4K, Ultra wide, or 144hz? Do I even want G-Sync?

NeedMoDro

I got a 27" 4k Samsung for xmas but it has problems so I'm returning it for something else. I really enjoy how crisp and sharp 4k is, and I almost don't notice that I can't crank up AA on some games.

I have 2x 980 SLI and a 4790k stock. Depending on the game I can run pretty good settings at 4k but would rather not have to worry about fps drops(has been a problem) and like to use all the fancy gfx features I can.

I work from home on the computer and play various types of games, not "competitive", and love eye candy. I use other monitors as well for work and multitasking, they will stick around regardless of what I decide to buy.

I really like the 34" ultra wide 3440x1440 class and think it would be great for work and games. But I am also afraid I'm gonna hate anything but 4k now that I've been using it for 3 weeks. I'm also looking at 2560x1440 @ 144hz as that seems to be the standard and good middle ground. And I'm not sure how much I'll benefit from 144hz.

My budget is $750 - $1000, preferably on the lower side. I could rant on and on about all the various options but I'll try to boil it down....

• Basically, how much am I gaining at various resolutions by not having to use v-sync with a g-sync capable display?
  • I really want 3440x1440, do you think I'll have similar issues to 4k without g-sync? Or should I be ok to crank the settings because of the lower resolution?
  • Do you think a better 4k display w/g-sync would be beneficial? It is more affordable than a 3440x1440 w/g-sync. This would be 2nd choice if it improves things significantly over 4k without g-sync.
  • The 35" ultra wide 2560 x 1080p displays are also an option, but I worry about the lower res, and really don't think I need 144hz. They also seem overpriced to me, although I do love this format.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post and asking the same questions that probably get asked 10x a day, lol.

4k is amazing, personally i find 4k monitors to be amazing looking while 144hz monitors are great but i find not as much as a difference between 60hz

If you are a hard core cod player then go with the higher hz, if you are for scenery and want the most realistic looking quality go for 4k

4k is amazing, personally i find 4k monitors to be amazing looking while 144hz monitors are great but i find not as much as a difference between 60hz

If you are a hard core cod player then go with the higher hz, if you are for scenery and want the most realistic looking quality go for 4k

More Hertz means smoother gameplay so there is a big difference between 60Hz and 144Hz.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U3415W-34-Inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B00R420VAG/

They're really good. I'd get one of those if I had the money

i second that because i'm using it right now.

Quite a bit of lightbleed but you don't really notice it when you don't want to notice it.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

144Hz if you are a car or FPS gamer

Well 4k is 4k, all your text will look small, but if you can run your game at 4k then it will look better than 1440p.

21:9 screen are good for car games and most movies, not that great for FPS games since you will most likely get black bars on the sides

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

G-sync is nice if you play under the monitor refresh rat,e or if your game dips 10-20fps sometimes.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

i second that because i'm using it right now.

Quite a bit of lightbleed but you don't really notice it when you don't want to notice it.

tbf they all use the same panels as each other so they probably all have equivalent levels of light bleed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U3415W-34-Inch-IPS-Monitor/dp/B00R420VAG/

They're really good. I'd get one of those if I had the money

Lol. I just got home from Micro Center where I looked at these exact 2 displays. Hard to tell without gaming but I can definitely see the benefit to 144hz AND the ultra wide. Still undecided.

Lol. I just got home from Micro Center where I looked at these exact 2 displays. Hard to tell without gaming but I can definitely see the benefit to 144hz AND the ultra wide. Still undecided.

144Hz will look better if you play games like BF, CS and car games the ultrawide will be better if you watch alot of movies + some games does not support 21:9 and some games will look odd in 21:9, but some games will look really cool in 21:9 (car games mostly)

144Hz will look better if you play games like BF, CS and car games the ultrawide will be better if you watch alot of movies + some games does not support 21:9 and some games will look odd in 21:9, but some games will look really cool in 21:9 (car games mostly)

Yea, I play fps games, many of my favs are FPS, but I'm not hardcore online csgo or battlefield, more single player sometimes online. Most recently I've played Battlefront(on PS4), Fallout 4, ESO, and HOTS. Also been trying to get into Elite Dangerous in prep for VR. I plan on playing all the space flight games once I get a Rift/Vive. And realize they lend well 21:9 too but yea.

