Windows 10 sends screenshots every X minute to Microsoft

I saw a tweet this tweet at twitter today where a russian guy with translation text shows in video how windows 10 is taking screenshot every X minute and sending it to microsoft. Of course his running it from VM and he apparently decodes few screenshots that windows 10 took while he was installing and shows them. I think this would need more evidence or investigating to proof this? that's my opinion but it's certainly interesting..at least the guy presents how to do it on the video and evidence of it..

Windows 10 taking screenshots video

1 minute ago, SmirG3l said:

I saw a tweet this tweet at twitter today where a russian guy with translation text shows in video how windows 10 is taking screenshot every X minute and sending it to microsoft. Of course his running it from VM and he apparently decodes few screenshots that windows 10 took while he was installing and shows them. I think this would need more evidence or investigating to proof this? that's my opinion but it's certainly interesting..at least the guy presents how to do it on the video and evidence of it..

Windows 10 taking screenshots video

ummm..no

and anyone who says diff is a moron

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Also that's in Russia. Who knows what kinds of deals lord Putin worked out with Microcock for spying reasons.

ASU

1 hour ago, Arokhantos said:

The insider preview sends way more data to microsoft for obvious reasons like beta testing considering its their beta program, this does't say anything about retail release.

But the real question is how do you know the official release doesnt send screenshots as well?

1 minute ago, deviant88 said:

But the real question is how do you know the official release doesnt send screenshots as well?

Kinda why I said in my first post that investigation would be needed..

nothing to worry about, screenshots don't have valuable info, plus i'm sure every other company does it

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

56 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

nothing to worry about, screenshots don't have valuable info, plus i'm sure every other company does it

ALL your data appears on your screen else you could not interact with it as a human.

3 hours ago, XORYOUYOU said:

ALL your data appears on your screen else you could not interact with it as a human.

i'm sure it's nothing personal, no one put personal stuff on their screens, if they do and don't want them screen shotted they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'm sure it's nothing personal, no one put personal stuff on their screens, if they do and don't want them they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with

Ever opened an email, visited a webpage, written a document on your PC?  Well then it was on your screen ;)

Seems so pointless, MS can't afford to manually check every single screenshot from every computer every x minutes and there are better ways to collect private data if they must.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

God damn it, people need to stop with this W10 privacy shit. Yeah, it sends data to Microsoft, but no, it doesn't send your freaking personal stuff. Also good find on that Insiders Preview watermark guys.

29 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'm sure it's nothing personal, no one put personal stuff on their screens, if they do and don't want them they shouldn't be on the internet to begin with

You forgot the /s.

Poe's law is real.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's the insider version and I have so far not seen anything like this in the consumer version.

OMG! The beta version of a software has features to help developer produce a better product! What is this world coming to???

-KuJoe

My Bullshit-O-Meter is going nuts.

3 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

The insider preview sends way more data to microsoft for obvious reasons like beta testing considering its their beta program, this does't say anything about retail release.

Well i have something to say about retail release! I never ever press print screen so when it takes a screen shot every hour then i'm fucking mad.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

First -> Insider Preview, so the only conclusion to draw from this is "we should take a look at official releases". 

Secondly -> Please don't make this a news story before it is investigated enough. We don't need more stuff that falsely scares people from Windows 10

Edit:
Oh, and this is also an old insider build, 10525 (10586 is latest official). So must be checked on newer builds too. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah would like to hear more about it, when it's investigated enough though. For retail released with new build and all. Would be good to see someone do a video about it with networking tools to show traffic that happens in background.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I have a hard time imagining that official releases do the same thing. Would truly have to make me wonder how MS is able to keep up with receiving all those screenshots and such...

Just have meatspin run 24/7 and they'll stop taking screenshot of your computer. Lol

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So a guy in Russia tweeted a video from some no-name video hosting site about how an old build of the Insider Preview for Windows 10 takes screenshots, the video isn't in english either. Pretty reliable source if I do say so myself.

33 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

I have a hard time imagining that official releases do the same thing. Would truly have to make me wonder how MS is able to keep up with receiving all those screenshots and such...

Microsoft has massive data centers. If Google can process 300 hours of video every minute, then I am fairly sure Microsoft could process the screenshots.

36 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah would like to hear more about it, when it's investigated enough though. For retail released with new build and all. Would be good to see someone do a video about it with networking tools to show traffic that happens in background.

I've been planning to do that actually. Currently installing Windows 10 in a VM so that I can hopefully log traffic. I tried doing it locally on my laptop, but Microsoft has implemented "security features" which makes it so that some programs can't send traffic to localhost or proxies, which means you can't log stuff as easily.

3 hours ago, XORYOUYOU said:

Ever opened an email, visited a webpage, written a document on your PC?  Well then it was on your screen ;)

well you got nothing to hide unless your already doing something fishy, witch you should stop doing it right now

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

You forgot the /s.

Poe's law is real.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's the insider version and I have so far not seen anything like this in the consumer version.

i know, i'm doing it on purpose. Always wanted to see how it's like to be in the MS defence force

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I've been planning to do that actually. Currently installing Windows 10 in a VM so that I can hopefully log traffic. I tried doing it locally on my laptop, but Microsoft has implemented "security features" which makes it so that some programs can't send traffic to localhost or proxies, which means you can't log stuff as easily.

Ahh, yeah try it in VR for sure and let us know :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Yummychickenblue said:

So a guy in Russia tweeted a video from some no-name video hosting site about how an old build of the Insider Preview for Windows 10 takes screenshots, the video isn't in english either. Pretty reliable source if I do say so myself.