Why did you choose AMD over NVIDIA or Nvidia over AMD?

I looked at nvidia cards but for the price amd always wins,I want an nvidia but amd has the best prices I have never owned an nvida

Pretty much this. I'm always on a budget so I always go for AMD. That and I've never had an issue with drivers in the past. I'd like to try out the 700 series though.

I use a EVGA 670 but i don't really care whether i have AMD or NVIDIA ill usually but whatever card gives me the best bang for my buck i was going to get a 7950 but a friend got me the 670 for a great price

The only difference between a politician and a criminal in patience . A criminal will try to take everything immediately where as a politician known to take it one small piece at a time

first card was a 6870, 5870 loved it to death performed awesome in modern games and it never let me down when it came time to upgrade i got the sapphire 7950. Got it for the overclocking head room which when overclocked beat the crap out of anything nvidia had at that 300 dollar price range at the time. It was cool quiet and is performing perfectly. But i think the main reason is for my upgrade cycle it always seems AMD is the ones that just launched new cards and i always wanted the best. I mean if i had 1000 dollars to drop on a 690 or a titan I would but alas i must stick to midrange and thats where AMD dominates. 

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

So you actually have to go out of your way to notice these differences? I don't notice it at all between my brothers 670 and my 7950.

That's exactly what I mean.

At high fps most people won't even notice.

It's like Linus video of 60Hz vs 120hz.

Many people won't even notice the difference but when you know what to look for you can see it.

Granted the monitor difference is way more noticable.

This is why I usually recommend AMD to people who are new to PCs or don't have enough money for high end like myself.

On the other hand: when you can afford to and really care about these small details  go green. 

Intel Q6600@3.2Ghz | HD6870 | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
BF3 medium settings | no vSync | 1080p | 50-70fps (:

I am just a intel and nvidia combination fanboy

CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.2Ghz Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero Z87 GPU: Gigabyte WindForce 3 GTX 770 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @1600MHz 

PSU: Corsair AX760 SSD: Corsair Force GS 128GB HDD: 3TB WD Caviar Green, 2TB WD Caviar Black Headset: Steelseries 7H

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Corsair M65 Monitor: Samsung S27A950D CPU-Cooler: Corsair H100i

Nvidia over AMD because they are better for profesional work, plus they have PyhsX.

Alos because I never get any problems with Nvidia GPUs.

I have yet to notice this. Of course, a 7950 is good enough to drive anything above 60 FPS except MMOs like WoW (which are CPU dependent anyway)

I think it is widely known that AMD is having heavy microstutter problems in configurations with multiple GPUs compared to nVidia.

The same thing goes for single GPU.

It is WAAAAAY less in single GPU configs and barely noticeable BUT it is still inferior to nVidia.

This is why on some reviews of 7970 vs 680 people say:

Hmm weird according to Fraps the 7970 clearly has 5-15 fps more however the 680 feels just as smooth or smoother.

Most people don't notice or don't care ( I notice it but I don't really care because it is a minor issue in single GPU and I don't have the money for a 780 :D)

I'm not saying nVidia is better in every way (look at the driver issues with 560ti and every second game crashing at load) ... both brands have ups and downs and every chip on every card is different so you never really know for 100%

Intel Q6600@3.2Ghz | HD6870 | 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz
BF3 medium settings | no vSync | 1080p | 50-70fps (:

I've been using Nvidia since the early days of ATI when I had some Riva card that barely ever worked. With my new build I picked up a 7970 DCII Matrix Platinum though, to carry me for a while.

I will actually go down in performance as I'm sitting with two GTX 580 in SLI now but I need to sell off my old parts while they're still worth something. At the same time I want to wait on the 9000 HD series and have a working computer while I'm still vacation. Had to solve it somehow.

Reason I picked this particular card was that overclockers.co.uk is running a bundle deal where you get 8 games with it, and all were games I wanted but had not picked up yet. Good deal I think. Was also important to get a strong single card with at least 3 gig vram. The card really looks like a monster, never had a card nearly as large as this.

Will see how it performs once I've managed to put the new PC together.

I think it is widely known that AMD is having heavy microstutter problems in configurations with multiple GPUs compared to nVidia.

The same thing goes for single GPU.

It is WAAAAAY less in single GPU configs and barely noticeable BUT it is still inferior to nVidia.

This is why on some reviews of 7970 vs 680 people say:

Hmm weird according to Fraps the 7970 clearly has 5-15 fps more however the 680 feels just as smooth or smoother.

Most people don't notice or don't care ( I notice it but I don't really care because it is a minor issue in single GPU and I don't have the money for a 780 :D)

I'm not saying nVidia is better in every way (look at the driver issues with 560ti and every second game crashing at load) ... both brands have ups and downs and every chip on every card is different so you never really know for 100%

Stop using your time machine and come back to present time, nowadays AMD's single card frame time is on par or even better compare to Nvidia.

ppC5zxr.jpg

Sauce: Nvidia's GeForce GTX 760 graphics card reviewed

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Let's see, I've had an 8800 GTX, HD 5870, GTX 570 and HD 7970. Just been flipping back and forth on the updates, depending on who has the best price/performance at the time (of me buying, that is).

I'm going by the Linus benchmarks, where the 7950 outperformed the 660 Ti in every single benchmark, same thing with the 7970 & the 670. All of these cards were priced identically for the longest time.

I have no personal knowledge of Australian prices on per card basis, but the 7970 was going for 330$ just two weeks ago, in fact I ordered one, while the 770 has not dipped below 400$.

Now as for the 700 series, expect the 9000 series from AMD to be very competitive at each price point.

Well that explains it, for what ever reason Nvidia are cheaper here in Aus than the USA, but AMD is exceedingly more expensive.  For the 7970 you pay $330 but we pay $545.

For a long time I could not understand why people kept saying you get better performance/dollar out of AMD when the our prices just don't reflect that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

the nvidia 600 series a better choice than amd 7000? 7000 series competing with nvidia 500? That must be the most fanboyish thing i have ever heard! 7950 beats a 660ti and 670.

at the time yes it was for the price too, i got a good deal

Well that explains it, for what ever reason Nvidia are cheaper here in Aus than the USA, but AMD is exceedingly more expensive.  For the 7970 you pay $330 but we pay $545.

For a long time I could not understand why people kept saying you get better performance/dollar out of AMD when the our prices just don't reflect that.

In New Zealand the prices for a GTX 670 ranges from 519 to 720 depending on brands, the 7950 ranges from 413 to 490. I hate the cost of things here :(

#!

In New Zealand the prices for a GTX 670 ranges from 519 to 720 depending on brands, the 7950 ranges from 413 to 490. I hate the cost of things here :(

You guys have a 17% VAT/GST don't you?  ours is only 10% thank goodness.

I can understand there being a price difference but what I can't understand is why amd can be more than nvida (on average) in one country and cheaper in another.

It certainly makes for getting recommendations hard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I personally chose NVIDIA (GTX 680) because the card runs much cooler, and for the CUDA features. Plus the salesman at Microcenter gave me any Never Settle Bundle I wanted with the card even though it wasn't AMD (except the 7990 since it wasn't released yet).

I went nVidia for cuda with the adobe software mainly and I have a 120hz monitor so I use the lightboost hack. And Physx is cool.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

Chose AMD because APU

And when I'll get a proper graphics card, I'll choose AMD (7790), because perfomance to price ratio is better than NVIDIA, Never Settle and because I have a soft spot for them

CPU: A10-5800K, GPU: 7660D, RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x 4GB 1600Mhz, PSU: Rosewill Stallion series RD500-2SB 500W, Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35, HDD: WD 10EZEX 1TB Blue, Case: Rosewill Line-M mAtx

Cuda cores. I needed them.

But not anymore, so when the 9XXX series comes out and benchmarks are released, I'm going to upgrade.

| Corsair Carbide Series 350D |Corsair H100i | Intel i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz, 1.175v | EVGA x99 Micro 2 | G.Skill Trident Z 32gb, 3200MHz

| Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti @1506MHz | EVGA P2 850 Watt | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500gb | Western Digital Red Pro 6TB |

You guys have a 17% VAT/GST don't you?  ours is only 10% thank goodness.

I can understand there being a price difference but what I can't understand is why amd can be more than nvida (on average) in one country and cheaper in another.

It certainly makes for getting recommendations hard.

15% But I believe customs tax is quite high here too.

#!

15% But I believe customs tax is quite high here too.

Crap, double whammy and no increase in general  wages to compensate I bet.

I had to choose between a GTX550ti and an HD6850, got the GTX550ti because I wanted PhysX, now I regret it because the only PhysX games I've played in the (almost) 2 years I had the GPU were Mafia 2, Metro 2033 and Borderlands 2. I'm not biased towards any particular make. Would've got the 6850 because it's a bit more powerful than the 550ti.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 640  GPU: ASUS Geforce GTX550ti DirectCU  RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 2 x 4GB DDR3  MoBo: ASRock N68C-S UCC  Case: Fractal Design Core 1000

Peripherals: Razer NAGA Hex Wraith, Microsoft Sidewinder X6, Steelseries 7H Fnatic Edition

Monitors: LG Flatron M237WDP 23inDell E172FP 17in

I chose Nvidia because CrossFireX has issues atm. But I will switch back to AMD if CFX is fixed because I hate how Nvidia restricts their new cards from overvolting. I want my beastly overclock!

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

AMD/ ATi because well... I am a fan boy. Haven't owned an Nvidia card. I find ATi's stuff easy to use and haven't ever really had any driver issues. I don't seem to notice a huge problem running my 7970Ghz's in Crossfire either. The last 3 setups I have had, have all been Crossfire setups. 3870 x2, HD5970 and now my HD7970's and they have all exceeded my expectations for gaming power each time.

Nvidia has better distribution in more parts of the world than AMD, AMD admitted this & said they're working hard on it.

Nvidia has better distribution in more parts of the world than Nvidia, AMD admitted this & said they're working hard on it.

Wicked, does this mean we will see a price drop for the CPU's as well? They are already competitive in their pricing but that would be sweeeeeeeet!  I've always had a soft spot for the AMD CPUs but I have to go Intel to get the best value.