AMD - A New Era In PC Gaming

Opcode

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/68/amd-radeon-r9-290x-4gb-vs-8gb-4k-maxed-settings/index.html

4GB is more than enough for 4k right now. Anyone saying it isn't, or even trying to insinuate anything like that is just trying to cause an argument, or trying to prove themselves right with no other point. Even shadow of mordor maxed out at 4K gains a whole... 2 FPS for having 8GB over 4GB. WOW 2 FPS.

Won't stop the nvidia fanboys though.

"But X game uses X at X resolution with my X"

Unused RAM is wasted RAM, pretty much every game ever will store as much as it possibly can in VRAM at all times even if the performance increase is absolutely miniscule. That doesn't mean it NEEDS that much though. Refer to the link I posted for more.

Oh ok... 

Also it'd be possible to cool 275 W in that space... if you want to double the card's price :P

1/4 less cores? 3072... Only 256 more than a R9 290X, yeah it's nice but not that mindblowing :(

It's possible as when Lisa Su showed the card I noticed that even the fins on the heatsink were copper. It's likely not 275w although I put it as such while I was compiling the data which now is ~275w (e.g. up to).

275W on a single fan?! I don't believe it  <_<

You can't be right about the Nano's TDP. They said that the Nano had 2 times the performance per watt compared to the 290X and said the Fury / Fury X had 1.5 times the 290X's performance per watt. 

If the Nano has the same TDP as the Fury / Fury X, that would mean the Nano is more powerful than the Fury / Fury X and therefore is the flagship of this generation, which it is not.

Main post is under construction, so bare with me as I work on it (there will be placeholders).

It's possible as when Lisa Su showed the card I noticed that even the fins on the heatsink were copper. It's likely not 275w although I put it as such while I was compiling the data which now is ~275w (e.g. up to).

Main post is under construction, so bare with me as I work on it (there will be placeholders).

So... Should I expect lotsa fins of copper? Man... I don't want to think about dust then :D

This is a signature.

You can't make this fucking claim and not provide evidence. LOL

Edited just as you were posting this though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

So the fury is 100$ cheaper than a 980ti? If it performs about the same, boy is it a deal! And for the same price of the 980ti you get a watercooled version! Waiting to see the price for the nano, which also looks amazing.

I'm still pretty disappointed that the 300 series is a rebrand though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Unused RAM is wasted RAM

except .. this:

memory.gif

and you bluntly ignore one simple factor, this is for today's games; what happens when DX12 gets in full swing and games start using it? have you noticed how MANTLE uses ~600Mb more VRAM @1080p vs DX11 at the exact same quality settings 

Edited just as you were posting this though.

What does that prove? All that says is he's using Witcher 3 as a benchmark in GPU comparisons.

I want the actual video. I'm not saying you're lying, but I want to see it.

except .. this:

higher is better? Excuse me?!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So... Should I expect lotsa fins of copper? Man... I don't want to think about dust then :D

Picture the R9 290X reference cooler, it looked a lot like that heatsink (minus the fact of the fan blowing down on the fins) but pure copper.

R9-290X-R-7.jpg

Similar performance to 980 Ti but comes with an aio for the same price? So much for the thoughts of maybe getting a 980 Ti.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Back up a minute... There's no Fiji PRO listed here. With that in consideration, why didn't they do this:

Fury XT (watercooled Fiji XT) - $699

Fury X (air-cooled Fiji XT) - $599

Fury Pro (air-cooled Fiji PRO) - $499

That seems like it would have still been competitive while completely destroying the 980 (non Ti). Then for the 300 series...

390X 8GB - $399

390X 4GB - $369

390 8GB - $319

390 4GB - $289

(future) 380X 4GB - $239

380 4GB- $199

370 2GB - $149

360 2GB- $109

That pretty much would have been the ideal balance I know people would still moan about the Hawaii price hike, but none of those low prices were MSRP anyway. Supply and demand ultimately wins. With this pricing, AMD could have challenged Nvidia while maintaining decent margins...

Hm... Actually, I wonder if AMD had to price the 390 and 390X that high because Nvidia forced them to give up their margins on the Fury line.

what happens when DX12 gets in full swing and games start using it?

