Tech Shopping Around the World - Switzerland

Amazon: 

NCIX: 

At LMG we travel quite a bit, and we notice some very interesting trends around technology in different regions. Here is our recap of tech shopping in Switzerland.

Well interesting video to say the least. I have yet to see something unique like this. 

15 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Great

Try India next

Are you from India?

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

Nice video. A few suggestions for future episodes. 

1. Before the trip choose a part or series of parts you are likely to find (6700K or K70 RGB) and record the price in your local Canadian currency. Then compare that to the part in the foreign country at a similar store (Best Buy vs Media Markt). Then compare the prices by doing a currency conversion to see where you are getting a better deal and by how much.  - The build log I am working on and will be coming as soon as my custom cables arrive from CableMod tries to break down the cost of buying and building a machine in Japan vs USA. 

2. Find out what challenges people have in the country you are going to when it comes to sourcing parts and how they overcome the problem. For example, living in Japan finding an English Language keyboard is NEARLY impossible and when they can be found the prices are very very high. Same thing for an English copy of Windows 10...most stores have Japanese versions only and an English Language version is usually marked up quite a bit. 

3. In addition to big box stores like the one you visited, try to find out if there are any smaller local shops that people might use to source parts for the PC/DIY.

I like the idea of this series as it's fun to see what the consumer experience is in other places. Keep up the good work.

浪速の建てるは静か用に建てました!- Build Log Coming Soon!

Nice video. Now my only question is what did you do otherwise in Switzerland 

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

No

Just want to see his reaction to the prices there

Yes. The prices here in India are way high compared to any other country. 

CPU:Intel Core i3 3210 Mobo:MSI B75MA-E33  GPU:Intel 2500 HD Graphics  SSD:Adata SP600 128gb  HDD:Seagate 1tb 7200rpm  

PSU:Corsair CX430   Case:Antec ASK4000bU3  Monitor:Dell S2240l 21.5 inch 1080p

Hope you'll visit Finland some day ! :D

Hell , Ill even give you a free ride ( with my crappy volvo v40 ofc..... )

(⌐■_■) 

This is like Linus shopping at the Taiwan square, this was an interesting video. 

Damn Switzerland, you expensive.

We went for a trip from Australia over Christmas/January this year, and were blown away by how expensive EVERYTHING was there.

We were completely floored by the price of food (we went to Italy first, and food is cheap as chips there) so really not surprised at how expensive the tech is....

It's always interesting to see videos about your home country and what foreigners think about it.

1 hour ago, shanmu54321 said:

How much does an gtx 960 costs in india? Last month i've paid about US$310 on my EVGA 960 2GB here in Brazil.

They should come here in the olympics. We usually just buy computer parts online but here in Rio there's a building called Edificio Avenida Central that has about 200 little stores, similar to that mall Linus went in Taiwan. You can find quite cheap stuff there compared to some other stores.

Fun segment :) Definitely keep doing this stuff, its really fun to see.

It's funny that you mentioned mechanical keyboards though. If the Mediamarkt in Switzerland has the same products as we have here,which is likely,

It doesn't have those (or maybe 1 by accident) on display. They just have those flashy gaming keyboards. Your point still stands for a lot of other stuff though, like gaming mice.

Mediamarkt is great for consumer electronics. A lot of the computer peripherals you can buy there are like one or two years on the market already though, so real enthousiast buy online. If you think the pre-made computers are bad, check the graphic cards they have there next time. You should :P 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

If you ever decide to visit Finland, I can work as your guide.

I know all of the Finland's major hardware and tech stores.

They are mostly out of Helsinki/Vaasa (if those are the ones where your flight stops at) so using a train or busses is too expensive to get around.

So if you want a guide and cheaper way to get around, I'm always free. :P

Linus visited my country Singapore while on holiday with his wife and to visit his wife relatives here

Because of the poor wifi signal in the house

he went to our local PC and electronics haunt Sim Lim Square to buy the Access point

he was in for a shock at the prices we paid for PC stuffs as well

When you guys only pay for 650 bucks for the 980Ti

We lads need to pay double that price to get the same product.

Same goes for the AMD Fury X

one Fury X will cost us 1K while it going for like 500+ with rebates

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

40 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

Linus visited my country Singapore while on holiday with his wife and to visit his wife relatives here

Because of the poor wifi signal in the house

he went to our local PC and electronics haunt Sim Lim Square to buy the Access point

he was in for a shock at the prices we paid for PC stuffs as well

When you guys only pay for 650 bucks for the 980Ti

We lads need to pay double that price to get the same product.

Same goes for the AMD Fury X

one Fury X will cost us 1K while it going for like 500+ with rebates

How the hell is everything there so expensive?! I mean what factors bloat these prices to double.

3 hours ago, shanmu54321 said:

Yeah.

And LMG please visit India.

This was nice. We have the same thing in Denmark. A website called edbpriser.dk where you can buy everything IT related. And every item is listed with the price of the cheapest dealer. You can even see the price development over the past weeks. It's pretty cool and makes it super easy to navigate the ocean of internet shops.

Brazil awaits you, @LinusTech. We and our 470 USD / 620 CAD Gtx 970 would love to hang around with y'all.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The prices in Ireland are pretty bad... €350/$392 for and MSI R9 390 and in the US it's around €285/$320... :'(

That website looked sketchy as F%$#!

Its kind-of how I feel about PC Part Picker. I know the website is (relatively) safe, but both of these sites look like they would steal my credit card.  

6 hours ago, Markmjb said:

It's funny that you mentioned mechanical leopards though. If the Mediamarkt in Switzerland has the same products as we have here,which is likely,

It doesn't have those (or maybe 1 by accident) on display. They just have those flashy gaming leopards. Your point still stands for a lot of other stuff though, like gaming mice.

The major issue for keyboard in Switzerland is we use our own version of the German layout. On a small market, it's not really worth it to put something that the average user will not really care for.

Mediamarkt has a couple Logitech one (as its a Swiss company, it's good they offer a Swiss layout) and a Corsair one if I recall correctly. But yeah, most of the keyboard available in store or online for gaming are flashy gaming one.

11 hours ago, Markmjb said:

It's funny that you mentioned mechanical keyboards though. If the Mediamarkt in Switzerland has the same products as we have here,which is likely,

It doesn't have those (or maybe 1 by accident) on display. They just have those flashy gaming keyboards. Your point still stands for a lot of other stuff though, like gaming mice.

Mediamarkt is great for consumer electronics. A lot of the computer peripherals you can buy there are like one or two years on the market already though, so real enthousiast buy online. If you think the pre-made computers are bad, check the graphic cards they have there next time. You should :P 

he also mentioned "one day shipping".

It's quite standard over here to recieve your product within one day...

EDIT: I realized he said: the same day as you order it. That is not standard. But it is possible at some stores.