Experiences with non-techies

There's a bunch of grade 8's in my school who get together at lunch and all bring their iPads in and play apps.

Worst part is, they call themselves "real gamers"

I hate it when people do that.

I have to keep telling my family to use Chrome or Firefox so that I don't have to clean out the potential viruses. I've been lucky that there haven't been any cases yet.

Every topic I post in dies.

Where to start my list? here are some of the wonderful lists of things I've been asked for while working in retail.

AVG lead for VGA

UPS, USP, US, UBS all for USB

Tiggabite Hard drives

Scarp bleed and scarlett lead for Scart lead

HOMI, HMI, HMDI and HD lead all for HDMI

A wiffy dingle instead of a WiFi dongle

Anything digickal instead of digital

Sadly they get annoyed you when you correct them.

I'm sure there are so many others but I honest to god can't think of them right now. On a family level my mum thought Blu-ray was a fish.

"Wiffy Dingle". I'd burst out laughing if someone asked me for that. 

I told my friend I would build a new computer for him since he has a shitty old desktop. So he messages me on facebook and this is what ensues;

Tom: Gabe. Would there be any reason why excel wouldn't work on the computer.

I tell him to uninstall then reinstall just to make sure a file was corrupt.

Tom: No. On the one you can build.

Me: I thought you meant on your computer... Who said it wouldn't run excel?

Tom: No I'm just checking,see my in is that we need a computer for my mom,when she comes home we need to keep track of exspenses, and pay checks for her aids,we will need excel,our current computer stinks

I know gaming computers aren't like regular computers

Me: *facepalm*

Gaming computers are regular computers...

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Friend claims his 30d can take better photo's than my 600d because it is from a "more pro" lineup

Facepalm* 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

There was this person I knew that had been going through a rough time - divorce, lack of money, taking care of 4 kids, extremely difficult ex, that sort of thing. She had two computers: A really old IDE one from the 90s that ran Windows 98, and a garbage Dell laptop (I don't mind Dell laptop's but this one was especially bad). Both ended up failing, and of course, all her pictures/kid's documents were on them without a backup.

My mom told her I was into computers so she ended up talking to me, and she wanted to know what would be the best one to buy. Now enter classic story of how I built her one for around $200 after combos/sales/rebates since all she did was browse Facebook and had her kids play flash games. I remember her saying how quiet it was and how much faster it was, and I was worried it would be too slow.

As for the actual "cringe"worthiness: she gave both her computers to "technical professionals," who are also relatively well known people in my area. They aren't actually technical at all, they just do an engineering job at the labs on computers that I still think use Windows 98... Anyway, they told her there was no hope for her pictures and documents, and said the computers were dead and the data was gone.

They were partly right. The gigantic old desktop wouldn't start and I didn't even try to figure that out, so I just took out the two ginormous IDE hard drives. The laptop had the Dell Blinking Cursor of Death, so that was hopeless, but I also took out the laptop-style-IDE hard drive. I bought an IDE to USB adapter and voila, I got all her pictures and everything of value. I put it on an 8GB flash drive I had and told her about backing her crap so she could avoid this. I think she was happiest for that.

What bothers me most was that these so called "professionals" with years in the field (of engineering) knew nothing or so little about computers of today... or yesterday. I just imagined them plugging it in, turning it on, and when nothing happened they gave up. I was at one point somewhat rather maybe possibly attached to one of her older daughters in the past so maybe I'm more predisposed than I should have been, but it just bothers me they so obviously didn't even try.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

Someone in our province is selling a really old Lian Li case, and he's selling it for 2,500 Pesos ($58) because it is PURE ALUMINUM and for GAMING.

http://www.ayosdito.ph/Lian+li+Gaming+case-6198996-1.htm

6807456987.jpg

6875643539.jpg

6824503625.jpg

When you could get a cm n200 for cheaper which does, well everything in the world better.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

"Wiffy Dingle". I'd burst out laughing if someone asked me for that. 

I nearly did, thankfully the customer wasn't an ass and was able to take the joke

If I were a bird, I'd fly into a ceiling fan.

Another one.

When people worry too much about response times on a monitor.

I don't give a s*it about the response times, refresh rates and display technology.

