Where do you want to live?

DutchTexan

It's 1,000 times better to live in Texas than South Africa and Nevada. However, I don't think there's a place better than South Africa to vacation. At the same time, South Africa is one of the worst places to actually reside.

Where is the best place to live?

Where is the best place to vacation? 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

No idea about holidays, but I think the area on the southern Dutch and German border looks very nice, but I'd rather live on the German side, cos I'm learning German. But basically anywhere in north western Europe.

4 minutes ago, Wrb said:

No idea about holidays, but I think the area on the southern Dutch and German border looks very nice, but I'd rather live on the German side, cos I'm learning German. But basically anywhere in north western Europe.

Yes, I think that would be a nice area, maybe a tiny bit more to the south near the Nurburgring. I think the Nederlands is perfectly okay, too.

Although, the cost of living always makes me hesitate to entertain anything outside Texas.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

for me.

holidays: hawaii or mexico

residing: 2 hours from here, in san jose, ca.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

for me.

holidays: hawaii or mexico

residing: 2 hours from here, in san jose, ca.

What does gas cost over there in San Jose? I would hate to purchase a home in Calli. What you get and what you pay for is just too crazy. Property taxes are pretty high where I live, but I imagine they are much worse there too.

I've chilled all over the Yucatan peninsula for about a week. Fucking beautiful there. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Vancouver, BC, Canada. Good place to vacation. Horrible place to live (more like good luck finding a place to live here).

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

There isn't a specific "place" i'd like to live, but there are certain conditions i would like.

I want a house on a sizable plot of land somewhere in the sticks, but close enough to civilization that my only shopping choices aren't walmart and i can keep my current job.

in my state, VA, there isn't anything that meets those conditions that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

However just on the other side of the NC boarder there are a bunch of places that i've been tempting to look into. 

I don't know what the best is for me, way too much comes into play when deciding what is the best. Where I live now is pretty okay, but I would like to live a bit closer to the big city (even though I live minutes away with a bike from a big city) since going to a city quickly is nice.

Things like weather, language(s) spoken, society, stores nearby, parks nearby, etc. etc. come to mind to when deciding for a perfect place to live.

You can fine tune what places you and make where you want to live adapt to who you are, but it may be better to adapt to where you are now.

(oh and as for weather, I wish we had some more snow here)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Vancouver, BC, Canada. Good place to vacation. Horrible place to live (more like good luck finding a place to live here).

I hear there are some real crazies there. If someone breaks into your house and starts stealing, then you'd be charged for shooting or defending your property. Is that really how things fly there?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

3 hours ago, Thunderpup said:

There isn't a specific "place" i'd like to live, but there are certain conditions i would like.

I want a house on a sizable plot of land somewhere in the sticks, but close enough to civilization that my only shopping choices aren't walmart and i can keep my current job.

in my state, VA, there isn't anything that meets those conditions that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

However just on the other side of the NC boarder there are a bunch of places that i've been tempting to look into. 

Buddy, you need to check out Texas. We got some land here. Only problem is the property taxes can be absolutely ridiculous. We are taxed by the country here. As a state we have 0% property tax, but realistically on average (as a state) we actually have the second highest property tax, or third.

You could buy a 5 acre within 30 minutes of a Costco or a mall center, no problem, but those lots have insane property taxes.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

2 hours ago, Minibois said:

I don't know what the best is for me, way too much comes into play when deciding what is the best. Where I live now is pretty okay, but I would like to live a bit closer to the big city (even though I live minutes away with a bike from a big city) since going to a city quickly is nice.

Things like weather, language(s) spoken, society, stores nearby, parks nearby, etc. etc. come to mind to when deciding for a perfect place to live.

You can fine tune what places you and make where you want to live adapt to who you are, but it may be better to adapt to where you are now.

(oh and as for weather, I wish we had some more snow here)

I don't mind snow. I lived in Northern Nevada for almost 10 years when I was young. I was upstate NY for a full year too. It might be me, but it seems like cold weather makes people lazy.

Humidity is the real killer, but where it's humid everything is much cheaper.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Hard to tell: I'm used to living in a big city I wouldn't want to move to a small town with nothing to do but cities that have more temperate climate than my current one are damn expensive to live in so not ideal.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd love to live in London, Spain, south of France...any European city really. Such beautiful architecture.

That, or New Zealand, as it's most like BC except there are 0 dangerous animals/insects.

For vacation, I'd say Philippines or Thailand.

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's an amazing place to live ;) But you're right the costs are insane. The price paid for poor immigration control.

12 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I hear there are some real crazies there. If someone breaks into your house and starts stealing, then you'd be charged for shooting or defending your property. Is that really how things fly there?

I hear there are multitudes more south of the 49th ;)

There's something here called "reasonable force". If they're in your house unarmed and you shoot them, that's unreasonable.

