Geek Squad is trying to replace my working Dell XPS 17

Bob

I recently took my Dell XPS 17 to the geek squad so the battery could be replaced. It has been about two weeks and today they called me saying it is going to have to be replaced. Does anybody have an idea as to why they want to replace my working laptop? I am going to try and get it back from them but I need some advice from people with a similar experience. 

Didn't you ask them why yourself when they said it was going to be replaced?

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Geek Squad only wants your money. But if this is true it might be a voltage regulator or something in that criteria

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

To get more money out of you.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

If there's nothing wrong with it except for the battery, it's not something I would do. Very sketchy. As others have said, Geek Squad wants your moneys.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They most likely broke it

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

probably to make money they might think you know nothing about pcs so they will do whatever they can to make more money off you, that's what my experience with pc stores is like anyway my mum took a laptop to a local store to replace the battery instead they "cleaned it out" and charged her £40 for it then said it'll be another £40 for the battery 

| 3570k @ 4.4.ghz | Hyper 212 evo | 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte Z77X UD3H | Corsair CX750M | Corsair 300R | OCZ 240GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD | Asus DCUII 7950 @1150mhz core 1600mhz mem

| BenQ XL2411T | Corsair Vengeance K60 | Logitech G700 | steelseries Qck+ | Fiio E10 | Zalman clip on mic | HD 598 | ATH-M50 |

They most likely broke it

Or maybe "broke" it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I agree with most posts here.Please dont trust geek squad because they will scam u if they can.

scam, either they broke it or they're trying to make money.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

This is my Father's laptop that He bought as a replacement to the one we had before. The battery was working when I took it there just not really holding a charge. They did not give a reason other than "this product can not be fixed". 

I took the second HDD out before taking it in because I kinda worried about this. I really don't know what the issue is. 

Geek Squad is likely scamming you. Good thing you took out the hard drive.

I am trying to get it back, I know how to repair it as I have replaced the thermal paste and cleaned out the dust before. I just hope they will be able to give it back and it not be broken. 

the battery is user replaceable so why did you go to the geek squad to get it replaced? because they only support the dell systems that they Cary.

when asking on which you NLE shud use to edit video I will tell you to get avid and an mac. life is easy when it just works.

the battery is user replaceable so why did you go to the geek squad to get it replaced? because they only support the dell systems that they Cary.

My dad insisted that we take it there because it had a warranty. 

Either there's something else going wrong that you don't know about, the geek squad techs did a sloppy diagnosis on the laptop, or they're genuinely trying to rip you off. I'd say it's the first or the second, because they're a for profit company, and ripping off their customers isn't going to help them retain a customer base. The third is unlikely, imo, although what others have said makes some sense in that context since GSP is only valid on a single computer (excluding tech support and antivirus, which would carry over) and a new one would require another plan.

I know there is nothing wrong with the laptop, I have looked at it before and there is no issue. I think they just don't want to replace the battery but they might have just broken it. 

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense :\ They could replace the battery, but they're insisting on replacing the whole thing, which is more costly? Again, they're a for-profit company, so it doesn't make sense financially for them to side-step changing out the battery for an entire laptop replacement.

It's possible that they might have broken/damaged it, or you could've missed something.

I am 100% sure there is nothing wrong with it, it was working just fine except for the battery. 

Just out of curiosity, are you sure it was the battery? Did you test it with another computer to see if it was holding a charge on its own? It sounds entirely possible to me that the laptop itself wasn't charging the battery like it should've been, which would warrant a full replacement by GSP T&C (assuming your dad got it, since you only mentioned a warranty earlier in the thread and didn't specify what kind it was).

If it is under GSP, I don't get the fuss here. A full replacement is free under that plan, so it's not like they're trying to get you to buy another laptop.