New Platform Launch Feedback & FAQ

I understand that afterall, this is a business, you gotta put food on the table. LMG has been growing and there are more and more people which need salaries etc so its important that the business is generating an income, and with YouTube pinching even more from the content creators like the greedy corporation it is, I totally get it. 

From what I've heard Vessel offers some really nice financial incentives for creators too, but I just wish there was another way. Perhaps long-run this is good as YouTube might see Vessel as some well-deserved competition and finally step off of the throne they call a monopoly.

Having said that, however, I understand that Vessel is a new service in all, and it can only improve, but, from what I have experienced, especially for a subscription service, it is subpar to say the least. I don't think it would be fair to compare it to another more mature platform like YouTube, but I think the service lacks some major functionality (like the ability to see how many views on a video? - that could be by design, but it feels limiting and I'll explain why.). The design aesthetic of the site could also be improved - I mean just browsing around on a desktop browser feels like I'm on a tablet or smartphone, everything is centered with all the navigation buttons tucked away in the collapsible sidebar and overall and the best way to describe how it feels in terms of functionality is 'limiting'. 

If I'd subscribe to the service, I would get access to early content, at the cost of some major functionality loss and subpar user experience, and I don't know if its worth it.

I obviously can't speak for Linus' sake, it is his business and he will know what is best for the well being of himself, his family, and his employees, but having said that I just wish they would have considered exploring other options to help subsidize their income that are more 'community - oriented' like Patreon, which I believe offers more incentives to the viewer than Vessel would (Especially considering incentives to contribute mainly come from the creator) and keeps viewers on the YouTube platform.

EDIT: Just realized you responded to someone else about Patreon

iOS Mobile Vessel App Review

Downloaded the app on my brother's iphone for the purpose of testing out how well it works

Very snappy app as to be expected. 

You are presented with 3 playlists: Subscriptions Feed, New Releases, and Popular

Your subscription feed includes the newest videos from the people you subscribe to as well as some suggested popular videos from the categories (Ex: Gaming) that you subscribed to. Categories can be unsubscribed from by swiping from the right, clicking edit, and deleting the category.

The subscription feed is a fullscreen Portrait Mode preview of the videos with a couple seconds of the video playing as the background with no sound. Each video takes up the entire screen and swiping up brings you to the next video. While this is nice to look at, it makes finding specific new videos tedious.

Along with the difficulty of seeing your subscription feed, every couple of swipes up will present an ad. You can just as quickly swipe up and go to the next video, so the ad doesn't feel too intrusive, but there are a lot of them for a premium service. 

Video Quality is fine for the iphone 6. Videos load up instantly and there are no noticeable bugs. The video WILL NOT continue to play if you press the home button. Closing the video to go back to your feed or a content creator's profile is similar to the Youtube app where you swipe from the top left down. However, the youtube app minimizes the video so that you can watch it while you look at your subscription feed while the Vessel app completely closes the video to show you the top result of your subscription feed. 

Overall, I think it is a well built app but has the fatal flaw of choosing style over the ability to view your subscription feed more easily.

so for the giveaway do you have to be "active in the community?"

thanks

@LinusTech I love supporting LTT. I've bought 5 t-shirts so far, and I have specifically disabled my adblocker on the youtube channel, as well as the forum. Being in college, I can't exactly afford to pay the monthly fee to be a forum contributor. 

There is one thing I can say for certain. When my free year of vessel premium is up, I will not be renewing it. Paying someone else money, for early access to my favorite content from someone else just seems silly to me. I understand LMG has to do this to stay afloat as a business and I know vessel has to make money too, but there has to be another more viable model.

I am curious as to what will happen when everyone's free year is up. Will we still get access to your content on vessel before it shows up on youtube? If that isn't the case, I am wondering how many of the user-base will stick with vessel over youtube. If that happens, does the new ad monetization model still remain viable? Youtube has gotten too big to completely abandon, and some of my other content creators are not as fortunate to have an offer from vessel.

Apologies in advance if this question was answered already. It is 5am and I haven't slept yet, so I may have missed it. Linus mentioned that you guys will sill be releasing important content on YouTube "first," such as new products. How much does this cover? Only products released in the future, or even products that exist now? Would something like the new Pebble be posted immediately, or go through Vessel first? 

Another, more technical question I wanted to ask more on the side of Vessel. It's design is rather lacking. I can't tell what I have and haven't watched, and I can't seem to tell if all of your content on there is visible, or if some if on another page. Any tips for navigating the site on a desktop? 

