Good CPU Under $200 in Australia

I upgrading an old PC from 2007 to be my first gaming rig on a very tight budget. I simply cannot afford an SSD, because I'm a cheapskate. (I'm not that fussy about storage speeds  though) As you'd expect, the video card is a bottleneck. But no! My CPU is even worse. Looked up the socket, last CPUs for it appeared about 2010. Luckily it has a mid tower and 2 1200 Watt PSUs, so I can stick anything I like in it.

Preferably AMD, they don't include integrated GPU stuff like intel, which is another thing I don't wanna pay for.

wait... midtower and 2x 1200 watt psu...

what the hell kind of system is that?

(AKA list specs plz :P)

Intel Xeons don't include an iGPU aswell.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

wait... midtower and 2x 1200 watt psu...

what the hell kind of system is that?

do you know who is austin evans?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

do you know who is austin evans?

yes, why?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

yes, why?

Scrapyard wars 3 reference.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

yes, why?

this is why

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Scrapyard wars 3 reference.

but those were two chinesium bricks, not two 1200 watt beasts.

all i can imagine OP has on his hands is some ancient super high power server, afaik they dont even make midtowers that fit two power supplies :/

EDIT: @Moonzy

On the subject:

The best CPU in 'Straya for 200$ is an FX 8320.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

but those were two chinesium bricks, not two 1200 watt beasts.

all i can imagine OP has on his hands is some ancient super high power server, afaik they dont even make midtowers that fit two power supplies :/

EDIT: @Moonzy

doesnt matter, had two psu in(on) his rig

anyway #offtopic

@BristolBrick, provide us your full system spec in pcpartpicker.com and we'll see how it goes from there

since you cant just swap out a cpu to one that uses an entirely different socket

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

doesnt matter, had two psu in(on) his rig

the reason it matters is because austin bodged the crap out of his midtower to fit two power supplies "inside"

not something someone with 2x 1200 watts will do, so i have the feeling OP has something he probably doesnt realise himself.

the mix of 2x 1200 watts, $200, and OP seemingly having no idea what he's doing (along with the computer's age) makes me think OP has got an old server on his hand.

besides, we cant really recommend anything unless we know the meat and potatoes of this rig.

Oh sorry! Typo! 2 600 watts. 1200 total. My bad.

My theory that AMD's stuff is cheaper seems to be correct. I picked out an i5 from last year and found a slightly better AMD CPU for about $100 less on ebay.

Anyway, specs for current machine are:

-4GB DD2 memory

-Single 465GB HDD

-NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS

-antec p180 case

-Asus p5k motherboard

-E 6850 @ 3.00 Ghz

Yeah, it was my dad's old work PC. It had a (for the time - I think) good CPU because he needed it to dive two thirty inch monitors.

Oh, should have mentioned I'm going to replace the motherboard too. Not too fussy about the CPU, my current can't run GTA V on minimum settings.

You know you're going to have to replace that DDR2 as well, right? Plus your 8800 GTS is pretty much the bare minimum.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

11 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

I know. I'm just eliminating the narrowest bottlenecks first.

What's your budget? You have to get new DDR3 RAM as well...if it's 200AUD then...may be a tad hard to to that...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

4 minutes ago, BristolBrick said:

No. That's just my CPU budget.

well, that system is gonna pretty much fall under what i prefer to call "toss out the window and buy a new one"

most of the components you listed are pretty dang dated, and honestly, even if you'd get a new processor that 8800GT is still gonna be *hilareous*

it'd better be you go in from the idea of building a new rig and using some of the old parts, rather than upgrading this machine.

brings us to the question: what'd be your total budget?

1 hour ago, BristolBrick said:

I upgrading an old PC from 2007 to be my first gaming rig on a very tight budget. I simply cannot afford an SSD, because I'm a cheapskate. (I'm not that fussy about storage speeds  though) As you'd expect, the video card is a bottleneck. But no! My CPU is even worse. Looked up the socket, last CPUs for it appeared about 2010. Luckily it has a mid tower and 2 1200 Watt PSUs, so I can stick anything I like in it.

Preferably AMD, they don't include integrated GPU stuff like intel, which is another thing I don't wanna pay for.

Better for gaming than AMD's 2011-2012 FX series: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/intel-s1151-core-i3-6100-3.7ghz-dual-core-cpu-pn-bx80662i36100 

Save an extra $65 and you could get an i5 6400.

1 hour ago, Djole123 said:

On the subject:

The best CPU in 'Straya for 200$ is an FX 8320.

Ahh no, no its not. http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts/cpus

Factor in more expensive mob+aftermarket cooling as well......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Better for gaming than AMD's 2011-2012 FX series: http://www.computeralliance.com.au/intel-s1151-core-i3-6100-3.7ghz-dual-core-cpu-pn-bx80662i36100 

Save an extra $65 and you could get an i5 6400.

debatable, but in the majority of the games on the market right now, yes.

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Factor in more expensive mob+aftermarket cooling as well......

that's actually a REALLY good argument against the FX series, because they do truly shine in overclocking. (an FX9590 can compare itself to an i7 4770 in highly multithreaded workloads)

you'd need to factor in the cost of getting a nice cooler and motherboard with VRMs to power the world tho.

Just now, manikyath said:

that's actually a REALLY good argument against the FX series, because they do truly shine in overclocking. (an FX9590 can compare itself to an i7 4770 in highly multithreaded workloads)

you'd need to factor in the cost of getting a nice cooler and motherboard with VRMs to power the world tho.

My problems with the FX series and the decisions around it:

• CMT should have been kept for servers, not used as the base architecture for consumer grade CPU
  • AMD should have done a 22nm/20nm die shrink to increase performance a bit+decrease power consumption and decrease the cost of manufacturing the FX series
  • Excavator is where they should have started
  • My i5 4440 with its speed at 3.3GHz due to turbo boost, is faster single threaded than a 5.3GHz FX 8350
  • At 4.8GHz my 4790K utterly wrecks FX 9590 while only running on an Asus H87M Pro with a $55 AUD Seidon 120V and consuming less than half of the power

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

My problems with the FX series and the decisions around it:

• CMT should have been kept for servers, not used as the base architecture for consumer grade CPU
  • AMD should have done a 22nm/20nm die shrink to increase performance a bit+decrease power consumption and decrease the cost of manufacturing the FX series
  • Excavator is where they should have started
  • My i5 4440 with its speed at 3.3GHz due to turbo boost, is faster single threaded than a 5.3GHz FX 8350
  • At 4.8GHz my 4790K utterly wrecks FX 9590 while only running on an Asus H87M Pro with a $55 AUD Seidon 120V and consuming less than half of the power

key words in my post you overlooked: i7 4770, multithreaded workloads, me agreeing on the cost thing.

and really, when the fx chips launched they actually did pretty well compared to intel, its just that they havent been updated since...