Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CRikhard

A build that is IMPOSSIBLE for Linus to build.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

 

 

 

 

Then again, they did do 8 Titan Xs :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CRikhard said:

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

 

 

 

 

Then again, they did do 8 Titan Xs :P

You can get systems with mulitiple powersupplys. 

 

You can also get also get chassis with 6x 3000w psu's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CRikhard said:

You know how Linus made the video about the AMD R9 295X2 rated at 500W? I just realized it'd be impossible to make a build with four of those because, as far as I know, there are no 2000W+ power supplies.

 

 

 

 

Then again, they did do 8 Titan Xs :P

No 2000W PSUs in the US maybe... http://www.super-flower.com.tw/products_detail.php?class=2&sn=16&ID=119&lang=en


Intel Core i7 5820K | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS RVE | Trident Z 3200MHz 4x4GB | GTX 980 K|NGP|N 2-Way SLi

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Black 32GB | Exynos 8890 Octa | SanDisk Ultra 200GB SDXC

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Valley | Superposition

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anything is impossible with Linus. Some of the systems he has built were nuts........like the 7 gamers 1 PC build.......like seriously, Linus could build anything

Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to see him make a waterproof computer.  Then drive through a carwash with it running in the bed of a pickup.  While doing the Crysis 3 benchmark!


PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

 

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).


NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

 

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

 

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

 

So more excuse to laugh like an evil James Bond villain as you flip the switch to power the beast up?

 

 


PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

 

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

kek


Intel Core i7 5820K | BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | ASUS RVE | Trident Z 3200MHz 4x4GB | GTX 980 K|NGP|N 2-Way SLi

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Black 32GB | Exynos 8890 Octa | SanDisk Ultra 200GB SDXC

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Valley | Superposition

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

 

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

230v Master race :D


Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3900X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Asus Rog Strix Vega 64 8GB OC Edition | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

 

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your definition of impossible is a bit weak...

It's (currently) impossible for him to put together a build while on Pluto. Or on the surface of the Sun.

 

Even if there wasn't any 2000w PSUs (not even in the server land), and using multiple ones wasn't a thing, I wouldn't say it's impossible at all. He could just get someone to build a custom one for him. or even try it himself... He (the company) has money, and contacts.


Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

 Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

                              ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, squirrl said:

Your definition of impossible is a bit weak...

It's (currently) impossible for him to put together a build while on Pluto. Or on the surface of the Sun.

 

Even if there wasn't any 2000w PSUs (not even in the server land), and using multiple ones wasn't a thing, I wouldn't say it's impossible at all. He could just get someone to build a custom one for him. or even try it himself... He (the company) has money, and contacts.

 

Build a gaming computer, inside a gaming computer, that both fit inside a micro ATX case. 


PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kierax said:

I want to see him make a waterproof computer.  Then drive through a carwash with it running in the bed of a pickup.  While doing the Crysis 3 benchmark!

the computer would be easy the hard part would be the monitor


                     ¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vorticalbox said:

the computer would be easy the hard part would be the monitor

Good point, I'd want to see him use his personal OLED TV. 


PC - NZXT 340 Black, Intel i7 6900k, Artic Alpine 11 Pro Cooler, 16GB Corsair DDR 4 2133mhz, Asus H170 Pro Gaming , Gigabyte 1080 OC Windforce, Samsung 250GB EVO, 1TB WD Black.

 

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  

 

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Seems that they can't do competent budget builds either.

they seems to go good at gaming/high end and as low as you can go. I would say its down to the amount or products in the low mid where as the higher builds have clear tiers of hardware.


                     ¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

 

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

Every power supply I've used, admittingly a small sample size, can be switched between 120/240VAC.  240V 15amp outlets are pretty common and not hard to wire in.  I believe that would open up about 3.6kW of available power.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NavyCuda said:

Every power supply I've used, admittingly a small sample size, can be switched between 120/240VAC.  240V 15amp outlets are pretty common and not hard to wire in.  I believe that would open up about 3.6kW of available power.

In North America it would be easier and cheaper to get a 120v 20A circuit than a 240v circuit and outlet (not sure we have "regular" 3 prongs 240v outlet here, but don't quote me on this).


NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

 

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

What makes it complicated (but not impossible) is the "standard" wiring we have in north america, it's usually 120V/15A circuits, so technically it's max 1800w.

 

But like I said, it's not impossible (higher amps wires, fuse/breakers and wall plug do exist, but it's not standard).

Run it off two circuits :)


Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Samson SR 850 | Logitech G502

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

In North America it would be easier and cheaper to get a 120v 20A circuit than a 240v circuit and outlet (not sure we have "regular" 3 prongs 240v outlet here, but don't quote me on this).

Home depot stocks 3 prong, 2 socket 240v outlets.  If you have one 120v outlet on a breaker of its own it would be very straightforward to rewire it to 240v.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NavyCuda said:

Home depot stocks 3 prong, 2 socket 240v outlets.  If you have one 120v outlet on a breaker of its own it would be very straightforward to rewire it to 240v.

HEY! I said "don't quote me on this" xD

 

Good to know we also have 240v 3 prong outlets available! :)

 


NiceHash Mining Guide

Ethereum Mining Guide

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 1x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

 

The Community StandardsPSU Tier list | PSU Whitelist

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

HEY! I said "don't quote me on this" xD

 

Good to know we also have 240v 3 prong outlets available! :)

 

If memory serves me correctly, they are the plugs that have both spades horizontal, with earth ground on the bottom.  I believe Nema 6-15.

 

240v has become much more interesting to me now that I have an electric car.  At home I charge off 120v which makes the car usable once per day as I'm in a rural area.  Also charge at work, but have a 32amp 240v EVSE at work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NavyCuda said:

If memory serves me correctly, they are the plugs that have both spades horizontal, with earth ground on the bottom.  I believe Nema 6-15.

 

240v has become much more interesting to me now that I have an electric car.  At home I charge off 120v which makes the car usable once per day as I'm in a rural area.  Also charge at work, but have a 32amp 240v EVSE at work.

Correct, NEMA 6-15 is what you'd want for a 15amp circuit.  I just changed over a outlet for a mini-mill I have in my basement, took about 10 minutes to do the swap.  You can use the same wiring as long as you're using a 220v breaker with the same amp rating as the 110v one it's replacing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, johnny5c said:

Correct, NEMA 6-15 is what you'd want for a 15amp circuit.  I just changed over a outlet for a mini-mill I have in my basement, took about 10 minutes to do the swap.  You can use the same wiring as long as you're using a 220v breaker with the same amp rating as the 110v one it's replacing.

It's a little more simple than that.  For 240v, one breaker on each leg, so two 15amp breakers. 110v is just one breaker on one leg, with a neutral wire and an earth ground. 

 

I'm not an engineer, just recently replaced my electric hot water tank! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×