By this time the Fury X will be a relic. And even then, look at the link I provided. Even shadow of mordor which you showed has a peak of 5.6GB of VRAM, only gained 2 FPS on average at 4K with all other settings maxed on an 8GB card over a 4GB card. It did stutter more as they say, but on your list of games, (and its pretty well known) that shadow of mordor eats VRAM and isnt very efficient with it.

I doubt the "peak" matters much at all.

Also, remember HBM is FAR faster than GDDR5. That will undoubtebly help with the stuttering that something like SoM faces at 4K maxed.

I HIGHLY doubt AMD would release a card, tout its the best thing ever for 4K gaming and just give it 4GB of VRAM knowing it will stutter etc.

@Misanthrope @Notional Care to give examples rather than just calling him out as being biased/a fanboy/stupid?

Sure, in the latest tech talk, he said among other things:

• Stating AMD is still on PCIe gen 2 on the motherboards. - Asus released the first PCIe Gen 3 AMD motherboard in jan. 2013.
  • Claiming that AMD doesn't make money off the consoles - They do.
  • Claim the consoles are still subsidized by MS/Sony - They're not. That is why they are so "weak" for the money.
  • Says Fury X might have the lead, but Pascal with HBM2 will squash the Fury X. He then goes on to say that AMD can't afford the R&D for second gen HBM (wtf, AMD dev'd it with sk Hynix), and they will just rebrand fury and fall behind. - Of course this is bs, as fury won't battle Pascal. Rather AMD will release a 14nm finfet gpu called Greenland with HBM2. AMD might even release HBM2 before NVidia, due to their cooperation with sk Hynix.

He generally has a positive spin on all things NVidia, and generally a negative spin on all things AMD. I don't care if he prefers NVidia; that is his prerogatory; he's a reviewer, he should be as objective as possible.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

except .. this:

Question is how much of that is required VRAM utilization and how much is just loading in stuff which is not gonna be used for now? The proof of the pudding will be in the fury reviews. If it stutters at 4k due to VRAM bottleneck then AMD has a problem. If it works smoothly then all is good... Bring on the reviews.

R9-290X-R-7.jpg

except this is a 2 slot card with fan on the side, while Nano is a 2 slot with fan on top

so, the Nano rad is much much thinner

Next year, they should make a conference from both Nvidia/AMD. PC Gaming should not be a "red team" or a "green team" thing

The host's looks like shit because he has to look down for the teleprompter. 

I wasn't online for the reveal, did we got benchmarks or just specs and this is another flame war since it exploded? :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I wasn't online for the reveal, did we got benchmarks or just specs and this is another flame war since it exploded? If it's the latter I won't bother with this thread :D

No benchmarks. Thread half filled with fangasm and half flamewar. 

r9 Nano is so tiny and cute though  :wub:

Edit: Oh right and playable 5K res.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I wasn't online for the reveal, did we got benchmarks or just specs and this is another flame war since it exploded? If it's the latter I won't bother with this thread :D

We got 4 awesome new fury GPUs with HBM on new GCN 1.2 1.3?

Why do you want benchmarks from AMD? Wait for independent reviews...

We got 4 awesome new fury GPUs with HBM on new GCN 1.2

Why do you want benchmarks from AMD? Wait for independent reviews...

More like to see what numbers whe'd be getting in impossible best case scenario. Wait 1.2? I thought this was gonna have 1.3.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Well I have a suggestion: don't open your mouth and rant without validating results and don't commit amateur stupid fucking mistakes like not turning off vsync. You're supposed to be a professional reviewer and you mean to tell me you couldn't tell vsync was on after testing dozens of times on different cards, different resolutions, etc. That's not just "oh I made a mistake" it means "I made a mistake like 20 times over" that just makes you a shitty hardware reviewer.

Mistakes happen. When you're working alone it's even easier to have something like this slip through the cracks. It's good of him to admit his mistake, amend the video and move on. He doesn't owe you anything. 

Then again you probably didn't like him before the incident and this is just serving as confirmation bias.

More like to see what numbers whe'd be getting in impossible best case scenario. Wait 1.2? I thought this was gonna have 1.3.

Correct - my mistake

7970- GCN 1.0

290x- GCN 1.1

285 - GCN 1.2

Fury- GCN 1.3

Correct - my mistake

7970- GCN 1.0

290x- GCN 1.1

285 - GCN 1.2

Fury- GCN 1.3

Fury is GCN 1.3?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |