Experiences with non-techies

I Have the opposite of someone who does not know PCs. The one dude says he was gonna get a Titan X and thismother dude gets up and starts argueing with him to get a 980Ti and for like, half an hour straight until secruity came xD. We are now all friends.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I have a friend that has an exact opposite bottleneck. He bought a prebuilt with an i7-5820k and a r9 270x.

Moment of silence.

So this kid in my school thinks he knows a lot about building PC's, and he said he built one for a friend. I asked the specs. Anyways, he's either lying or made a huge mistake.

He said that he got his friend an AMD A6 (He might have meant FX 6300, either way who knows.) And an R9 Fury. Also a Micro ATX motherboard for overclocking.

He said that it wouldn't bottleneck at all, after I said "Dude thats not a good idea, the GPU is going to be bottlenecked really badly by the CPU" He just replied with no you're wrong and kept trying to fight what I said. It was pretty funny.

What do you think about this?

Any things like this happen to you?

Neither of those components are good even not taking into account the bottleneck. Show him this thread you created. Then tell him to educate himself to the best of his ability before using other peoples' money for his lucrative, ridiculously planned builds for his own good.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Go read any of my stories in the "experiences with non-techies" sub-sub-forum.

I have a friend that has an exact opposite bottleneck. He bought a prebuilt with an i7-5820k and a r9 270x.

That PC probably isn't for gaming then.

There are people who could use a little more knowledge and less ignorance out there...

What I think?

Move on, not your money, not your PC, not your issue.

It's an issue, because that person is making that PC for someone else.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

This is why i try to avoid arguing with people that aren't tech savvies or the "know" a lot about tech... just let them rot... because they don't listen and say "I'm better that you, so @#@@$@#$%&%#"..... Either way I'll be glad if they accept their mistakes and try to learn more and not to be ignorant 

And most of the time, i have little to no one to talk about tech (except with my cousin) *cries in a corner*

The sad news is he already built this PC for the person...

Also to whoever said the i7 and 270X, it would be different if it was like a FX series, i3 or something with a 270x.

I sense a lot of hate and tension in this thread.. I shall lighten everyone's mood!

post-104353-0-30296800-1443085717.gif

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I'm currently staying at a hotel and when I first came in I immediately looked the room up and down for specs. Lots of outlets, ok. Some ethernet ports, sweet. And the TV has a video input box so you can connect "Super HD Video up to 4K to the TV". TV is no more than 720p lul but ok....wait....what? They connected the video input box to the TV's "Super HD Video" input (it was really just HDMI xD) with a VGA adapter. So no matter what resolution the host is you get VGA quality. *shivers* Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure the ethernet ports are CAT 5.

There is nothing inherently wrong with vga image quality, the only difference is that if the cable is of very poor quality or has taken a beating the image may be affected.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My family doesn't know the word "Beta" in software.

I told them that Beta isn't actually a full release.

They said this to me:

"What? How come?! They (people who created the software) are smart people! They should fix this immediately!"
"Yeah, they are smart.... But this isn't the real software yet, it's still under development."

"This is unacceptable! They should fix this right now!"

"But..."
"No BUT! Call the company! I want to speak with them!"

tiylnxwhzso0h8q8uzxa.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Ah school days... Fun times.
When my teacher couldn't figure out his to eject a DVD. Where my TD teacher thought because they were new laptops(pretty sure they might have been refurbs) they were the greatest thing ever.

For you own sake op don't try argue with these people. If you are right you just look like an elitist and when you are wrong and they argue anyway you just get frustrated.

You can't knock sense into ignorance. Just visit our non techy thread and vent away. We have all been there.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I have a Kid like that in our school. Do not Feel bad. We all have that one kid in our schools. 

Knowledge is power and power corrupts, So study hard and be evil.   

One time a guy asked me "If you know so much about computers - what is the electrical resistance to a intel processor? I you don't know the answer you don't know anything." I laughed so hard. :DDD Then someone asked me: "Put android on my nokia 5320 xpressmusic please." My teacher uses Windows Media Player - she shows us a video of bees then to close it she presses go to library and then only closes the window. My grandma didn't shut her monitor off before the pc had turned off - she thought if she powered off the monitor the pc wouldn't work again next time. :D At least i explained how things work to her.

Sorry! I am not trying to be obvious - its just i'm in school and that just "clicked" for me. You do know the resistance of an intel processor!!!

Power = IV = (Current)*(Voltage)

If you know the max TDP of a processor. Say 90 Watts.

