Profanity Filter

Clanscorpia
Go to solution Solved by Clanscorpia,

Well, as usual, my ideas are deemed shit by the community :P

Why? Profanity filters are stupidly annoying. As someone already stated if you aren't ready to learn about female/male anatomy you aren't ready for the internet.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

9 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

well to be honest, this idea isn't that stupid, but there isn't any demand for such a thing on this forum due to multiple reasons.

A) you have click a box that says you are 13+ when you sign up, if not the consequence's are at personal risk.

B) there isn't really any need for it here.

C) if it was needed people are likely to work around it if there is any real need to use such language.

D) everybody has it's own way of speaking and "profane" words such as "fuck" can also be meant positive like in "that's fucking awesome!" that's a way of speaking that I actually handle on a daily basis, a lot of profane word abuse, without the intend to cause harm, luckily I'm in a environment where that is being understood since I'm also able to communicate on a more sophisticated level then I normally show.

E) there are in the off topic section language based communities, like the German and Dutch groups, taking the Dutch one as example, when we say "douche" it translates to shower and not the typical person that has the behaviour of a monkey with a keyboard.

F) even flame wars are on a language level pretty civilised, the bigger problem is rather the people and/or trolls themselves.

G) like mentioned in point D, not every situation allows for a more civilised and sophisticated level of communication due to problems that arise with the lack of intonation of words and sentence's alike.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

9 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

I doubt people are going to purposely try to evade it

You forgot the massive throbbing "/s" ;) Seriously though... you are kidding right?  That's like the number 1 thing people will try to do.  They will put their entire life force into doing it.  For the reasons listed (it shouldn't be necessary, it wouldn't work, people would just evade it, etc.) I wouldn't hold by breath about this becoming a thing any time soon.

5 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Unfortunately moderation cannot be discussed, so I can't actually prove it. But yes, your account can be banned if you're underage.

I know that it's mod policy to actively remove any personal information posted by or about younger users, but this would be news to me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I know that it's mod policy to actively remove any personal information posted by or about younger users, but this would be news to me.

I only know of one or two people that have been banned because of age. This was a while ago though.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I only know of one or two people that have been banned because of age. This was a while ago though.

Well, regardless of it that's true or not, there seems to be a simple solution to that - don't flaunt your age around :P Seriously, as much as we like to think we have absolute control, if someone doesn't make it apparent that they're 8 years old, we'd never know.  Now, of course it's generally pretty hard to hide that, even if you don't say things like "windows XP is older than I am!" or outright post your age, just based on the experience level of things such a person would say, but the point remains.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, regardless of it that's true or not, there seems to be a simple solution to that - don't flaunt your age around :P Seriously, as much as we like to think we have absolute control, if someone doesn't make it apparent that they're 8 years old, we'd never know.  Now, of course it's generally pretty hard to hide that, even if you don't say things like "windows XP is older than I am!" or outright post your age, just based on the experience level of things such a person would say, but the point remains.

Yeeeeeaaaah. You'd think a small amount of common sense would be used.

Profanity filters, can in situations be useful. In games it can sometimes be nice to have the option to turn on a profanity filter, for people who find it repulsive.

However, in a mostly open forum, where opinions are often strong, putting in place a profanity filter would only serve to annoy people who are trying to get their real feelings across and are unable to find the correct word. That and there are times when a fuck or damn are perfectly acceptable. People will find a way around the filters though, they literally always do. If someone is going to say fuck, they're going to find 100 ways to spell it and try each and every single one. 

If profanity really bothers you so much, then I'm 100% certain there is a browser addon somewhere out there that actively censors profanity in webpages, I'd highly suggest just using something like that.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Mostly off topic, but this has been bugging me for a while now. Are you some sort of new breed of mod? One that actually contributes to the community very frequently, and by more than just answering questions and moderating? Like seriously. Perhaps I've just missed all the other mods posting, but seriously it seems like 8 times out of 10, if a mod posts something, its you rofl.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Go ahead put a filter on, give me 2hours, I will find a way past it.

I take it as a personal challenge, once I've succeeded though I get bored quickly.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

28 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Go ahead put a filter on, give me 2hours, I will find a way past it.

I take it as a personal challenge, once I've succeeded though I get bored quickly.

so now we need a hacker ban.........

1 minute ago, LabRat said:

so now we need a hacker ban.........

OOO another challenge. ;)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Unsure how finding a hole in a profanity filter makes you a hacker but I guess I too am a hacker now!

As to the filter, if people are bothered I'm sure there are 100's of browser extension for this kind of stuff, how well they work is something I won't make a comment on. Its a good suggestion in a way, but they never work and if they do, chances are there will start blocking out words like duck and truck because I guess saying duck and ducking or trucking would be a way around it. Besides, in my honest opinion this is not a forum for people under the age of 13 neither would I like it to be just because they are all over the internet already, and many of them have no common sense and no parental guidance, atleast it looks like it most of the time. I do however not put them all in the same box, I have come over the occasional teens or kids that have been very nice and reasonable. But thats like 1 out of a 1000. Besides, if you can't handle profanity on the internet, just gtfo, its no place for the delicate minds.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

9 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Yeeeeeaaaah. You'd think a small amount of common sense would be used.

