Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Ah yes, Kailh. Honestly it's not worth spending $120+ if it has Kailh.

It's 130 GBP which is 170 dollers the Corsair K95 is about 200 pounds though

18 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Masterkeys Pro L, FC980M, Ducky Shine 4 ,Ducky one full size?

No dedicated macro keys on any of em unfortunatley

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

It's 130 GBP which is 170 dollers the Corsair K95 is about 200 pounds though

Corsair does have Cherry switches right?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Bouzoo said:

Corsair does have Cherry switches right?

Yeah it does, but i'm not sure i can justify spending 200 pounds on a keyboard

That feeling when the very first post in this thread has your keyboard in it.  Damn I was late to the Filco party.

On 10/19/2017 at 8:57 AM, TheresaS179 said:

I have a Corsair K70 backlit RGB Rapidfire Mechanical Keyboard, with Cherry MX Speed switches. I generally like the keyboard, but I am having some predictable trouble adjusting to the delicate touch and I frequently activate adjacent keys accidentally. Especially annoying when entering passwords that you can't see. I think the full 4mm throw tends to cause my fingers to nudge the adjacent key just enough to activate it. If I limited the travel to just enough to activate it, with a soft bottom, I think it should help. I think a thick soft o-ring might also help me adjust to the short travel till activation.

According to the LTT review of MX Keyswitches, the Speed variety has a very short 1.2mm travel till activation, and 4.0mm total travel. Based on that I was thinking a 2.5mm to 2.8mm thick o-ring with a soft durometer of 40A-L might be a good solution?

I'm confused by specs of the o-rings I'm seeing at WASD and in discussions here that discuss 0.2mm and 0.4mm which would be EXTREMELY thin if it is a measure of the total thickness, about the thickness of a business card, roughly on the order of 1/100th of an inch! Could this actually be a measure of how much they COMPRESS in normal usage, rather than their actual thickness? Looking at the pictures of these o-rings, there is NO WAY they look this thin!

Any suggestions, clarifications, or recommendations are much appreciated. I wouldn't say cost is no object, but I'm willing to spend what it takes to get the right parts. 

Thanks! Cheers!

Hm, I would've suggested putting something inside the switch, but that would require you to desolder all switches on the board.

The WASD rings are indeed quite thin because they are mainly for dampening the bottom hit, not travel reduction. 0.2mm are about 7.9mil and 0.4mm are about 15.7mil, so like 8/100ths and 16/100ths of an inch.

You don't have to search on WASD for O-rings though, you can also just google the specs you need. Keycap stems are a touch above 5.5mm in diameter, so O-rings with inner diameter of 5mm should work.

Is the corsair k70 lux RGB worth it?

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

5 hours ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

Is the corsair k70 lux RGB worth it?

That depends. I personally prefer ducky boards to anything that Corsair or any of the other gaming companies make. But, if you're already using the Corsair RGB software, you might as well stick with it, so you won't have to install more software (though ducky boards don't use any software - you customize the colors through an interface on the board)

Also, it's still a keyboard. It won't feel any different from any other board that has the same switches. As such, it's up to you if the additional features are worth it to you or not.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I have a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma Mechanical Keyboard. Nonetheless, I am a huge fan of Razer and their products. I was debating about getting a Cherry MX Red Corsair Mechanical Keyboard (Maybe in the near future I will). But I like Razer more, just for now. I know there are better keyboards out there for all of us Computer enthusiasts nerds, but it's my personal preference. 

4 hours ago, ImmortalCreed said:

I have a Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma Mechanical Keyboard. Nonetheless, I am a huge fan of Razer and their products. I was debating about getting a Cherry MX Red Corsair Mechanical Keyboard (Maybe in the near future I will). But I like Razer more, just for now. I know there are better keyboards out there for all of us Computer enthusiasts nerds, but it's my personal preference. 

