AMD Withdraw KitGuru's Fury X Sample over "negative stance towards AMD" (Updated with response from AMD)

VMaxMuffin

Anyone else starting to feel like tech news is suffering from the 24 hour news cycle problem? Not enough news to fill up their pages and youtube channels, so everything devolves into speculation and vague statements. Or hate fuled rants about some random thing.

Just seems like the more and more i check the news page here its slowly creaping up from being mostly news and cool tech articles to being 70-80% rumors about whatever new things will come out (intel cpu, amd cpu, nvidia graphics, amd graphics) or some company said something stupid and now everyone piles on the bandwagon against them (3.5gb, amd rebrands, ubisoft anything, EA anything).

Just feels like big tech websites dont have enough to post, so they are padding their post count with meaningless noise that people are getting riled up on.

Whatever happened to "Lets wait and see what the product actually does"?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

First, if you read the page from clicking the link in the OP, the KitGuru one, and then read ALL of the comments on that site, you will see few siding with KitGuru. Apparently, just from reading all the comments on their own page, KitGuru is being called on the carpet by READERS about how biased they are in their reviews, in favor of Nvidia.  Just go read 'em yourself.

Next, this particular thread, here on Linus Tech Tips, is almost the complete opposite - what appears to my eyes (I'm new to all this) is that this site has aggregated a ton of, (what's the term I see thrown around so much?) Nvidia fanboys (yes, fanboys, that's the word) who stop at nothing to throw sludge at AMD.  If I could see all their faces, I suspect that 95% of them must be under the age of 16.

Lastly, I have not yet bought a video card for either of the two super desktops I built this past year, with killer specs, hoping to see which card would emerge with the best value for me as I begin to take an interest in gaming.  All of my need for current power (CPU, RAM, and SSD) is music recording - DAW software.  By reading all the hatred of AMD by people on Linus Tech Tips (and there is a LOT of it), I gotta tell ya, it's made me feel like AMD is the underdog and I'm certainly pulling for them.

I'm ready to buy two Fury X cards tonight, if for no other reason than to show my support.

https://youtu.be/KoQenR-rE3I?t=1m25s

If we become unable to share our genuine views and opinions out of fear of a company withdrawing product samples then I see no point in being here at all.

*cough* apple *cough*

It's pretty bad if the situation really is as it seems, but I guess with limited samples they have to prioritize those who are more likely to give a positive opinion.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Next, this particular thread, here on Linus Tech Tips, is almost the complete opposite - what appears to my eyes (I'm new to all this) is that this site has aggregated a ton of, (what's the term I see thrown around so much?) Nvidia fanboys (yes, fanboys, that's the word) who stop at nothing to throw sludge at AMD.  If I could see all their faces, I know that 95% of them must be under the age of 16.

Lastly, I have not yet bought a video card for either of the two super desktops I built this past year, with killer specs, hoping to see which card would emerge with the best value for me as I begin to take an interest in gaming.  All of my need for current power (CPU, RAM, and SSD) is music recording - DAW software.  By reading all the hatred of AMD by people on Linus Tech Tips (and there is a LOT of it), I gotta tell ya, it's made me feel like AMD is the underdog and I'm certainly pulling for them.

I'm ready to buy two Fury X cards tonight, if for no other reason than to show my support.

The average age and knowledge levels have been dropping as the PC has become less of a niche and more mainstream and the user count grows. Tech sites are now dime a dozen whereas 10 years ago there were fewer sites with fewer members. Nvidia draws in more of the newcomers and owns a vast majority of the market share. Newcomers listen to lots of drivel and tend to repeat it without understanding what they are talking about.

Basically, stereotypes have formed about AMD GPU's, a very frequent one is the ol' " AMD drivers suck"

Easy to debunk yet once people form opinions...