Been off of PC gaming for a while actually, but recently getting back into it and re dedicating myself to speeding more time playing and less binge watching tv shows. I kinda lurch from game to game across a lot of genres.

The 144hz looked smoother just moving windows around, so that says to me it would give you that effect across all games, not just twitchy fps games right?

The one thing I really want to know(and I think I can do some testing on) is if I were to have a GSYNC 4K would it eliminate some of the performance issues I'm seeing?

I know this is an often misunderstood topic and please tell me if I'm wrong.... In theory if I'm seeing drops that are unpleasant to me with Vsync on currently then having g sync would look better when it does drop but also actually increase fps performance over all? I guess the question is how much? I'm going to try to test this by just turning vsync off as is, but the tearing is gonna throw off my judgment.

I'm just so indecisive when it comes to this stuff, lol.

Yea, I play fps games, many of my favs are FPS, but I'm not hardcore online csgo or battlefield, more single player sometimes online. Most recently I've played Battlefront(on PS4), Fallout 4, ESO, and HOTS. Also been trying to get into Elite Dangerous in prep for VR. I plan on playing all the space flight games once I get a Rift/Vive. And realize they lend well 21:9 too but yea.

Been off of PC gaming for a while actually, but recently getting back into it and re dedicating myself to speeding more time playing and less binge watching tv shows. I kinda lurch from game to game across a lot of genres.

The 144hz looked smoother just moving windows around, so that says to me it would give you that effect across all games, not just twitchy fps games right?

The one thing I really want to know(and I think I can do some testing on) is if I were to have a GSYNC 4K would it eliminate some of the performance issues I'm seeing?

I know this is an often misunderstood topic and please tell me if I'm wrong.... In theory if I'm seeing drops that are unpleasant to me with Vsync on currently then having g sync would look better when it does drop but also actually increase fps performance over all? I guess the question is how much? I'm going to try to test this by just turning vsync off as is, but the tearing is gonna throw off my judgment.

I'm just so indecisive when it comes to this stuff, lol.

G-sync will not give you more fps, and a 4k panel is much harder to drive than a 1440p panel, but the 1440p 144Hz you really need to push 100+ fps 99% of the time if you wan't that smooth feel and that might end in you lowering your setting, I am not sure that 2x 980 will be able to push 4k at good setting in all games. V-sync gives you a little delay, so if you play like csgo or bf that delay can mean life or death sometimes, I never turn on V-sync I just set my gpu to push 60fps out in the game and turn that V-sync badness off. And yes of course 60hz with g-sync will look at little more smooth than 60Hz no g-sync 

G-sync will not give you more fps, and a 4k panel is much harder to drive than a 1440p panel, but the 1440p 144Hz you really need to push 100+ fps 99% of the time if you wan't that smooth feel and that might end in you lowering your setting, I am not sure that 2x 980 will be able to push 4k at good setting in all games. V-sync gives you a little delay, so if you play like csgo or bf that delay can mean life or death sometimes, I never turn on V-sync I just set my gpu to push 60fps out in the game and turn that V-sync badness off. And yes of course 60hz with g-sync will look at little more smooth than 60Hz no g-sync 

OK. Well. I've decided to go down to 1440. And think I'm gonna forgo the Ultrawide in favor of 144hz. I have several other displays for productivity and can upgrade them eventually if needed.

Now I'm just wondering, do I get one expensive one and add it to my others, or get 3 cheap ones all matching and replace everything. lol.

SO.... Mainly worried about quality control..... Do I go with one of these or look for a similar Dell or LG without GSYNC?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0173PEX20/ref=psdc_1292115011_t2_B00MSOND8C

OR

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PG278Q-27-Inch-G-SYNC-Monitor/dp/B00MSOND8C/

OR

http://www.amazon.com/SWIFT-PG279Q-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/

For me I am down to choose between xb271hu or the x34 both acer predator series. Sigh. And here you finally decide on thr 144hz max 165hz panel over the ultrawide 100hz panel?

OK. Well. I've decided to go down to 1440. And think I'm gonna forgo the Ultrawide in favor of 144hz. I have several other displays for productivity and can upgrade them eventually if needed.

Now I'm just wondering, do I get one expensive one and add it to my others, or get 3 cheap ones all matching and replace everything. lol.

Asus has the better screens than acer if you ask me.

For me I am down to choose between xb271hu or the x34 both acer predator series. Sigh. And here you finally decide on thr 144hz max 165hz panel over the ultrawide 100hz panel?

Well, I wouldn't go with the x34 as Amazon is only selling though 3rd party, newegg isn't selling it at all, and it was recalled from stores.

But correct, at first I was in love with ultra wide then my practical side plus testing in games on this 60hz 4k. Once I was thinking about it, I could really see where the 144hz would come into play. Which is mainly when you move your mouse around a lot, lol.

And I decided I'd rather be able to crank the settings and have a really smooth image. It's sort of like an SOE effect but not uncomfortable or jarring because it's in a 3d environment where you don't expect the "cinematic" look from 2d content.

On that note, I am actually currently able to rock really high settings and stay solid 60 on 4k, but not always and I just don't wanna have to fiddle with shit to crank out the pixels fast enough.

So yea, boxed up my 4k samsung for return to amazon and hooked my gen1 3d vis monitor.

At first I didn't notice a dif in windows on 120 vs 60 but I think something was wrong. Because I disabled my other displays and noticed it was set back to 60 so I set it to 120 again and windows seems smoother than on 60 for sure.

I ran a game and right away noticed the clarity difference. It looks like 4k without AA is better than 1080p with AA. And I am noticing the higher frame rate slightly but its not as dramatic as the res difference.

I'm obviously gonna reserve judgment until I get my new one but I'm sort of worried I'll end up wanting to go back to 4k. I can always return again I suppose, lol.

ANYWAY, I have a 271HU on pre-order with Amazon. Fingers crossed I get a good one, and that I am satisfied with it over 4k.

So yea, boxed up my 4k samsung for return to amazon and hooked my gen1 3d vis monitor.

At first I didn't notice a dif in windows on 120 vs 60 but I think something was wrong. Because I disabled my other displays and noticed it was set back to 60 so I set it to 120 again and windows seems smoother than on 60 for sure.

I ran a game and right away noticed the clarity difference. It looks like 4k without AA is better than 1080p with AA. And I am noticing the higher frame rate slightly but its not as dramatic as the res difference.

I'm obviously gonna reserve judgment until I get my new one but I'm sort of worried I'll end up wanting to go back to 4k. I can always return again I suppose, lol.

ANYWAY, I have a 271HU on pre-order with Amazon. Fingers crossed I get a good one, and that I am satisfied with it over 4k.

Well if you where going from 1080 to 1440p you would see a big difference in res.

Well if you where going from 1080 to 1440p you would see a big difference in res.

Right, I was just saying, and this is all obvious, but I noticed a huge diff going form 4k to 1080. I'm hoping that the 1440 is "better enough" for me. ;-)

@NeedMoDro

I miss 144Hz. So much, in fact, that I put my old Asus 1080p 144 back on the desk last week for a day to game. Then, going immediately back from 144Hz to 60Hz felt like watching a slideshow. There's def a trade-off, but my Samsung 4K is on my desk now. I'm hoping to see 120Hz plus 4K with DP 1.3 on the new cards coming this year. Def not gonna buy a 1440p 144/165hz.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

No its dead so many more free sync options available. What you want is new Pascal cards to support free sync and g sync if necessary.

@NeedMoDro

I miss 144Hz. So much, in fact, that I put my old Asus 1080p 144 back on the desk last week for a day to game. Then, going immediately back from 144Hz to 60Hz felt like watching a slideshow. There's def a trade-off, but my Samsung 4K is on my desk now. I'm hoping to see 120Hz plus 4K with DP 1.3 on the new cards coming this year. Def not gonna buy a 1440p 144/165hz.

Samsung UE590 by chance? Shipped mine back today. I had terrible BLB and flicker issues.

As for waiting it out, I probably wont get new cards for a year or more. And I've never really had a good display. I'd rather get more monitor at a lower res for the same money, if that makes sense. I think the 1440 144 ips a good choice for me at this time.

No its dead so many more free sync options available. What you want is new Pascal cards to support free sync and g sync if necessary.

I can't seem to find any info on them supporting freesync.