*gag*

I hate MX Reds to no end. Razer keyboards are fine, but MX Reds? I'd rather use a membrane keyboard.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

i've had high end stuff die on me before 

this is a brief history of me and keyboards (since i came back in gaming late 2015ish)

logitech g105s (got bored)-->steelseries apex m800 (randon keys wont work , traded in )-->razer blackwidowa chroma (keys sucked ass ,so sold off)--> corsair k95 RGB(MX blue, later RMA ed to MX browns)-->brings back g105s for 2ary setup(dies)-->quickfire rapid (mx browns,dies within a week )-->cashback +1k from my pocket gets k70 rapidfire 

what am i doing wrong and i just cant break the cheap aass logitech wireless kb in my living room setup but highend gaming kbs and me=DEATH

9 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

*gag*

I hate MX Reds to no end. Razer keyboards are fine, but MX Reds? I'd rather use a membrane keyboard.

There's nothing wrong with someone having a different preference than you. Also, there's quite a large variance in different batches of switches - when did you try reds and on what board(s)?

2 hours ago, Scitesh said:

i've had high end stuff die on me before 

this is a brief history of me and keyboards (since i came back in gaming late 2015ish)

logitech g105s (got bored)-->steelseries apex m800 (randon keys wont work , traded in )-->razer blackwidowa chroma (keys sucked ass ,so sold off)--> corsair k95 RGB(MX blue, later RMA ed to MX browns)-->brings back g105s for 2ary setup(dies)-->quickfire rapid (mx browns,dies within a week )-->cashback +1k from my pocket gets k70 rapidfire 

what am i doing wrong and i just cant break the cheap aass logitech wireless kb in my living room setup but highend gaming kbs and me=DEATH

How rough are you on your keyboard? Also, Corsair, SteelSeries, Razer and all of the other "gaming" brands are usually lower quality boards. I'm not surprised you haven't had one that lasts. Try picking something up from Ducky, Filco, Cooler Master (their boards are built by costar or Filco, I forget which, so they're actually higher quality than other options), or some other brand. Or, build your own!

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

45 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

There's nothing wrong with someone having a different preference than you. Also, there's quite a large variance in different batches of switches - when did you try reds and on what board(s)?

I wasn't calling him wrong, I was just stating my opinion. I tried it on some Corsair keyboards.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 14/11/2017 at 3:51 PM, iFreilicht said:

Hm, I would've suggested putting something inside the switch, but that would require you to desolder all switches on the board.

The WASD rings are indeed quite thin because they are mainly for dampening the bottom hit, not travel reduction. 0.2mm are about 7.9mil and 0.4mm are about 15.7mil, so like 8/100ths and 16/100ths of an inch.

You don't have to search on WASD for O-rings though, you can also just google the specs you need. Keycap stems are a touch above 5.5mm in diameter, so O-rings with inner diameter of 5mm should work.

I wouldn't advise taking a K70 apart; they're not designed to be taken apart and as such you cannot do it without breaking some of the trim (to be precise, it's a piece next to the volume wheel you need to remove to get at a screw underneath; never seen anyone do that without cracking it in half).

19 hours ago, KaminKevCrew said:

. Or, build your own!

Sounds fun but how

And btw both my corsair boards are working f9 for now

On 11/17/2017 at 11:03 AM, Sir_Loin_Ofsteak said:

I wouldn't advise taking a K70 apart; they're not designed to be taken apart and as such you cannot do it without breaking some of the trim (to be precise, it's a piece next to the volume wheel you need to remove to get at a screw underneath; never seen anyone do that without cracking it in half).

Oh that sounds even worse than I imagined.

I also found these "landing pads". I think if @TheresaS179 got something like that, but made from acrylic or metal, she'd get the desired effect. Should be relatively simple to draw something up in inkscape and send it to ponoko for laser cutting.

Just a few hours ago i bought my first mechanical keyboard, it's a factory refurbish K70 Rapidfire, around 50 pounds off (about $65), lets hope it's not money down the drain when it arrive tomorrow

On 1/3/2013 at 3:52 AM, ACK said:

Nice Idea to create a thread for mechanical keyboards.

