I think the out of box color kind of kills it for me at least...I mean your average person does not have a color calibrator (Even a cheap one like the X-rite ColorMunki).

Oh that's horseshit.....

LTT has really gone downhill...
Techquickie is the only thing that's worth staying subscribed to nowadays, the main channel really lost its fire with all this pandering to the lowest common denominator...

Desktop: AMD x4 860k | Kingston 2x 4GB 1333MHz Sapphire Radeon 280x VaporX DualX

Laptop: Acer Aspire 5741G held together by crushed hopes and dreams

Tablet: Chuwi Hi10 | Intel Atom x5-Z8300 | 4GB RAM

I'm pretty sure a 390x - FuryX can run 1440p.  Even an RX 480, considering it can run BF1 at 4k..

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

7 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Capture4.PNG

You've got to be kidding me.

And can someone tell me why one needs to play Crysis 3 to test a monitor? What does that (specific) game even tell you about a monitor?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

5 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

And can someone tell me why one needs to play Crysis 3 to test a monitor? What does that (specific) game even tell you about a monitor?

I believe that the reason he uses Crysis 3 is that it has a benchmark, and when it came out, it was not an easy game to run, hence all of the "can it run crysis?" memes. Now because of that meme, which he had referenced a few times in various videos, I think he started using it as a standard game to test PC's so if people bought up the question, he could say yes.

Ryzen 7 7800X3D  | Asus Tuf RTX 3070 | 32GB DDR5-6000 | MSI MPG B650E | Lian Li Q58

2 minutes ago, VeryColdAir said:

I believe that the reason he uses Crysis 3 is that it has a benchmark, and when it came out, it was not an easy game to run, hence all of the "can it run crysis?" memes. Now because of that meme, which he had referenced a few times in various videos, I think he started using it as a standard game to test PC's so if people bought up the question, he could say yes.

...What? We're testing a monitor dude. Not a CPU or GPU.

Probably the most important game to test on these high refresh rate monitors would be CS:GO, hands down. And yet he plays Crysis 3... God knows why.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Let's face it, Linus' videos are hardly any good anymore... they're half arsed, the testing methodology is crap, and they're occasionally downright misleading. This review only reinforces that idea even more.

I genuinely don't believe he's a NVIDIA schill but he's far from being a decent reviewer. If you want good reviews, there are plenty of other websites and TechTubers out there who are way, way better when it comes to quality

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

29 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Let's face it, Linus' videos are hardly any good anymore... they're half arsed, the testing methodology is crap, and they're occasionally downright misleading. This review only reinforces that idea even more.

I genuinely don't believe he's a NVIDIA schill but he's far from being a decent reviewer. If you want good reviews, there are plenty of other websites and TechTubers out there who are way, way better when it comes to quality

Is all the Linus hate warranted? Like.. we're on the bloody LTT forum. 

I too would have liked to see the FreeSync aspect tested @LinusTech. I could see myself using a large monitor like this for productivity reasons (spreadsheets/programming, not colour related stuff 9_9), and it would be nice to know how a card like an RX480 fared with FreeSync enabled to help mediate any framerate dips when I do game. Especially since I mostly just play Overwatch atm. The argument in the YouTube reply was that most people wouldn't pair that monitor with a ~$200ish GPU. That assumes that gaming is the user's first (or only) priority.

One of the least complete LTT reviews IMHO. But the least we can do is be constructive here..

1 minute ago, seabrookmx said:

Does it matter whether or not we're on the LTT forum? If Linus fucks up, I have the right to criticise him. He fucked up, so now he's copping the flak.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

24 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Does it matter whether or not we're on the LTT forum? If Linus fucks up, I have the right to criticise him. He fucked up, so now he's copping the flak.

Sure it's your right. But mature, educated, and constructive criticism usually gets you farther than straight up calling someone a shitty reviewer. I actually want him to do a separate bit on the FreeSync aspects of this monitor. If you're going to pour on the salt maybe your comments would be better suited to Youtube? 

55 minutes ago, seabrookmx said:

I too would have liked to see the FreeSync aspect tested @LinusTech. I could see myself using a large monitor like this for productivity reasons (spreadsheets/programming, not colour related stuff 9_9), and it would be nice to know how a card like an RX480 fared with FreeSync enabled to help mediate any framerate dips when I do game. Especially since I mostly just play Overwatch atm. The argument in the YouTube reply was that most people wouldn't pair that monitor with a ~$200ish GPU. That assumes that gaming is the user's first (or only) priority.