How are you guys going to handle things like your Amazon link, Pricing & Discussion, etc? It doesn't appear that Vessel has a description box, or even Annotation support. I know this is a new platform, but I was wondering if you could give us any insight?

What's your guys' upload schedule for Vessel? I mean time-wise. (Preferably in EST time since that's where I am.) 

Ill continue to watch your videos because I support all that you do. However, I would have rather seen you change the website from a big forum to a website where you posted your videos and content here, on your own. Vessel has poor navigation and is trying to be too minimalistic IMO. Also, I am not going to remember to check it every day because you're the only person I have interests in watching on there. 

I wish you the best of luck though. Thanks for all you've done thus far! You've helped me a lot!

Zach

OMG Mr. Bucket .... as in the game shown on Angry Video Game Nerd Show .... I want that game!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Signed up to vessel and do plan on using it at least for the year. I have followed content creators to other platforms before (SF debris to blip anybody?) and see no reason not to follow you guys coz you are awesome. 

However no android app - Seriously? 

Also make linus not give away his rig. It just doesn't seem right, what if vessel tanked (not saying it will), then linus would have given away his rig for nothing. 

Hey guys why doesn't vessel work on mobiles . it says coming soon??

Hey guys why doesn't vessel work on mobiles . it says coming soon??

So if you guys at LMG think this is the right move to make I will support you 110%. I love your content and know how much you love and care about your fans and supporters. Therefore there I have no worries or problems about this platform addition. 

But how will advertising work on Vessel compared to Youtube? 

I just signed up, but I don't get the free year thing. I cannot view your latest videos, without it asking for a subscription. I plan on subscribing, but I would love a free year. I don't get it.

Vessel seems pretty good so far, but unfortunately for me my internet is far too slow to watch any videos on Vessel without significant stuttering or buffering. The resolution setting goes from HD to 'auto' which is not low enough for my internet to stream smoothly.

Also, when using YouTube I like to use the x2 speed option to get through large amounts of video quickly without skipping anything - another feature Vessel doesn't have.

However, I do think it is really great the LMG is expanding to other video platforms and not relying on YouTube/Google as much and I totally respect the decision. Maybe one day when I can get faster internet speeds or Vessel allows for lower resolution streams I will use this new platform, but for the time being I will stick with YouTube.

Awesome stuff. Signed up and will be glad to pay after the free year!

Nice of you guys to do this appreciate it alot!

It's cool but people ain't gonna unstick from YT that easy. Especially for a paid platform.

I'm loving Vessel just for the black theme...unlike Youtube and all the best Team Linus!

Recently with all the changes to YouTube, the site is really laggy on lower end systems, so what is Vessel going to do to make sure their site runs smooth, even on slower hardware?

I just signed up, but I don't get the free year thing. I cannot view your latest videos, without it asking for a subscription. I plan on subscribing, but I would love a free year. I don't get it.

Vessel seems pretty good so far, but unfortunately for me my internet is far too slow to watch any videos on Vessel without significant stuttering or buffering. The resolution setting goes from HD to 'auto' which is not low enough for my internet to stream smoothly.

Also, when using YouTube I like to use the x2 speed option to get through large amounts of video quickly without skipping anything - another feature Vessel doesn't have.

However, I do think it is really great the LMG is expanding to other video platforms and not relying on YouTube/Google as much and I totally respect the decision. Maybe one day when I can get faster internet speeds or Vessel allows for lower resolution streams I will use this new platform, but for the time being I will stick with YouTube.

LTT Scrapyard Wars, the Netflix Original series coming next?

Awesome stuff. Signed up and will be glad to pay after the free year!

Nice of you guys to do this appreciate it alot!

Does Vessel supports 1080p 60fps? 

Also, tell Vessel to MAKE ANDROID APP ASAP!!!!

It's cool but people ain't gonna unstick from YT that easy. Especially for a paid platform.

My Vessel name is: Inlanzer

My 2 favorite videos I've watched and commented on are

1) https://www.vessel.com/videos/JemZ8O7Hy

2) https://www.vessel.com/videos/LCoY5zfFf

I'm loving Vessel just for the black theme...unlike Youtube and all the best Team Linus!

Recently with all the changes to YouTube, the site is really laggy on lower end systems, so what is Vessel going to do to make sure their site runs smooth, even on slower hardware?

