EU: Import duties on consumer, professional electronic products eliminated.

goodtofufriday

1st of July 2016 EU will eliminate import duties (tax) on some of the consumer, professional electronic products. "Most of the products (approximately 50%) mentioned in this agreement will attract a 0% import duty rate upon import into the EU. For other ITA products, import duties will be gradually eliminated over a three-year period, for sensitive products this could be up to seven years."

Source: 

https://www.meijburg.com/news/ita-eu-import-duties-on-a-wide-range-of-electronic-products-eliminated-as-of-july-1-2016

https://home.kpmg.com/xx/en/home/insights/2016/04/tnf-eu-import-duties-on-consumer-professional-electronic-products-eliminated.html

List is as follows:

The product list for which EU import duties will be eliminated includes:

• Microphones, headphones, earphones, speakers, amplifiers, and their component parts
  • MP3/MP4 players, radio tuners, car stereos, and their component parts
  • DVD, Blu-ray, and HD players and recorders, and their component parts
  • Television cameras, and video cameras, and their component parts
  • e-readers
  • Medical equipment: sophisticated medical equipment such as scanners, machines for magnetic resonance imaging, tomography or dental care and ophthalmology
  • Video games and consoles
  • Multi-component integrated circuits (MCOs)
  • Aerials and aerial reflectors
  • Telecommunication satellites, and their component parts
  • Automotive camera modules
  • Thermometers and pyrometers
  • Instruments for aeronautical and space navigation

Genuinely curious if this will help sales at all, or if companies will take advantage of this and keeps the prices of their products the same while taking in what would normally go to tax.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

prices will go down like 5-10% at best. probably won't change.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Great news for us Brits if we no longer have to pay the import tax on US stuff - I am always wanting to buy from US sellers but it hardly ever stacks up.

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

I will need to dig into this deeper, but this suggests to me it is only the duty element that is eliminated, not the VAT element which would still be applicable and often forms the bulk of any fees.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, ShoshinUK said:

Great news for us Brits if we no longer have to pay the import tax on US stuff - I am always wanting to buy from US sellers but it hardly ever stacks up.

Something will come along that will screw us over lol

this is actually pretty awesome. because for some stuff prices in europe are stupid. with falling shipping costs we could really save some money here.

now there are no excuses for having massively higher prices in europe.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

If I read the above right, right now you can be charged duty on what you buy (variable), and VAT on top of that. Even if they removed duty, the VAT would still be there. The saving would be whatever the duty was. And for personal imports, expect the ludicrous handling fee charged by whoever delivered it too.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

If I read the above right, right now you can be charged duty on what you buy (variable), and VAT on top of that. Even if they removed duty, the VAT would still be there. The saving would be whatever the duty was. And for personal imports, expect the ludicrous handling fee charged by whoever delivered it too.

Vat still applies. Duty is still active until July, gov site will reflect that.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

At first this seems like a god-send for the people of the EU, but I've heard from a lot of people that (for example) buying a 1080 from American and having it shipped over, even with the import fees and all that is still cheaper than buying it locally, so what they really need to fix is the local prices, since this development is just going to make more people import their stuff.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It's something, but it's still not going to get close to the prices possible in basically-no-taxes land (a.k.a. America).

It is good move by EU but VAT still does apply. Meaning if I wanted to get one of those sweet Korean monitors UHD 40" for $600 then I would still have to pay 20% tax which would make it $720.

Duties were never such a big deal the main problem is VAT. But oh well. Can't complain much there, it is better than nothing.

1 hour ago, ShoshinUK said:

until you decide to exit the EU and then get slammed with 100% import and export taxes until your gov manages to cut out a deal with other countries. Deals that can take YEARS of beurocrachy to get done.

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It is good move by EU but VAT still does apply. Meaning if I wanted to get one of those sweet Korean monitors UHD 40" for $600 then I would still have to pay 20% tax which would make it $720.

Duties were never such a big deal the main problem is VAT. But oh well. Can't complain much there, it is better than nothing.

duties come before VAT

if that TV had 50% import taxes, before shipping and handling costs. you can assume it will drop in price by 20-30% before VAT is applied.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

At first this seems like a god-send for the people of the EU, but I've heard from a lot of people that (for example) buying a 1080 from American and having it shipped over, even with the import fees and all that is still cheaper than buying it locally, so what they really need to fix is the local prices, since this development is just going to make more people import their stuff.

