Apple's new file system: introducing APFS

4 hours ago, Noire said:

Is it safe to assume this is ZFS? lol

N...no. No that's not a safe assumption. It bares some similarities, but I don't think we can quite go that far yet.

But in time? Perhaps, it might be quite similar when the final public release is launched.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

If only I gave a shit about Macs.

On a more serious note, this kind of thing would be nice on IOS.

Plus it's conceivable that Linux will steal this soon enough :P  I don't think anyone uses it, but HFS+ is supported option when I've tried in the past.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

37 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

This file system is across all of apple OSs, ie, iOS, macOS, watchOS, tvOS

So will this mean the long-awaited death of HFS+?

34 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

While HFS+ supports some really good features, if I recall correctly, it has some super major limitations. APFS is a good start. I hope they add more features over time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On June 14, 2016 at 3:34 AM, LAwLz said:

Sounds neat. I wonder what the performance will be like once it is ready for prime time. 

Performance should still be solid, especially considering the supported hardware platforms coincide neatly with Intel's implementation of AES-NI in their processors.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Meh, gonna stay with ZFS and underlying LUKS encryption for modularity.

7 hours ago, JoeyDM said:

Probably not, but I'd say it's safe to say it has one foot in the grave. I'd imagine that they'll roll it out as the primary file system for new devices when it's launched and still provide on-going legacy support for HFS+ for years to come as I'd imagine a lot of people would have older TimeMachine backups, or external drives that they can't be bothered reformatting, or don't know how to. 

...why not use zfs and adhere to a common standard that works well for freaking ONCE?

On 14/6/2016 at 3:24 AM, Belgarathian said:

newer file systems such as ZFS.

It's kind of sad that ZFS is considered a "new" file system when it's been around for 10 years.

23 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why iOS? I don't think anyone will use their iPhone as a storage server with software raid... this sort of improvement doesn't do much for the low storage space we're dealing with on mobile. Besides I'd say it's plenty fast already.

23 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's definitely legacy support at this point. Windows is horribly non-modular. If you tried to swap out NTFS then everything would break. That's why even the new ReFS is very similar to NTFS.

Sometimes I wish Microsoft took the big step and rebuilt their OS from scratch to make it POSIX-compliant and not the intricate mess it currently is. They could even keep decent retrocompatibility since they have all the sources to all frameworks and APIs, make a sort of wine on steroids.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Probably not, but I'd say it's safe to say it has one foot in the grave. I'd imagine that they'll roll it out as the primary file system for new devices when it's launched and still provide on-going legacy support for HFS+ for years to come as I'd imagine a lot of people would have older TimeMachine backups, or external drives that they can't be bothered reformatting, or don't know how to. 

I don't know, they didn't seem to care much about legacy support when they ditched powerpc for a completely different architecture that had no compatibility with their older systems whatsoever.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I don't know, they didn't seem to care much about legacy support when they ditched powerpc for a completely different architecture that had no compatibility with their older systems whatsoever.

Well that's true, and you might be right... but OS X & MacOS still supports FAT...

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

Well that's true, and you might be right... but OS X & MacOS still supports FAT...

I think FAT support is there only because they would literally burn all bridges with everything if they removed it. It might also be a residue of the iPod days (and I mean the original iPod, not the antennaless 2-generations-old iPhones they sell now).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 6/14/2016 at 7:24 PM, PCgamer324 said:

OSX PowerUsers rejoice!  Finally a better filesystem 

I might actually upgrade from mavericks to Sierra

in case you didn't know... the gatekeeper thing where you can allow downloads from anywhere option is gone.

They are locking it down. Big time. Not happy about it :(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

in case you didn't know... the gatekeeper thing where you can allow downloads from anywhere option is gone.

slow down there bud... if you alt/option+click or right click or 3dtouch click and select "open" it bypasses gatekeeper after a small prompt

ESXi SysAdmin

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I'm all for locking things down and resorting to a whilelist system (vs blacklist) in attempts to combat viruses, etc. so long as A, there are ways for power users to disable it, and B, there's never a reason to do so for the "normal joe" since otherwise they just will and it will defeat the purpose of the whole system.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

so long as A, there are ways for power users to disable it, and B, there's never a reason to do so for the "normal joe" since otherwise they just will and it will defeat the purpose of the whole system.

again, there is the option to bypass it that is simple enough. Apple has admitted they don't want to impede power users, but they want to protect the normal users by default

ESXi SysAdmin

1 minute ago, Sunshine1868 said:

again, there is the option to bypass it that is simple enough. Apple has admitted they don't want to impede power users, but they want to protect the normal users by default

And that's a good way to do it.  I forgot to say that I figure Apple will be the first to implement something like this that actually works.

On 14 de junio de 2016 at 7:09 PM, AluminiumTech said:

According to this article in mac rumors, APFS will come to tvOS, iOS, macOS and watchOS at some point. 

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

6 hours ago, ElZamo92 said:

According to this article in mac rumors, APFS will come to tvOS, iOS, macOS and watchOS at some point. 

Well they do claim that they build all their OS's on a unified platform (not dissimilar to what Windows is currently doing) so that apps are easy to port - so that would make sense. 

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

Well they do claim that they build all their OS's on a unified platform (not dissimilar to what Windows is currently doing) so that apps are easy to port - so that would make sense. 

But Microsoft is more anal about a unified platform than apple.

Apart from IOS using the same filesystem and same Darwin base as macOS, they are very different.

Microsoft on the other hand takes the opposite approach. Everything which can be the same should be the same.

Where the only difference between Windows 10 Mobile and desktop (apart from CPU support and maximum RAM allocation AND Win32 APIs) is the Shell/GUI (Overall Look and feel) and the specific things only a phone does or specific firmware for things only a phone has. (Like a gyroscope or a barometer)

The kernel is damn near identical (not something I can say for IOS and Mac). Oh and Windows 10 Mobile kernel is customized a tiny bit so that it doesn't run .exe files and similar files.

It only runs .appx files.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Apart from IOS using the same filesystem and same Darwin base as macOS, they are very different.

[Citation Needed]

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The kernel is damn near identical (not something I can say for IOS and Mac).

[Citation Needed]

Both macOS and iOS uses the same kernel (XNU).

OS X 10.11.5 and iOS 9.3.2 even has the exact same kernel version (15.5.0).

They even contain lots of the same kexts (although some are specific to a certain platform, for example drivers)

Apple's Propriatery File System. It's also encrypted so have fun accesing data.

Format your drive with APFS at your local Apple store now for only 39.99$.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

Apple's Propriatery File System. It's also encrypted so have fun accesing data.

Format your drive with APFS at your local Apple store now for only 39.99$.

Well, isn't that the whole point of encryption? :P 

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, isn't that the whole point of encryption? :P 

@Djole123 CLEARLY has something against apple ? 

ESXi SysAdmin

4 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

@Djole123 CLEARLY has something against apple ? 

Don't we all though? :D  I'm not going to let it interfere with liking something they do well though