Are there going to be any Vessel exclusive videos?

It's really unfortunate the amount of people who don't seem to understand that you guys aren't leaving YouTube (even though it was clearly stated in the video that you are not.) The fact that the same people seem to believe that the high quality content LMG provides is completely free to produce is equally saddening.

I created my account over at Vessel to give it a try, and everything seems to be working smoothly so far. I'd like to echo some of the other user's comments about the lack of an Android app. Since I do a lot of my video watching during commute,  I'd very much like to see an app made available in the future. Also, I do not see any options for creating a playlist. Is this something that is going to be implemented in the future, or am I just missing it? One other thing that I've noticed, that is just minor nit-picking mind you, is that links in the video descriptions are not clickable.

Overall I think this is an exciting development, and I will continue to support you guys as long as you are producing such excellent content. All the best to LMG going forward!

paywalls..

I would pay a monthly fee to watch your videos in regular time? (when they are released)

but this whole time we've been watching on release without paying a fee?

I... I.. I'm almost depressed, jesus.

I won't sit here and judge. that's not right. but people donate to your cause a lot. more than most YouTubers.

Patreon would of been nice, but not enough I'm assuming? this is your business.. and you are maximazing profits.

I'm such an idiot, idk what I expected..

If you act like Vessel doesn't exist, there will be literally no difference for you. We will still release a video each and every day on YouTube.

It's true regarding this. I understand your reasonings for diversifying your content distribution however I disagree with how Vessel is doing it. There's also a number of features the consumer looses, the integration with other accounts, there's a lack of Android application, the quality of the videos being streamed FROM vessel is of an inferior quality to those of YouTube and there's the issue of the pay-wall which will put a lot of people off.

Whilst granted and I believe good on you for taking the stance of universally releasing certain product videos, I don't believe that vessel has a long term future due to the nature of how they've conducted their business and I feel I'll just continue to view on YouTube as I have previously done. Google's recent changes I believe has negatively impacted their business but from a "getting in the game" perspective, it's easy to upload videos to youtube. A lot of the attraction to viewing online content is the ability to also do so yourself.

We watch streamers on twitch because we can emulate and stream our own stuff, we watch on youtube because we can emulate.

Again, from a marketer & business owners perspective, you're making a solid move, however I would take it a step forward and lean on them until you can release ALL your videos on both platforms at the same time. If their business model is holding your content to ransom, that's not a good deal for you, or your viewership.

Kindest regards.

Totally understand that. Some may say that it's good to escape a bit from the Google ecosystem, some love having everything integrated into one. It's all up to personal preference, and luckily you can choose which one you prefer and support us there :)

Like I've said before in the thread - if you just act like they don't exist, you will notice literally no difference. We'll still upload daily to both platforms.

Awesome! Another gripe: videos won't keep playing after paused for a few minutes, the page has to be refreshed.

Weird... Send me a PM and I'll follow up with them when I can.

How long does the confirmation email take to come? I've signed up ~10 minutes ago and I've not gotten anything in my @hotmail.com email box; I've even checked my spam box.

Should come through relatively quickly. Let me know if it takes too much longer...

You say there still will be a video posted to youtube every day, but will always be the exactly same videos?

Good luck with this move!

Vessel will get each video 7 days before YouTube.

I like the New layout much more then  Youtube  the commenting system is much better without the the personalized  avatars and sometimes offensive pictures people use. The simple  Large first letter of the poster name is very nice. its almost much easier to find relevant matching content  then some of the suggestions  youtube gives me after one of your videos.

The video compression  could be better. Colors and contrast are really bad for me on vessel even using their HD setting.

Also I think i would be more willing to pay 3$ a month for early access / no ads elswhere on the page besides a very short  preroll from what i have seen then any of youtubes  ads.

I also hope that this type of system keep the troll post and comments to a min and more on track.

Nice to hear that you're enjoying the layout and comments! I think the design on Vessel is a huge selling point.

Let's hope so! Thanks for your support!

Are they paying you guys enough for this? Would you make more money through vessel than a service like Paetron or pimping your own contribute thing more?

Can't comment on the financial components of the deal, sorry.

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding about vessel in the comments I've been trying to help explain in the comments on youtube @HardCore parkour, what people need to realize is if you don't want to support LMG with vessel thats fine, you won't see any difference with content, just act like you never saw this video and everything will seem normal :) however I personally signed up for vessel ;)

Hah, YouTube comments are a lost cause... Glad you're now in the place where meaningful discussion can be had :D

Exactly. That's the only way it made sense for us, so we made it a reality.