TDP = I*V(system)       ie. 12ish volts      We could use V_core but its easier to use whole cpu package.

Current = 90/12 = 7.5 amps

Back to equation: I^2 * R = TDP

So Resistance = 90/(7.5^2) = 1.6 Ohms !!!!  ;)

EDIT: AAand I just realized how long this post was and how ancient the thing I just replied to. :(

good thing i dont have any friends :D ... wait no its not :(

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Not really an experience but my school's computers filter out websites, which is understandable when it's gaming or social media, but they also filter information technologies, so I can't go on linustechtips. What's even worse is that they also filter out educational websites, so we can't even go on our school's website.

This is a signature.

Not really an experience but my school's computers filter out websites, which is understandable when it's gaming or social media, but they also filter information technologies, so I can't go on linustechtips. What's even worse is that they also filter out educational websites, so we can't even go on our school's website.

GG school

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

@burnttoastnice. Let's be clear here. The number of writes an SSD can take is a lot. More than the average will utilize - I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. In addition, the number of READS an SSD can take is infinite as long as the drive as a whole is functional.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

@burnttoastnice. Let's be clear here. The number of writes an SSD can take is a lot. More than the average will utilize - I don't think you'd have anything to worry about. In addition, the number of READS an SSD can take is infinite as long as the drive as a whole is functional.

I'm paranoid in regards to preserving flash storage because I've had countless removable drives lock up after months of use. I primarily use flash drives as backup storage, or as a means of getting large files around frequently, and in some cases as primary drives for linux systems. I also run my home hosted website from several flash drives, which sees quite frequent small reads and writes(Small writes require the entire 512K block which that file is in to be erased and written entirely - so you can potentially destroy something like a small 1GB drive within several months by constantly writing a small 100 byte file to it). Of course USB flash and SSD flash are different in terms of durability and reliability, so SSD users ideally shouldn't have any problems with their drive after several years of normal usage (installing games, occasionally moving files around, browsing websites frequently - which involves data being written to the ssd as browser cache).

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Went to a tech fair and teenagers were looking at the alien-ware desktop (the really fat one) and saying "oh, thats a huge cpu'

OH MY GOSH

some of my co-workers (professional IT guys) call desktops CPUs and it annoys me to no end.

Main Rig: 

i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz w/ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Asus Maximus VII Hero - 16GB G.Skill Triedent X 2133MHz RAM - 2x Gtx 660s in SLI - 120GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD NZXT Hue - K70 RGB Keyboard - Corsair Sabre RGB - Windows 8.1 - 2x Asus VN247H-P 1080p Monitors (I'm a sucker for lighting effects)

Server: 

FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz w/ stock cooler - 8GB Crucial 1600MHz RAM - AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU - 300W PSU - 120GB SSD - Windows 7

Let us have a moment of silence for all of those people who tried to defrag their SSDs (I know too many :()...

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Ah school days... Fun times.

When my teacher couldn't figure out his to eject a DVD. Where my TD teacher thought because they were new laptops(pretty sure they might have been refurbs) they were the greatest thing ever.

For you own sake op don't try argue with these people. If you a right you just look like an elitist and when you are wrong and they argue anyway you just get frustrated.

You can't knock sense into ignorance. Just visit our non techy thread and vent away. We have all been there.

Typical nontechies.

I have my story. So I had to do a comic on what a web browser was in computer applications. What the actual f*ck? Anyways, they had us watch a video on web browsers. 

So me being smart and lazy, I just gave them my answer. I got a reply from the teacher. "You have to watch the video. Why did you google it?" (which I never did btw).

And I have another friend named Chase, and he boldy stated that he knows everything about PC's and Macs. So we ask him: Who made the first desktop pc? he replied with the 

nontechie runaround answer: Apple. Who created the first phone? Apple. What OS do macs run on? Apple. Name 5 Distros of Linux? His response? Uhhhh... Linux.... UHHHHHHHHH

HHHHH  UHHHHHH UHHHH UHHH.... 

59751562.jpg

I give up on that kid. Then he never admited that he knows nothing, or at least to the extent he claimed he did. And he defended it like android locker pin's built in defense mechanisms. Jesus Christ.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

-Is THAT the new computer?WHAT did you do to it?

-It's a graphic card

-What?

-The dead graphic card from my PC, I told you about that yesterday.

(my dad looking at my dead disassembled 280X Toxic, btw the computer isn't new-2013. I am selling the working parts of it- the cooler, the fans... What price do you give it?)