I think we've all been around for long enough to know that's not a thing :D 

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Profanity filters, can in situations be useful. In games it can sometimes be nice to have the option to turn on a profanity filter, for people who find it repulsive.

It's one thing where you can just toggle a pre-programmed option to not play or to beep out parts of the script, but adding a filter for things people type will almost certainly never accomplish the original goal.  The other thing is that this forum actually has relatively little swearing from my experience.  It's not like we're riddled with sailors swearing in every other post, so I find it kind of funny actually that it was suggested we try to add one.  Even in this thread, which, due to it's topic, should have been a prime target for people to just start swearing as much as they can, stayed pretty tame frankly.

8 hours ago, Atmos said:

Mostly off topic, but this has been bugging me for a while now. Are you some sort of new breed of mod? One that actually contributes to the community very frequently, and by more than just answering questions and moderating? Like seriously. Perhaps I've just missed all the other mods posting, but seriously it seems like 8 times out of 10, if a mod posts something, its you rofl.

Some are more active than others... I was already pretty active before and I wasn't planning to change that :)

20 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

ikr

I just posted this here because I remembered the video, which is quite interesting.

what's wrong with Scunthrope though? apart that it has cunt in it? Why did he act so weird and run away?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what's wrong with Scunthrope though? apart that it has cunt in it? Why did he act so weird and run away?

Back in '95-y2k , AOL prevented residents from Scunthorpe from creating an account because the profanity filter blocked the word "cunt". Some years later Google apparently made the same mistake, lol ( they wouldn't let people search for businesses from Scunthorpe)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

21 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

21 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

11 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They will put their entire life force into doing it.

It gets better with later parts ))

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

what happened to that vid where Linus talked about the site and the rules? ( might have been in a WAN show )..??

A profanity filter may not be the best solution because they can be evaded as I have seen on various chat services that have the filters in place.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

21 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

I'm not concerned, but some kids will see Linus videos and  come here. And honestly, who gives 1 shit about the are you 13 or older? Seriously

That is actually tied to a colloquial government data collection law.

The government says companies are not legally allowed to spy on children under 13. That is why you have to be 13 or older.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Scunthorpe.

That is all.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

On 7/3/2016 at 3:42 PM, Clanscorpia said:

You completely missed the point of the video. "Curse words" regularly are components of larger everyday words. 

My friend Dick was embarrassed when he realized his newly installed window was cocked.

My friend **** was embarr***ed  when he realized his newly installed window was ****ed.

profanity filters don't fcuking work, and simpliy break the sh!t out of an otherwise dam good forum.

Wanting to create laws, rules, and coensorship for the sake of others that don' want it? Sounds like you have an interesting future in politics.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

38 minutes ago, asand1 said:

You completely missed the point of the video. "Curse words" regularly are components of larger everyday words. 

My friend Dick was embarrassed when he realized his newly installed window was cocked.

My friend **** was embarr***ed  when he realized his newly installed window was ****ed.

profanity filters don't fcuking work, and simpliy break the sh!t out of an otherwise dam good forum.

Wanting to create laws, rules, and coensorship for the sake of others that don' want it? Sounds like you have an interesting future in politics.

It was just an idea for young children. Calm the fuck down

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

It was just an idea for young children. Calm the fuck down

Stop reacting like a 13 year old and apply logic while reading my previous post minus the political jab. You will see the folly in profanity filters. They block the wrong text, while profane posters just sidestep the filter anyway. This forum is already PG13, no need to protect the innocent here. 

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

I recall a site setting up a filter which was very unpopular, locals got around this by writing the swear word in notepad, print screening this, then hotlinking the image into discussions.

Drove the moderators mad before they realized. 

On 7/3/2016 at 5:48 PM, Clanscorpia said:

I don't agree, your idea is not shit it is just not practical, unfortunately, no matter how well intended it is.

The only real filter is a good parent that monitors what their child is involved in on the internet and puts limits on what they believe is inappropriate for the child.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2016 at 6:42 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

You know when you sign up, there's that section "Are you 13 or older?" you have to click on. Yeahh.. That's a thing.

Also, it's the internet, if parents are concerned they should be monitor their child's online activities. Should be common knowledge to them and children that everything you can imagine is online. So if you're concerned about seeing swearing, fuck off and go to a different website. :P

Seriously though.

Hey signed up for tomshardware 5months later wait I'm getting banned for cursing in a couple post so why did I have to say I'm 13 or older and I'm also getting close for asking a badly worded my friend got this laptop and the person forgot the password and I need a way to basically reset do you know a way. And fuck punctuation