Why did you choose AMD over NVIDIA or Nvidia over AMD?

Because Titan.

For me it came down to the price per performance ratio and at that time AMD was the best. With the 7950 not only did i get an amazing overclocker but also many free games so i cant really complain.

7850 price per performance

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II

I chose AMD because in Australia Nvidia tend to be very overpriced, if I wanted a reference GTX780 right now I would have to pay $800.

That, Never Settle: Reloaded games, additional VRAM and the better overclocking as well.

Coolermaster HAF-X, i5-3570k@4.3Ghz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7870@1150Mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB 1600Mhz, Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit

An important reason why I would not chose nVidia is Linus Torvalds' opinion. Check this out if you haven't yet:

Chose nvidia because when i built my PC i was rolling in money and wanted the absolute best I could get out of a single card ( I bought a titan at the time, sold it about a month later for 780 SLI)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

My first (bought) graphics card was a GTS 250. At the time, the 5770 has been recently released and there were none in stock at the store I was buying from. Needing a graphics card for games, I flipflopped between trying to play on integrated graphics and having a decent card outright. Getting the card won out.

When the GTX 460 was released, the GTS 250 was pretty long in the tooth for the resolution and quality I wanted to play games at. A 5770 was too weak and the 5850 was too expensive (and the 5830 was not out yet). Picked that up pretty soon after release.

More recently, I got the 7950 because I'd been waiting for a 700-series Nvidia or 8000-series AMD card but the rumour mill had been making noise about no new cards from either camp in 2013 (gee, what a difference 6 months makes). Never Settle drivers put its performance above the 600-series Nvidia equivalent card and I picked up the Never Settle Reloaded bundle at the same time. It was a no brainer in terms of performance and value for money.

I'm kind of in between and don't really care.

I started out with a 660 Ti. Had it for a few months (I've only had my desktop for 6 months). Loved that card. 

A couple months I switched over to AMD (I now have a 7950) just so I could Bitcoin mine. I've no problems with my 7950 at all and I love it. Performs great...even a little better than my 660 Ti in some games. 

COMIC SANS

I've got a question for thoes of you that choose AMD over Nvidia

Why? this is just something i wanna hear from people and not review web sites

was it the price, performance, deal, fan of AMD?

My very first card was 6870, and now i have a 670, my next card will be the 9000.

im not a fan boy of any kind, the 6000 series seemed like a better choice over the 400 series, and the 600 series seemed like a better choice over the 7000 series because they were competing with the 500 series which was 1 gen below the new Nvidia cards.

And people who choose Nvidia over AMD: Why?

Price, performance, Temperatures, FPS stability? Fan of nvidia? was Nvidia something you always chose and scared to give AMD a try?

Thanks for replys! :)

the nvidia 600 series a better choice than amd 7000? 7000 series competing with nvidia 500? That must be the most fanboyish thing i have ever heard! 7950 beats a 660ti and 670.

I got a GTX 550ti as my first GPU because it was on sale for very cheap. When I built my current computer I stuck with Nvidia because I really liked the 550TI and had no problems with it. Did not see a point of switching. 

wth, my first graphics card was an NVIDIA TNT2

Generally speaking I prefer nVidia, just a bit more consistant (from my experience anyways).  That and when I bought my 670s they were before any kind of AMD driver bump so they were the best performance.  No complaints.

Have a couple 7970s in the next room though, they just need to be RMA'd

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

AMD cards consistently out-performed their Nvidia counterparts in Linus's Graphics Showdowns. AMD also allows for over-volting, which makes water-cooling actually worth it for the extra over-clocking potential.
On the AMD side you also get significantly better Anti Aliasing performance as compared to Nvidia & you get more memory as standard on the high-end.

Anti Aliasing Performance :
02-Bandwidth-1920x1080-Absolute.png
04-Bandwidth-2560x1440-Absolute.png
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-18.html

Another reason is because both the PS4 & XBOX ONE are powered by AMD's 7000 series architecture (GCN) which insures that pretty much all upcoming console parts will run better on AMD graphics cards & yes GPU optimization is actually a real thing (looking at you Linus), even if drivers become mature on the Nvidia side, AMD graphics cards will still have a distinct advantage.

Here are examples of games that have been out for a long while, so the argument for lack of driver maturity in these cases is not valid.

HD 7970 out-performing the almost twice as expensive 780.
54869.png
54873.png
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/11

54861.png
54865.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/10

54853.png
54857.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/9

54845.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/7

My reason for choosing Nvidia over AMD is. Simple, it's best for my needs. It has better Multi-GPU support. And the looks of their graphics card. Disregarding the ugly 600 series stock cooling. I'm talking about the 780 and Titan cooler. 

And lastly I'v been using Nvidia for all my life. I won't ever change to AMD unless Nvidia just die as a company. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

AMD cards consistently out-performed their Nvidia counterparts in Linus's Graphics Showdowns. AMD also allows for over-volting, which makes water-cooling actually worth it for the extra over-clocking potential.

On the AMD side you also get significantly better Anti Aliasing performance as compared to Nvidia & you get more memory as standard on the high-end.

Anti Aliasing Performance :

02-Bandwidth-1920x1080-Absolute.png

http://media.bestofmicro.com/9/V/351571/original/04-Bandwidth-2560x1440-Absolute.png

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-18.html

Another reason is because both the PS4 & XBOX ONE are powered by AMD's 7000 series architecture (GCN) which insures that pretty much all upcoming console parts will run better on AMD graphics cards & yes GPU optimization is actually a real thing (looking at you Linus), even if drivers become mature on the Nvidia side, AMD graphics cards will still have a distinct advantage.

Here are examples of games that have been out for a long while, so the argument for lack of driver maturity in these cases is not valid.

HD 7970 out-performing the almost twice as expensive 780.

54869.png

54873.png

54861.png

54865.png

54853.png

54857.png

54845.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/7

This is from a Nvidia "fanboy" perspective. but the games that did out perform Nvidia are the games that were made with the help of AMD and optimized for AMD. 

Examples : Sleeping dogs, Hitman Absolution.

But since these benchmarks are so close, I would love to see what AMD can put out. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Got my AMD card because at the time it was the best bang for the buck. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

This is from a Nvidia "fanboy" perspective. but most of those games you listed were made with the help of AMD and optimized for AMD. 

That is my point, Linus said twice that graphics optimization doesn't mean much when the drivers become mature, he's clearly wrong & I wanted to point that out to him.

My first card was the Nvidia MX 440 (not GT 440)

My second card was ATI radeon 3650

After a while I got the 9800GT (1GB vram)

I was about to buy two 7950 cards for crossfire but than I learned about the framerate issue... So I wanted to get two 660ti SLI. But than 700 series came out, so I bought the 780 and I love it...

My first card was the Nvidia MX 440 (not GT 440)

My second card was ATI radeon 3650

After a while I got the 9800GT (1GB vram)

I was about to buy two 7950 cards for crossfire but than I learned about the framerate issue... So I wanted to get two 660ti SLI. But than 700 series came out, so I bought the 780 and I love it...

MX 440 was my first card too !

That is my point, Linus said twice that graphics optimization doesn't mean much when the drivers become mature, he's clearly wrong & I wanted to point that out to him.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I chose Nvidia over AMD due to power efficiency for the most part. I've worked with power and efficiency, drawing less power = cheaper power bills as well as lower heat output. I know most people don't really count on this. Just me =) .

I Choose Nvidia (GTX 660 to be exact) because there is no AMD 7870 available when I buy my PC and until now I can't find a single 7870 anywhere (only able to found 7850 and 7770) weird.

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

An important reason why I would not chose nVidia is Linus Torvalds' opinion. Check this out if you haven't yet:

Lol. Linus hates NVIDIA!

I chose Nvidia over AMD due to power efficiency for the most part. I've worked with power and efficiency, drawing less power = cheaper power bills as well as lower heat output. I know most people don't really count on this. Just me =) .

This is not strictly true, HD 7870 consumes less power than GTX 660 & GTX 650 TI boost & is faster than both,

power_average.gif