I'll use the 7870 as example: At launch, the GTX 580 was 3% faster than the 7870 @1080p without AA: http://www.computerbase.de/2012-03/test-amd-radeon-hd-7870-und-hd-7850/5/

In 2015, the 7870 is 30% faster than the GTX 580 @1080p without AA: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/17-grafikkarten-von-amd-und-nvidia-im-vergleich/2/#abschnitt_leistungsratings_spiele

Back on topic, the PR damage has been done, I don't think it will be easy to remove this blemish for AMD. Regardless of how trustworthy kitguru is, reserving a review sample only to cancel it with conspicuous timing with Leo's video was a situation AMD should have avoided.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Tech of tomorrow, another YouTuber :)

Is there a specific video?  Their videos aren't short and I don't wanna scroll through hours of footage :D

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Pffff LOL

Butt-hurt much AMD?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Meanwhile AFAIK Linus has not received AMD samples in a while now and I don't see him bitching about it and writing articles and videos about it. AMD might be crap at PR and marketing sure, but throwing a tantrum about it only makes you look bad instead of AMD

-------

Current Rig

-------

Anyone else starting to feel like tech news is suffering from the 24 hour news cycle problem? Not enough news to fill up their pages and youtube channels, so everything devolves into speculation and vague statements. Or hate fuled rants about some random thing.

Just seems like the more and more i check the news page here its slowly creaping up from being mostly news and cool tech articles to being 70-80% rumors about whatever new things will come out (intel cpu, amd cpu, nvidia graphics, amd graphics) or some company said something stupid and now everyone piles on the bandwagon against them (3.5gb, amd rebrands, ubisoft anything, EA anything).

Just feels like big tech websites dont have enough to post, so they are padding their post count with meaningless noise that people are getting riled up on.

Whatever happened to "Lets wait and see what the product actually does"?

You make very good points: youtubers and reviewers really do need to take clues from LMG in putting their eggs on more than one basket instead of resorting to this kind of view bait behavior.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Meanwhile AFAIK Linus has not received AMD samples in a while now and I don't see him bitching about it and writing articles and videos about it. AMD might be crap at PR and marketing sure, but throwing a tantrum about it only makes you look bad instead of AMD

Got to explain the lack of content somehow. This was done rather politely in my opinion. AMD's response was obviously copy-pasted by some lawyer.

AMD.....did they not think this would look bad on their part? Just makes them look as childish as Apple about PR.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

But here is the thing. Linus wasn't promised one in the first place nor was he assured that one would arrive. 

Kit Guru was given an allocation, said things that painted AMD in a not so nice way, and then AMD cried like a baby and took their ball home. THAT is the issue. AMD seems happy to talk shit about other brands yet can't handle getting it in return, especially if its fair. 

Where is the integrity and ethics in that? AMD only giving their Fury to publications that WILL say nice things? This is no better than Apple going after sites for not being nice to them, or blocking them from attending their events if they aren't favourable. Where is the similar outrage? AMD is trying so hard to only get positive news on this release of GPUs and they're going to some pretty shady lengths to ensure it. 

The double standards around this site are amazing. What AMD has done is ethically wrong. How can you remotely defend it? Its pathetic behaviour that AMD can't handle a company not being nice to them. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

I generally like kitguru. The way they give their personal opinion on things at the end of articles, is a nice way to be more objective in the main article.

However, with the video they made criticizing AMD for holding a private show, for team red plus members, who had helped AMD; stating that AMD would not give review samples, and generally said AMD where horrible for consumers, they really brought this on themselves.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Got to explain the lack of content somehow. This was done rather politely in my opinion. AMD's response was obviously copy-pasted by some lawyer.

AMD.....did they not think this would look bad on their part? Just makes them look as childish as Apple about PR.

Linus addressed it in just a couple of tweets and WAN show comments along with thanking Austin for lending him his 295 for that video. That's about what you should expect.

On AMD's side they really can't go into details without giving foot to even more drama. Think about it what can they say?

-"We just don't have enough cards" OMG AMD can't launch, Fiji shortages confirmed, they suck!