Is it big? yes/no and what resolusion does it have. that's all I need to know

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

for my job I am a product tester so i test laptops and desktops that are returned and for 50% of the macbooks/macbook airs that get returned the reason says "Screen keeps going black" People don't realize that its going into sleep mode and they return the unit thinking its defective **FacePalm**

| Corsair 900D | i7-4770K | ASUS Maximus VI Formula | SLI ASUS Geforce GTX780 | EK & Alphacool WaterCooling | 

| Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 32GB | | Two Corsair Neutron GTX Series 240GB SSD | Corsair AX1200i |

| Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Two Seagate Barracuda 4TB  | Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit |http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/189392-corsair-900d-sli-watercooled-refresh-and-new-setup/#entry2550514

dumb tumblr girls calling gif files jifs

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

I got a good one. I kid in his early teens comes to me all water eyed saying his new msi 7870 twin frozr isnt working. he says that the fans go crazy when he turns it on. His parents think its a virus and that he is incompetent at using the pc and installing the gpu. Luckily for them I was in a good mood so i just told them that MSI forced the gpu fan to spin the fan up anti clockwise to remove dust. they were happy and even more happy when i told them that there was no need to pay me. they tipped me £20. I was actually playing war thunder with the kid, i destroyed him of course.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I got a good one. I kid in his early teens comes to me all water eyed saying his new msi 7870 twin frozr isnt working. he says that the fans go crazy when he turns it on. His parents think its a virus and that he is incompetent at using the pc and installing the gpu. Luckily for them I was in a good mood so i just told them that MSI forced the gpu fan to spin the fan up anti clockwise to remove dust. they were happy and even more happy when i told them that there was no need to pay me. they tipped me £20. I was actually playing war thunder with the kid, i destroyed him of course.

why did you changed your avatar?

what was your avatar before?:D

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

My brother judges the speed of your computer by the amounts of storage you have  -_-

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

why did you changed your avatar?

what was your avatar before? :D

It was a cat being a attacked by its leg, a cat turning its head or a cat going under a table. Whats wrong with changing my profile pic. Im most likely gonna change it again.

Listen if you care.

I just saw this comment on Youtube:
You really can't compare bf and cod graphics due to the fact that cod uses the xbox engine for better quality when bf uses the pc...

"facepalm"

RTX2070OC 

I just saw this comment on Youtube:

You really can't compare bf and cod graphics due to the fact that cod uses the xbox engine for better quality when bf uses the pc...

"facepalm"

jesus-facepalm.jpg

Listen if you care.

I remember once being at a retail store for a simple thing, it was to pick up a cheap mouse to hold me over since my other one died on me. Don't remember if this happened at a Wal-mart electronics section or Best Buy, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is the lack of knowledge these sales reps tend to have. There I was, looking at various peripherals and suddenly I overhear a sales rep talk to a customer about a computer she should buy. Both of them was such obvious non-techies that was it beginning to give me a headache. While the guy slinks away, I tell that woman the sales rep hasn't a single clue what he was talking about and helped her picked out a machine that suited her needs and not what some idiot was trying to push on her.

I'm don't know if i'm lucky or not, but my dad is really tech savy. Altough he's more about networks and system maintenance since he works at an IT department. But one funny thing he did was he bought a computer for cheap from his job (the one i'm using right now, thanks dad) and was like "it got this beast graphics card!", guess what card it was. A GTX 6800 Ultra, and it was only like 3 years ago. And now that i wanna build a new machine he really couldn't wrap his mind around the fact that this PC cannot run games that was released is the past five years.

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?

You're doing it right.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I just thought of another one! One of my teachers wanted to buy a new computer for editing and i asked what her budget was and she said "oh about 3000 dollars and i have my eyes on this macbook that costs 3000 ". The macbook in question had a whooping 4gb of RAM and a hardrive with 750gbs of storage. Of course i told her that i can build a computer for her that will have 10 times better performance. But i didn't really want to be an ass and indirectly tell shes an idiot by saying that this overpriced piece of shit she picked out was no good. So i told her that she can buy whatever she she wants, but i wholeheartedly recommend that she buy something else. Which she interperted as i didn't know what i was talking about and just wanted cover my own ass. 

Paintball, my anti-drug. Because when you play paintball, how could you possibly afford drugs?!?

At are school, are servers runs 300 Virtual machine boxes (NO CPU inside any of them) (And mind this, we use these for Photoshop and Music editing) that runs off a Intel 3820, at the same time, the server is run off a Linux distro, thats VBing another Linux Distro, thats VBing a 3rd Linux Distro, thats VBing Windows. 

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700