I believe it might be possible to have Linus or Slick create a sub forum for mechanical keyboard related discussion since they both are great fans of mechanical keyboards.

I am mostly a Cherry MX blue guy and I have a Das Keyboard Proffessional.

I'm more an MX brown guy - I'm typing this on a K70RGB with vortex ptb keycaps which I got from machanicalkeyboards.com and 70a o rings (which I will be swapping out for GMKQMX sound dampening brackets which I bought from massdrop as soon as they arrive)

On 11/17/2017 at 8:10 AM, Scitesh said:

Sounds fun but how

You can get all the parts you need for a custom keyboard from US sites like Mechanicalkeyboards.com, or from Chinese sites like Aliexpress.com (If you want a greater variety and lower pricing, go to aliexpress)

As for what parts you'll need, the bare minimum would be a PCB, case, and switches, though you'll also need a soldering iron and some solder/flux to actually assemble the thing. There are several guides online for how to do it, if you need one. 

If you want a real challenge, you could grab a Teensy 2.0 and wire/program your own board, though you'll need a plate cut for that.

There are also interesting alternative layout keyboards, like the Ergodox, or anything from OLKB, etc.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

On 11/17/2017 at 9:10 AM, Scitesh said:

Sounds fun but how

You will need to order a PCB, switches, a switch plate, stabilizers for the longer keys, a case and keycaps.

Here's a build log I did for my GH60. https://imgur.com/gallery/G9KnU

On 11/21/2017 at 6:13 PM, Tcrumpen said:

Just a few hours ago i bought my first mechanical keyboard, it's a factory refurbish K70 Rapidfire, around 50 pounds off (about $65), lets hope it's not money down the drain when it arrive tomorrow

Word of advice - you will initially want to press the keys a lot harder that actually necessary - 

When I first got mine - after using a K70 Vengence with Cherry reds I was pushing they keys down hard and my fingers were getting a bit tire and tender at the fingertips because of the excessive pressure - after a few days it became a lot more comfortable - 

the Rapidfire keys a more responsive than any other key switches I've felt so far - and I don't mean the travel distance - it feels like the internal spring and mechanism is more responsive - 

give it a few days to get used to the feel of the new keys and you'll fall in love 

After having used the Rapidfire for a year and other keyswitch feels like damp newspaper

I7 8700K - 4.7 OC , Asrock Z370 Extreme4 MB, MSI GTX 970 ,  NZXT H440 , Corsair H110 , 16gig Balistix ram  , Razer Huntsman Elite - Razer Purple Opto-Mechanical Key Switches  -   , Logitech G502 , Samsung 850 Pro bootup drive, Antec Edge 750 modular PSU

I'm currently running a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2016 edition(equivalent to MX blues), but I have my eyes on a Bloody B820 LK with red switches. I gotta have that laser response time... :)

2 hours ago, georgevar59 said:

Word of advice - you will initially want to press the keys a lot harder that actually necessary - 

When I first got mine - after using a K70 Vengence with Cherry reds I was pushing they keys down hard and my fingers were getting a bit tire and tender at the fingertips because of the excessive pressure - after a few days it became a lot more comfortable - 

the Rapidfire keys a more responsive than any other key switches I've felt so far - and I don't mean the travel distance - it feels like the internal spring and mechanism is more responsive - 

give it a few days to get used to the feel of the new keys and you'll fall in love 

After having used the Rapidfire for a year and other keyswitch feels like damp newspaper

I've noticed that i keep double or triple pressing the 'o' and 'a' keys, it's really annoying; although part of me thinks that as it's a refurbish that it might be a problem with a keyboard but then i tell myself these switches activate at 1.2mm so it's hardly gonna be the hardware, for gaming i'm already not pushing them down all the way, however for typing i'm still doing that