It's not only the 1080. My gf had iPad Air 2 bought in US by a friend, even with taxes (he was not so clever to take it out of the box), it was cheaper by $150 than here. And many more things. Friend bought a 4790K at Microcenter for $179 a year ago, even with taxes that would be much less than $431, which is the price of it atm here. I could go on for months. I mean my PC (in my profile) was $1050 year and half ago. Imagine what I could get in the US. That's case only. 

Either way, if we can get a tax removed that's great, everything helps. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, Prysin said:

duties come before VAT

if that TV had 50% import taxes, before shipping and handling costs. you can assume it will drop in price by 20-30% before VAT is applied.

Hmmm. I will have to look better into this then.

10 minutes ago, Prysin said:

until you decide to exit the EU and then get slammed with 100% import and export taxes until your gov manages to cut out a deal with other countries. Deals that can take YEARS of beurocrachy to get done.

LOL fair point!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that is because there is a chain of "expenses"

Product cost + global shipping cost + import taxes + shipping taxes locally + retailer margins = retail price + VAT

i was blue when my noctua linustech fans arrived from ncix and had to pay an extra 30€ cause duties, hopefully this mean it won't ever be an issue again

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Weird, it's been 0 % on PC Hardware here for several years at least, even though Denmark is part of the EU. I guess the individual countries had the ability to choose what should be taxed and what shouldn't. You still have to pay VAT though.

WOW.

Usually, in my country (France), when a new component comes out, they apply the MSRP to the local sale of the product by keeping the number or going higher, and changing the currency to Euro. For example : a i5-4690k was $242 at launch, which should have translated into 176 euros, but the retail price in France was still 242 euros at release. Which infuriated me since at that time, the exchange rates were $1 = €0.73 (or €1= $1.35). I guess they were applying that tax you are talking about back then. 

With the removal of this tax, we SHOULD get prices reductions. Or I am getting these news totally wrong ?

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

duties come before VAT

Hmmm. I will have to look better into this then.

19 minutes ago, Thiback said:

With the removal of this tax, we SHOULD get prices reductions. Or I am getting these news totally wrong ?

Depending on how high VAT and import duties are in your countries and if resellers actually pass the reduction in their costs down you may see none to only a little of a reducation of store prices for now, as stated in the news the import duties don't get eleminated for all electronic products immidiately, within 3 years the economic in your country can change to your benefit or the opposite.

I would see the elimination of the import duties for of an effect in the future economy as a direct flat discount you could see on your bills.

From the little research I've fone on import duties for my country (Germany) for private individuals the duties are 15-17% and for companies about 10% but latter varies a lot depending on the product. As already states here, the duties get determined before VAT get's applied (you see costums only directly charge both duties and VAT only if you personally import something otherwise the companies has to detemine the VAT and pay it when they get the product in the store). Rought calculation for this situation would be

[ ( product value  + shipping costs ) * customs duty(1.10) ] * VAT (1.19)

if I understood it correctly...

Source

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-individuals/Postal_consignments_internet_order/Shipments-to-Germany/Duties-and-taxes/Assessment-of-taxes-and-duties/assessment-of-taxes-and-duties_node.html;jsessionid=FFF3D47EA211B030B11B6A9CA61391C9.live0512

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Businesses/Movement-of-goods/Import/Duties-and-taxes/Normal-customs-clearance/Rate-of-duty/rate-of-duty_node.html;jsessionid=557320B5875AFDC15C1B13408B381CC6.live0501

Import tax and such really suck so much! Something that comes from US to EU is priced 20-50% more which is insane. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, SuperShires said:

Something will come along that will screw us over lol

I hope what I say won't happen, but I honestly could imagine this happening,

Import Duties go down -> VAT goes up

UK Government loves to screw us over. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

6 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

It's not only the 1080. My gf had iPad Air 2 bought in US by a friend, even with taxes (he was not so clever to take it out of the box), it was cheaper by $150 here. And many more things. Friend bought a 4790K at Microcenter for $179 a year ago, even with taxes that would be much less than $431, which is the price of it atm here. I could go on for months. I mean my PC (in my profile) was $1050 year and half ago. Imagine what I could get in the US.

Either way, if we can get a tax removed that's great, everything helps. 

You should try NZ... Not just electronics, pretty much everything.

1080 FE - $1499 NZD

I probably spent damn near $7,000 on my computer and peripherals. X34 monitor, $2000 NZD - 900D case $599. I could go on. Exchange rate at the moment is $1.57=1USD, but not long ago it was $1.1

This is great news, because the excise duty is the first thing added when the item arrives in the country, that means that there will  be a price drop of 10-18% to the starting price before VAT and other fees are applied to it.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W