-"You're not big enough" OMG AMD only cares about big reviewing venues they can buy, they suck!

-"Honestly we forgot about you" as above

-"We're trying a different marketing strategy" OMG AMD wants to hide crap performance, they suck!

Judging from the usual 40+ fucking pages of trolling responses on each AMD thread there really is no comment, truthful or not, that can help their cause.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You make very good points: youtubers and reviewers really do need to take clues from LMG in putting their eggs on more than one basket instead of resorting to this kind of view bait behavior.

Agreed, but i think that the consumers (us) could do a lot to fix this as well. People in the forums need to stick to facts instead of speculation, and not pounce on every rumor and bandwagon that comes by. The reason why these news outlets have started doing this is because they realize that people fall for it. We just have to rise above that petty shit and try to show the companies that we will not be dragged down.

Lets be frank, the people on this forum are generally more educated about the industry than the general population. If a good portion of this site starts bandwagoning, thats a bad sign for the community as a whole. Just remember that all these people (news sites or companies) want to sell you something, doesnt matter if its their product, or their opinion.

EDIT: and i will say that LMG's videos i totally dont feel fall into the bandwagon bating status. most of them are pretty objective and are far less click-bait-y. I think this is just because they are no where near out of material between all their channels. Why resort to trying to rile up the community when they have actual stuff to talk about?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

it has nothing to do with it "just being AMD"

I'm just fucking tired of listening to them cry over everything and playing the victim and I would no matter who the brand wasy

Are you tired of hearing review sites cry and play the victum card for not getting early card access?  I doubt it, but that's exactly what people have done.

The cards will be available to literally everyone once they launch, they are free to get their hands on a card then.  As for the charge that specific reviewers being able to review a card pre launch is some sacred duty (particularly reviewers from sites suspected of a pro nvidia / anti amd slant) needed to protect the public from getting in trouble with their purchases.

Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware

Anyone who shells out hundreds of dollars for a product with no actual performance information and knowledge deserves what they get.  People are not mental cripples, they are not forced to buy a damn thing day one, they can wait for reviews if needed, though I don't think that wait will be needed, the reviews will simply be seeded into more neutral parties that are less likely to shit on amd products.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

But here is the thing. Linus wasn't promised one in the first place nor was he assured that one would arrive. 

Kit Guru was given an allocation, said things that painted AMD in a not so nice way, and then AMD cried like a baby and took their ball home. THAT is the issue. AMD seems happy to talk shit about other brands yet can't handle getting it in return, especially if its fair. 

Where is the integrity and ethics in that? AMD only giving their Fury to publications that WILL say nice things? This is no better than Apple going after sites for not being nice to them, or blocking them from attending their events if they aren't favourable. Where is the similar outrage? AMD is trying so hard to only get positive news on this release of GPUs and they're going to some pretty shady lengths to ensure it. 

The double standards around this site are amazing. What AMD has done is ethically wrong. How can you remotely defend it? Its pathetic behaviour that AMD can't handle a company not being nice to them. 

You make some valid points true, so please read my above response: there really is nothing they can say as to the reason that wouldn't hurt them. Sometimes you really out to adhere to the 5th and not self-incriminate. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Anytime a news outlet is upset because, they where placed behind paying customers. Only show the contempt news sites have for its readers and consumers. Stating they are doing this in the consumers best interest. When they are only doing this for themselves to get clicks.  

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

Agreed. Still, AMD made a bad move here, if the person in charge had thought this through, she would have had to realize no good would come from this reaction.

Back at presentation, I think Leo was frustrated with being so close to the card and being denied access has inspired him to shoot that editorial.

AMD only giving their Fury to publications that WILL say nice things? This is no better than Apple going after sites for not being nice to them, or blocking them from attending their events if they aren't favourable. Where is the similar outrage? AMD is trying so hard to only get positive news on this release of GPUs and they're going to some pretty shady lengths to ensure it. 