One of the least complete LTT reviews IMHO. But the least we can do is be constructive here..

Just to generalize this.. Linus (or any reviewer) can't possibly imagine all use cases for a product. So giving an opinion from a gaming standpoint is fair.. but that's no reason to completely gloss over a key feature like FreeSync. There's always going to be non-standard use cases that a product might fit in to, and solid coverage of the product itself (and all it's features) will help those non-standard users even in the absence of a recommendation for their use case. 

13 minutes ago, seabrookmx said:

Sure it's your right. But mature, educated, and constructive criticism usually gets you farther than straight up calling someone a shitty reviewer. I actually want him to do a separate bit on the FreeSync aspects of this monitor. If you're going to pour on the salt maybe your comments would be better suited to Youtube? 

The video is flawed in many, many ways and the fact he's defending it just shows that something like constructive criticism isn't going to change much (if anything).

The truth is that it was a bad review and all the flak he's getting for it (including mine) is deserved. Nobody should argue against that.

Spoiler

I think I have a better option than the X-star monitor: The AOC C3583FQ . Its a 2560x1080 AMVA Panel with 160hz of Refresh Rate. It would be a better option, and the price its cheaper than 700$...

There is the Link to Buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AOC-C3583FQ-35in-VA-Curved-LED-Display-35-in-LCD-Monitor-TFT-Active-Matrix-/152314905357?hash=item2376ad030d:g:yBEAAOSwcUBYJnd6

4K Monitor or similar have a lot of problems to hide the blur effect on their panels, and the AOC looks like a good Gaming Ultra Wide monitor without expending 1000$+-...

18 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Capture4.PNG

Basically the methodology is as flawed as the justification for it. And it is not an AMD vs. NVIDIA argument.

The 1080 cannot push 100 frames at that resoultion on actually recent AAA titles either. So it comes down to the choice of game, which is obviously completely arbitrary then. Especially considering that Crysis is not commonly used by many publications as a benchmark at this point, for good reasons.

But this is NOT a GPU test, in fact the testing medium (both hardware and software) is actually irrelevant, as long as it delivers the interesting testing situation for the MONITOR review. So, even if LTT wants to stay with this 4 year old "dinosaur" of a game, there is no reason at all not to lower the settings, even the resolution, so whichever AMD card on hand is able to push the 100FPS requred for the scenario.

Lastly, both Gsync and Freesync exist precisely for those cases where the GPU frame output is actually lower than the native refresh rate. So not only would it actually have been necessary for a complete test to actually get less than 100 frames -  a Gsync panel would not have given the complete picture either when the frames with the GTX1080 are at/above 100FPS!!

As it stands, the min-max adaptive sync refresh rates are the hardest to come by with many monitors, and even worse with a "grey import" like this.

So this is a very important element of an adaptive sync monitor review.

19 hours ago, SanityAgathion said:

I .... he ... errr, even if the Fury/FuryX or such card cannot keep ~100 Hz in CSGO or Overwatch on appropriate details at that resolution, isn't that what the frickin Freesync is for? To ... you know, synchronize refresh rate of monitor to output rate of GPU in order to stop tearing and make image smooth? This is review of monitor with Freesync feature, not GPU performance benchmark.

Edit: I am willing to pair this monitor with 290X/RX480 while waiting for what Vega brings in. Monitors last much longer than GPUs. If current card cannot keep up at full refresh rate - that's when Freesync kicks in. I just need to know frequency range at least, then I decide for myself, thank you.

Tahiti generation graphics cards can drive CS:GO 2560*1440 at 144 FPS, so I'm not buying that excuse.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

"Let's shoot a video in 30min and call it a day, it will be perfect for our viewers." I imagine that was the thought process of Linus.

Gsync was mentioned more times in that video than FreeSync. I don't usually give any damn about Linus crappy videos, but this one - damn..

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Well, if i want that monitor this video is useless.

I want to know if freesync actually works and i have no clue now.

Oh well... I'm disappointed that even tho they have more employees than ever, they sometimes fail to remember the basics...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Lets make a video a day is taking too much over... I understand you need to steadily roll out videos now, but these days I watch less than 1/3 of them.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

On 12/10/2016 at 7:39 PM, RGProductions said:

Prob no AMD card that can drive that.

You know, if an R9 390 has absolutely no trouble with TF2 with 4x MSAA at 3200x1800, I don't see that being used as an excuse for CS:GO, which is better optimized than the former.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.