Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SmirG3l

Windows 10 sends screenshots every X minute to Microsoft

Posted · Original PosterOP

I saw a tweet this tweet at twitter today where a russian guy with translation text shows in video how windows 10 is taking screenshot every X minute and sending it to microsoft. Of course his running it from VM and he apparently decodes few screenshots that windows 10 took while he was installing and shows them. I think this would need more evidence or investigating to proof this? that's my opinion but it's certainly interesting..at least the guy presents how to do it on the video and evidence of it..

Windows 10 taking screenshots video

1 minute ago, SmirG3l said:

I saw a tweet this tweet at twitter today where a russian guy with translation text shows in video how windows 10 is taking screenshot every X minute and sending it to microsoft. Of course his running it from VM and he apparently decodes few screenshots that windows 10 took while he was installing and shows them. I think this would need more evidence or investigating to proof this? that's my opinion but it's certainly interesting..at least the guy presents how to do it on the video and evidence of it..

Windows 10 taking screenshots video

ummm..no

and anyone who says diff is a moron

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Also that's in Russia. Who knows what kinds of deals lord Putin worked out with Microcock for spying reasons.

I used to have guides here

CPU: 4670k 4.4ghz GPU: GTX 970 G.1 1534mhz

The insider preview sends way more data to microsoft for obvious reasons like beta testing considering its their beta program, this does't say anything about retail release.

1 hour ago, Arokhantos said:

The insider preview sends way more data to microsoft for obvious reasons like beta testing considering its their beta program, this does't say anything about retail release.

But the real question is how do you know the official release doesnt send screenshots as well?

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, deviant88 said:

But the real question is how do you know the official release doesnt send screenshots as well?

Kinda why I said in my first post that investigation would be needed..

nothing to worry about, screenshots don't have valuable info, plus i'm sure every other company does it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

56 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

nothing to worry about, screenshots don't have valuable info, plus i'm sure every other company does it

ALL your data appears on your screen else you could not interact with it as a human.

3 hours ago, XORYOUYOU said:

ALL your data appears on your screen else you could not interact with it as a human.

i'm sure it's nothing personal, no one put personal stuff on their screens, if they do and don't want them screen shotted they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'm sure it's nothing personal, no one put personal stuff on their screens, if they do and don't want them they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with

Ever opened an email, visited a webpage, written a document on your PC?  Well then it was on your screen ;)

Seems so pointless, MS can't afford to manually check every single screenshot from every computer every x minutes and there are better ways to collect private data if they must.

<Make me a sandwich.> <No! Make it yourself!> <Sudo make me a sandwich.> <FINE.> What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D  CoC F.A.Q Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'm sure it's nothing personal, no one put personal stuff on their screens, if they do and don't want them they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with

You forgot the /s.

Poe's law is real.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's the insider version and I have so far not seen anything like this in the consumer version.

OMG! The beta version of a software has features to help developer produce a better product! What is this world coming to???

All aboard the Floatplane!

Gaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Flare X 32GB (16GBx2) | NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB FE | Fractal Design Node 202 | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD

Streaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Aegis X 8GB (4GBx2) | ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 | Fractal Design Node 202 | Mushkin Enhanced Source 500GB M.2 SSD

Daily Driver: ODroid H2 | Intel Celeron J4105 | G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (8GBx2) | HardKernel Type 2 Case | Intel SSD 600p 128GB NVMe SSD

3 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

Well i have something to say about retail release! I never ever press print screen so when it takes a screen shot every hour then i'm fucking mad.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

Samsung Galaxy S8 Exynos variant (Late 2018 - present) | Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 2016 Edition (Late 2018 - present) | Lenovo Thinkpad T480 i7-8550U with UHD 620 Graphics (Mid 2018 - present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2019 - present) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD (2018), Seagate BarraCuda 1TB HDD (2014), NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

First -> Insider Preview, so the only conclusion to draw from this is "we should take a look at official releases". 

Secondly -> Please don't make this a news story before it is investigated enough. We don't need more stuff that falsely scares people from Windows 10

Edit:
Oh, and this is also an old insider build, 10525 (10586 is latest official). So must be checked on newer builds too. 

Core i7 4770k @4.4Ghz    Corsair H100i with Noctua NF-F12 x2      ASUS Z87-DELUXE       Kingston HyperX 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11 @2400MHz      ASUS ROG 1080TI Strix    

Corsair AX 860i     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB       Seagate Barracuda 2TB       Hitachi 4TB       WD Caviar Green 4TB       Seagate Ironwolf 10TB NAS  

Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync       LG M2352D 23" 1080P TV       LG C8 55" UHD TVIro   HAF X       Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum      Logitech MX Vertical      Corsair HS70      Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah would like to hear more about it, when it's investigated enough though. For retail released with new build and all. Would be good to see someone do a video about it with networking tools to show traffic that happens in background.

I have a hard time imagining that official releases do the same thing. Would truly have to make me wonder how MS is able to keep up with receiving all those screenshots and such...

Just have meatspin run 24/7 and they'll stop taking screenshot of your computer. Lol

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So a guy in Russia tweeted a video from some no-name video hosting site about how an old build of the Insider Preview for Windows 10 takes screenshots, the video isn't in english either. Pretty reliable source if I do say so myself.

Red pill or Blue pill?
I don't feel like putting my system specs in here if you want them take a look at my profile page.

33 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

I have a hard time imagining that official releases do the same thing. Would truly have to make me wonder how MS is able to keep up with receiving all those screenshots and such...

Microsoft has massive data centers. If Google can process 300 hours of video every minute, then I am fairly sure Microsoft could process the screenshots.

36 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah would like to hear more about it, when it's investigated enough though. For retail released with new build and all. Would be good to see someone do a video about it with networking tools to show traffic that happens in background.

I've been planning to do that actually. Currently installing Windows 10 in a VM so that I can hopefully log traffic. I tried doing it locally on my laptop, but Microsoft has implemented "security features" which makes it so that some programs can't send traffic to localhost or proxies, which means you can't log stuff as easily.

3 hours ago, XORYOUYOU said:

Ever opened an email, visited a webpage, written a document on your PC?  Well then it was on your screen ;)

well you got nothing to hide unless your already doing something fishy, witch you should stop doing it right now

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You forgot the /s.

Poe's law is real.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's the insider version and I have so far not seen anything like this in the consumer version.

i know, i'm doing it on purpose. Always wanted to see how it's like to be in the MS defence force