AMD has no guarantee that the publications that do receive samples will in fact "say nice things".

Cherry picking benchmarks is one thing, cherry picking reviewers is another thing entirely. That's a move no legit business can afford. There is no conspiracy to force media to be positive about the GPU's. Had Leo uploaded the video another day, the sample would have been on the way to the "negative" kitguru.

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

Agreed, but i think that the consumers (us) could do a lot to fix this as well. People in the forums need to stick to facts instead of speculation, and not pounce on every rumor and bandwagon that comes by. The reason why these news outlets have started doing this is because they realize that people fall for it. We just have to rise above that petty shit and try to show the companies that we will not be dragged down.

Lets be frank, the people on this forum are generally more educated about the industry than the general population. If a good portion of this site starts bandwagoning, thats a bad sign for the community as a whole. Just remember that all these people (news sites or companies) want to sell you something, doesnt matter if its their product, or their opinion.

EDIT: and i will say that LMG's videos i totally dont feel fall into the bandwagon bating status. most of them are pretty objective and are far less click-bait-y. I think this is just because they are no where near out of material between all their channels. Why resort to trying to rile up the community when they have actual stuff to talk about?

And even then people have been doing a poor job: on most 390x threads I had to continually point out how the test results had admitted inconsistencies and glaring reviewer omissions: OC3D failed to mention the really unfair price point of the card vs the 290x and most people just posted how the 390x was better based on the Hardware Cannucks review even when they themselves point out that they compared, very unfavoreable, with a reference 290x we all know was a botched, throttling card instead of looking at aftermarket 290x cards that actually give virtually the same performance. This to me says it might as well be the same chip and all the advantages are 99% from very good vendor coolers and not the architecture itself which remains basically unchanged.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Is there a specific video?  Their videos aren't short and I don't wanna scroll through hours of footage :D

It was the latest one AMD @ E3, I think it was bout 1/3 of the way in:

He then goes on to say as long as you add value its OK... but the 370 is a 265 (without free sync support 8o)... and still harps on about the 4gb thing, its the sort of thing you see in the school yard when someone with nothing going for them needs a pick me up and starts picking on someone who's doing better than them to make themselves feel better... at least that's how it comes across to me.

Agreed. Still, AMD made a bad move here, if the person in charge had thought this through, she would have had to realize no good would come from this reaction.

Back at presentation, I think Leo was frustrated with being so close to the card and being denied access has inspired him to shoot that editorial.

AMD has no guarantee that the publications that do receive samples will in fact "say nice things".

Cherry picking benchmarks is one thing, cherry picking reviewers is another thing entirely. That's a move no legit business can afford. There is no conspiracy to force media to be positive about the GPU's. Had Leo uploaded the video another day, the sample would have been on the way to the "negative" kitguru.

You don't know this to be true... no matter how likely it is.

I think Totalbiscuit has one of the best review policy, if a company can't provide a copy of a game. He buys it himself and writes it off as a business expense. This is how it should be done in the review world. 

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

You don't know this to be true... no matter how likely it is.

We've been through this once already, you don't need to perform an autopsy to establish that the patient is dead.

Regardless of what is actually happening there, the fact that people are so quick to dismiss the issue by discrediting KitGuru, tells quite a story. It is even more ironic when you realize they are the same people who insisted until their faces were blue to wait for KitGuru reviews for the Fury and 300s.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

We've been through this once already, you don't need to perform an autopsy to establish that the patient is dead.

What if there was dialogue between AMD and KG?  What if KG said something... IDK rude/offensive?  You only have one side of the story.  Good luck getting AMD's side, you are not entitled to it.

What I am saying is KG could be in the wrong here, and you would never know it.

You gotta stop saying you know the reason AMD pulled their sample.  You can estimate, speculate, assume, deduce and hypothesize all you like... but don't say it's known to you when it is not.  :mellow: