Why can't I breach 60Hz on my 75Hz monitor?

STRMfrmXMN
Go to solution Solved by Subnormyle,

What resolution are you trying to hit 75Hz with? Are you trying to hit 75Hz native or OC?

The chart at section 3.4 in the manual for your monitor shows 60hz for 1920x1080.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD%20Monitors/ASUS_VS228VS238VS247-P_English.rar

I have an ASUS VS228H-P and supposedly it can run at 75 Hz. I was wondering why every application I've used (games and Windows) only let me hit 60Hz. I haven't seen anything within the settings of this monitor limiting it. Is it because I'm on DVI Single Link? Would I get 75Hz from HDMI? Would it get me 75Hz on DVI Dual Link?

AMD Catalyst Control Center says both my monitors are 75Hz (my other Dell is 60Hz) hence I don't quite trust it, though maybe there's something I'm missing. I'm on an ASUS 7770 GHz.

Thanks.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

What does windows tell you about the refresh rate ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What does windows tell you about the refresh rate ?

Check in Windows if it's set to 60Hz?

Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings -> Monitor

I check in advanced settings and it says it's a Generic PnP monitor and it won't go above 60Hz. Asus spec says it's 75Hz

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/VS228HP/specifications/

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I check in advanced settings and it says it's a Generic PnP monitor and it won't go above 60Hz. Asus spec says it's 75Hz

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial_Monitors_Projectors/VS228HP/specifications/

You know you can install the driver.

What like worries me is that they use ~ not - and as far as I know ~ if used for approximation but you can like OC your monitor to 75Hz

@STRMfrmXMN

Single DVI is supposed to lie have 1920 × 1200 at 60 Hz max.

@STRMfrmXMN

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You know you can install the driver.

What like worries me is that they use ~ not - and as far as I know ~ if used for approximation but you can like OC your monitor to 75Hz

@STRMfrmXMN

Single DVI is supposed to lie have 1920 × 1200 at 60 Hz max.

@STRMfrmXMN

Ah ok. Well I'm on HDMI for the fun of it and get get it to go full 1080p. Gonna reinstall drivers and see if I get 75Hz on it :)

Ah ok. Well I'm on HDMI for the fun of it and get get it to go full 1080p. Gonna reinstall drivers and see if I get 75Hz on it :)

HDMI isn't working out for some reason....

Might order a DVI Dual link, would just want to make sure it would solve the 60Hz problem before I spend money on a cable... :/

Single link dvi is your bottleneck. It can do 75hz at 1280x1024 max. Use dp or hdmi if availible.

HDMI just stuck my monitor into a rectangle in the middle of the screen with about 200 pixels missing all around. Reinstall AMD stuff and restarted lots, couldn't get it full screened... not sure what that was about. So do you think DVI Dual Link will solve the problem?

What resolution are you trying to hit 75Hz with? Are you trying to hit 75Hz native or OC?

The chart at section 3.4 in the manual for your monitor shows 60hz for 1920x1080.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD%20Monitors/ASUS_VS228VS238VS247-P_English.rar

I'm going at native 1920*1080. It's kind of weird that they would advertise it as a 75Hz monitor when it can only hit that at 800*600 and 1280*1024...

I'm going at native 1920*1080. It's kind of weird that they would advertise it as a 75Hz monitor when it can only hit that at 800*600 and 1280*1024...

The monitor only hits 75Hz below 1080p? That's extremely odd considering my 1024X768 LCD monitor works at 85Hz all the way up to and including 1440x1050 (yeah....its actually got nothing to tell Windows what the maximum resolution or refresh rate is).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think that's was they use ~.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Its a marketing gimick. Unfortunatley they didn't lie, they just don't tell the entire truth.

The monitor only hits 75Hz below 1080p? That's extremely odd considering my 1024X768 LCD monitor works at 85Hz all the way up to and including 1440x1050 (yeah....its actually got nothing to tell Windows what the maximum resolution or refresh rate is).

I think that's was they use ~.

I was hoping that it wasn't the ~ things that cesrai was talking about... but yeah, apparently this is what it's stuck with... 

refresh.png

Its a marketing gimick. Unfortunatley they didn't lie, they just don't tell the entire truth.

Well that sucks....

Thanks for the help all :)

This.

Mine is a 60hz 1080p panel, Windows/Catalyst control panel says it supports 75hz.. well YES.. it does, only at 1366x768 or lower :(

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

HDMI isn't working out for some reason....

Might order a DVI Dual link, would just want to make sure it would solve the 60Hz problem before I spend money on a cable... :/

should solve your issue, and if not it's handy to have one around.

Normally certain Monitors come with one but I guess it's only on 120/144+ Monitors only.

should solve your issue, and if bots it's handy to have one around.

Normally certain MO items come with one but I guess it's only on 120/144+ Monitors only.

I already got my answer above but thanks :) I canceled the order for the dual link since I have a few DVI cables, just not any that are Dual link. 

I've just remembered that I can run my screen (1080p,60Hz stock) at 74Hz over HDMi with my GTX 970, and trying any refresh rate above 60Hz on DVI causes screen corruption.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL