AMD's Volcanic Islands to be Called Radeon R-200

Well thats crap, really like calling them '9970 or 9950' so much better then R9 290

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Well thats crap, really like calling them '9970 or 9950' so much better then R9 290

Nothing's changed, call it the 9290.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Nothing's changed, call it the 9290.

Still dont like it, just sounds like a low end card now

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

So the R9's are high end, the R8's are mid an 7's are low end

AMD FX 8350, ASUS GTX 770 DirectCUII, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0, CORSAIR TX 750, CORSAIR VEANGENCE BLACK 8GB'S 1600Mhz, Hyper 212 evo, Aerocool Strike-X GT, Crucial M4 128GB SSD, Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Asus CrapReader 

I really hope that this will not be a paper launch, hoping for widespread availability of both high end and mid range cards.

So the R9's are high end, the R8's are mid an 7's are low end

Yes, according to Tom.

lol they keep changing the naming 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I guess we'll have to get used to it, they would have had to break their current 4 digit numbering scheme in the generation after this.

Still why did they put the generation number as the second number, doesn't it always make more sense to have that as the first number? They could have started as R2 990, R2 985, R2 980, R2 875, R2 870 etc. we'll still have to get used to the last two digits (after all those don't make an sense in the current scheme other than coming after each other) but it makes more sense this way.

This is a confusing naming scheme if they were to go through with it.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

It sounds confusing, but I'm still waiting for them to officially release the new naming scheme (and hopefully explain it slightly) before actually getting annoyed. Of course, based on this they've got quite a big job on their hands...

how is this confusing, much better in my opinion. R9 is high end, R8 is mid and R7 is low. Basically the same as now, just that the categorization is simpler.

So lemme get this straight, they have the GPU tier number (high-end, midrange, etc) twice, and different numbers each time? 

Like this:

R{GPU tier} -space- {generation}{GPU tier}{GPU level in that tier}

That seems to be a waste of time and space. When you say you have an R9 285, you'd be saying that you have a R-highest-end tier, Generation 2, highest-end tier again, with the higher-end card in that tier.. If you have an R8 270, you'd then be saying you have a R-second level, Generation 2, second level, with the base card.

It seems simpler to just knock off that first number, and just call your highest end card the R285, because that number would tell you the exact same information without telling you the same thing twice in two different ways.

I have the feeling that explaining this to non-techies is going to be a pain in the 'arse'..

(oh well, I guess it gives us more stories for that thread, !!yaY)

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

So lemme get this straight, they have the GPU tier number (high-end, midrange, etc) twice, and different numbers each time? 

Like this:

R{GPU tier} -space- {generation}{GPU tier}{GPU level in that tier}

Narh, its R(GPU tier) (generation)(level)

Doesn't seem that intuitive but they're kinda out of options as it stands. The last 3 digits essentially give you all the information anyway.

They are doin this to unify their namin scheme. APUs are the A-6 A-8 and A-10s Now Radeon are R-9 R-8 etc. 

So;

1. 9990 is 290

2. 9900 is 280

3. 9800 is 270

4. 9700 is 260

etc. etc.

Very confusing to most, it would make more sense if 9800 is 380 because of the 9800, for example.

Meh, I think that they are just preparing for the "10XXX" because that would look kind of weird e.g. 10990

"No signature"

should be the r(Generation)-(Teir)(subteir)

ex: the 9950 would be the R9-950, and the 9870 would be the R9-870, so when we get the next gen, it's r10-970