However if they're armed and they come at you, you kill them, then yes, that's fine.

Chances of a Canadian owning a gun are pretty low though, as is someone breaking into your house to rob you. Most just break in to cook eggs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

22 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Hard to tell: I'm used to living in a big city I wouldn't want to move to a small town with nothing to do but cities that have more temperate climate than my current one are damn expensive to live in so not ideal.

I can't stand large cities. Only boring people get bored in the country. You shouldn't always have to pay to be entertained. 50k people in a city is big enough for me.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

4 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I can't stand large cities. Only boring people get bored in the country. You shouldn't always have to pay to be entertained. 50k people in a city is big enough for me.

It's not about having to pay is about having options: I like having the options of having several kinds of restaurants, several venues, etc. I actually don't go out much myself but when I want to there's always many things to do, my favorite bands often do come to my city and play, I can actually watch movies worth a damn instead of the same, boring hollywood drivel, there's theater plays, there's lots of interesting people to meet, list goes on.

As for your remarks I'd say that only rednecks and hillbillies are comfortable living in the country never interacting with anything remotely different from their same old tired shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's something here called "reasonable force". If they're in your house unarmed and you shoot them, that's unreasonable.

However if they're armed and they come at you, you kill them, then yes, that's fine.

Chances of a Canadian owning a gun are pretty low though, as is someone breaking into your house to rob you. Most just break in to cook eggs.

So 'reasonable force' is a moral philosophy there? There's no official precedent for force? If it's dark you can't know much.

Last year I had a buddy who caught people trying to hook his boat up to a truck in the middle of a night and drive off with it. He shot one of them and ended up getting compensation from the trespassers who was struck by one of his rounds. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It's not about having to pay is about having options: I like having the options of having several kinds of restaurants, several venues, etc. I actually don't go out much myself but when I want to there's always many things to do, my favorite bands often do come to my city and play, I can actually watch movies worth a damn instead of the same, boring hollywood drivel, there's theater plays, there's lots of interesting people to meet, list goes on.

As for your remarks I'd say that only rednecks and hillbillies are comfortable living in the country never interacting with anything remotely different from their same old tired shit.

Hey man, calm down. I'm not trying to insult you. Lol damn.

Have you lived in a city with less than 100k people? I have a telescope that I very much enjoy using to observe deep space objects and heavenly bodies. You can't see other galaxies in a big city, becasue of the light pollution. There's next to no chance of seeing Andromeda without some serious equipment in or near a place like Houston. 

You've never been exposed to what I am thinking of when I say a small town. Try owning something like a 911 gt3 rs in the middle of a gigantic city. 

People have been on this earth for a long time. Yet, a lot of people cant even start a campfire or sleep outside anymore. Everyone has to be entertained all the time. It's a shame; people are never content. I'm not saying you're like that or everyone in a large city is either. I'm just saying I value peace more than most people today. I'd rather spend time doing nothing with people I love than spend time with people doing stuff.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Just now, DutchTexan said:

Hey man, calm down. I'm not trying to insult you.

21 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

-------

Current Rig

-------

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Didn't mean to personally insult you, sorry! People who are largely dependent on their environment are usually pretty boring, from my experience. It is largely true, though. People that get bored out in the country are the same people who freak out without wifi. You have to be creative or a simple, down to earth person to like the sublime peacefulness of the country.

It's not for everyone; the country, small cities, and big cities don't always attract the same people.

You don't want to comment on what I said through the rest of the former statement? The people who own sports cars don't usually live in super large cities. It's not practical. And if astrology is important to you?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

1 minute ago, DutchTexan said:

Didn't mean to personally insult you

You didn't I was merely pointing out how I was rude in reaction to your rudeness but there's nothing personal to it at least on my end.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

You didn't I was merely pointing out how I was rude in reaction to your rudeness but there's nothing personal to it at least on my end.

:1 <3 

You don't want to comment on what I said through the rest of the former statement? The people who own sports cars don't usually live in super large cities. It's not practical. And if astrology is important to you?

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Honestly? Ohio is a pretty great state. Good economy, Columbus is fantastic for jobs and businesses, we have pretty much every season, got forests, mountains, and beautiful lakes. And for those who love hiking, we live close to other states that are better for it (WV). So the perfect spot for me is 20 mins out of Columbus, or in an area that it has annexed. 

Norway, absolutely Norway. I've been a few times and it is literally the greatest country on the face of the earth. I'd move in a heartbeat.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Honestly? Ohio is a pretty great state. Good economy, Columbus is fantastic for jobs and businesses, we have pretty much every season, got forests, mountains, and beautiful lakes. And for those who love hiking, we live close to other states that are better for it (WV). So the perfect spot for me is 20 mins out of Columbus, or in an area that it has annexed. 

I agree Ohio and Colorado have always been really attractive in my mind.

I wish more people understood Texas, though. There is a lot of diversity here. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X