When you built your first PC did you buy all of the parts at once or get them individually?

When you built your first PC did you buy all of your parts at once or did you buy each part separately?   I'm asking because I've bought a power supply, cpu and water cooler, however I don't have my storage, ram gpu etc.  Did you hunt around for deals, or just go with what the price of stuff was at the time?  I'm asking this because I am wondering how much time you take to assemble parts, and how much time you spend hunting deals out.  I'm in Canada, so our pricing is pretty high, making me want to try to find the best deals/prices possible. .....

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

I bought them as I got money.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

I bought one piece at a time, when i could afford them, some came out of my then-previous computer.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I bought everything at once but from different companies (New Egg NCIX ect) 

At once.

I cant use the parts till I have them all.

And once I have the money for them all the overall price is lower and I can test them within the return period.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I kind of did both. I got the "important" parts from a store. I first got my processor, RAM, power supply, case(returned, got a new one from the internet due to size). Then I got my hard drive and the case from newegg and Amazon. Later I bought a graphics card and then upgraded RAM.(Graphics from a store, RAM from Newegg)

Got everything in one shot. I personally do not see the point to buy parts and let them sit on my desk. And If I cannot buy all at once, I would buy all the essential components first to at least have a machine, even if it on stock  cooler and on onboard graphic.

at once, its better that way, less risk or something happening just having parts laying around waiting for them to be put together (like boxes getting stepped on) 

and usally if you have to wait by the time you can buy it all there will be sales or price drops. so it can save you money

Bought it all at once.  

Prices fluctuate too much in all stores to stress about finding the best deal.  Just do your shopping and get it over with.  And recognize now that you'll probably see the same parts cheaper later. Just get over it and be happy with your computer and not the $10 you might have saved waiting three weeks, or the $20 waiting four weeks... etc.. etc...

28 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

Bought it all at once.  

Prices fluctuate too much in all stores to stress about finding the best deal.  Just do your shopping and get it over with.  And recognize now that you'll probably see the same parts cheaper later. Just get over it and be happy with your computer and not the $10 you might have saved waiting three weeks, or the $20 waiting four weeks... etc.. etc...

Thats the problem though, prices fluctuate a tonne outside the us.  In canada a decent z170 mobo is 250+

The Black Friday Rig: 

[PCPartPicker part list](https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/QyvH8K)
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor] | $280.00 
**CPU Cooler** | [Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler] | $19.99 
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-Z170X-GAMING 6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard] | $175.00 
**Memory** | [Kingston FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory] | $94.99 
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LE 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive] | $85.99 
**Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive] | $64.00 
**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card] | $319.99 
**Case** | [Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case] | $89.00 
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CXM 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply] | $84.99 
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]| $109.00 
 | *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |
 | **Total** | **$1322.95**
 | Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-11-27 18:34 EST-0500 |

1 minute ago, CeremonialSnips said:

Thats the problem though, prices fluctuate a tonne outside the us.  In canada a decent z170 mobo is 250+

So?  What are you going to do about it?  Keep waiting for a price drop? How long?  You could wait forever with that mentality.  

Prices fluctuate in the US, too, you know.  I bought a wifi adapter last month.  Two days later the price went up $15 from $35.  

Check pcpartpicker and see how low the price was compared to the lowest price recorded. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

The vast majority I will buy altogether. The case, I can buy before the rest of the system like I did a long time ago.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

`Well, the first which I was picking was custom prebuild (2002). Second I bought all at once from two shops (2008).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Mine was piece-meal. I almost do a tick-tock approach; platform, GPU, platform, GPU with random bits in-between.

My very first PC was bought from my brother-in-law stupidly cheap. I can't even remember what the platform was because I accidentally fried them when I tried to re-case the thing (first ever tinker) so I kept the HDD and GPU (Asus GTS 450) and bought a new platform (AMD FX-4170) with an AIO cooler. I then got enough money together to swap the GTS 450 for a Powercolor HD 7870 PCS+. After that I picked up a Blu-Ray Drive and an SSD. I've recently swapped out my case, motherboard and CPU for an mITX SFF Xeon E3-1231 v3 based rig. My next upgrade will be the GPU.

PC components become redundant far too quickly. I saved up and bought all at the same time.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

I just recently completed my first build not to long ago. I took a couple of days and searched the interweb to find the best deals and would keep track of the best prices. From there I spent one day and just bought everything I thought I needed at that time. Waited a few weeks and they all turned up. This worked out great for me other than the fact my mobo was DOA. And then I proceeded to ship back the screws that came with my case thinking they came with my mobo but anyways.... i had to buy more case screws :( 

So basically do whatever you want. if you want to hunt around for better deals and take a longer time to gather all the parts do that. If you are itching to get to building just spend an afternoon and buy them all then and just pay a couple hundred more.

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

I bought mine all together, not gradually.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

All at once, the 30 day return period in Canada is very important to pay attention to. You have to know each and every single pc of your stuff works.

Sure you can do RMA with the manufacturers but I personally cannot wait for weeks without my computer.

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

Both? Does both count?

My girlfriend wanted a gaming computer when her laptop died, so she and I built a PC with an upgrade path. When her laptop died, the Pentium Anniversary Edition had just came out; MicroCenter had a deal bundling it with a good Z97 board from MSI for like $100, so we snagged it and a Hyper 212 EVO. The GPU was a 750 ti, the HDD was a 1TB WD Blue, the PSU was a Corsair RM650 they had on clearance for some reason, and the case was some crap Zalman box that we essentially got for free after all the various rebates.

Over the two or so years we've had it, every single piece has been replaced as things went on sale and our pool of spending cash has gone up. Ironically the case was the first thing to go, replaced within two months by a Corsair 400R. (My girlfriend's password was F*ckZalman for the longest time after the nightmare of working within that case.) The Pentium became an i5 4690k, the 212 EVO became a H100i, the RAM went from 4gb to 8gb to 16gb, the 750ti became a 970, the HDD was supplanted by a Samsung 850 EVO (though is still part of the rig), the PSU became a modular 750W, and finally the motherboard was replaced when the case was replaced again, this time by an Asrock Z97 ITX and a Corsair Air 240, respectively.

Best part? All the retired parts still live on as our "guest PC" and media center. The Pentium was finally replaced by another 4690k (from my personal rig), meaning we have a guest gaming computer stronger than many of our friends' primary computers. 

So yeah. Both.

Couldn't afford everything at once so I got the case, psu, motherboard, cpu, ram and ssd first. Then a few months afterwards two hdds, gpu and an aio cooler. 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W