Thank you for supporting!!!

That plataform seems cool enough,but one thing that bugs me is that it lacks the playback speed control on the player.

I follow a lot of channels and i usually watch videos at 1.5x to save time.

By the way,what currently benefit you guys most,us watching/liking the video on youtube or on vessel?

PM me and I'll follow up with them about it when I can.

Tough to say which is better at this point, so just support us on whichever platform you prefer :)

Hey Guys,

Vessel doesnt seem to have an app for android that I can find. (Im not sure about IOS, I dont have it)  Are there plans to be one? or will you have to watch it in-browser forever, as that's a bit akward. As I dont always have a computer with me, going between houses etc, but I always have my phone.

Thanks, Dravedon

No app yet from what I've seen - hopefully we'll find out more soon. Unfortunately I can't comment on that. I have to assume they will have a mobile app as so much of the industry is going that way, but I can't say for sure!

Hello,

Will ALL of the video on Vessel after a delay will be posted on youtube? Or Vessel will have exclusice content ?

Good luck guys !

10x

All videos will be posted to YouTube after the delay, and timely content will be posted to both platforms at the same time.

Thank you! And thank you for the support!

If I pay for something like that, why the hell would I want ads?  The reason I pay for things that are normally free are to remove ads.  That's the reason I cancelled my Hulu subscription the first month.  The commenting system looks cool and all, but doesn't seem interactive at all.  Any the most annoying thing of all that makes NO sense is the inability to middle click on links/videos to open them in new tabs.

But, you've gotta make money and with Google turning into asshats I can't blame you for figuring out a new way.  I'll be sticking to the random stuff that makes it to YouTube until you end that.  Vessel offers nothing to me so I won't be watching there.

I've already addressed the middle click issue with them - I hope it will be fixed soon as that is a pretty big issue.

All of our content will still be posted to YouTube, so you can still catch every one of our videos over there :)

It's like consoles vs. PCs, and LinusMediaGroup is Ubisoft. You're giving "Vessel peasants" access first, but at lower resolution and quality.

LOL! I guess you could say that... The master race is used to waiting, right?... GTA5 anyone?... Sorry, too soon, too soon...

I'm hoping Vessel will address their quality issues soon.

Great idea, I wish you all the best. I think it's time for everyone to stop sucking on Youtube's nip and starts looking for other sources. You've made the jump look easy even though I bet it wasn't, that's signs of a good team.

USERNAME: iamraymondjames

LINK: https://www.vessel.com/videos/JYZEYDYx0

LINK: https://www.vessel.com/videos/G-DUjgUyY

Thank you for the support! It definitely was not easy, but we were either going to make it work or not support the platform at all. So we made it work! :)

But please make sure you post that info in http://bit.ly/linusgiveaway, we won't be counting entries from this thread as it is for feedback not the giveaway!

Tried vessel.. i think it's fine, and an easy way to support the channel. The 1year sub is great.

Youtube is just better and i wish we could support u more on that platform: i'm thinking like some donations or a 5$ subscription form like twitch, but a the end this channel/s is far from a "one man team" and u need more than that.. so yeah, vessel is a fine way to go.

Thanks for your support!

Right now the improved quality on YouTube is a pretty nice addition. Would be nice to add that, but who knows how well that implementation would actually work.

I have always done the best i could to help but this...well not this time.Yes i will sing up for a year and watch the videos maybe share them just so you guys can have a good start but to be honest i am not sure how much i am going to use that platform.Maybe is good,i don't deny it but it doesn't have as much content as youtube,the interface is not something i am used to and pay to watch the videos...i undertand that you need money and youtube is not the solutions but neither is this.I would rather become a silver or gold contributor here and keep watching youtube than paying for a platform which i may never use.The video quality is...well not the best and the way the site look...god why it has to be all black and so "futuristic" and what's with those letter in the comment section.Another this is the mistake you made of giving some exclusive videos to that platform.People using yt will get angry.Sorry or not sorry i am not going to enter the giveaway first because many people will come just for the prizes many of which most likely never saw as much content as i did from you guys in the past 3 years and i am not ok with giving away linus's own pc.

On a second thought.maybe...but maybe i will keep subscribing to that vessel thing not because is something i want to do but because you guys deserve help.Why i did say i would most likely never use it?Because ltt is the only reason i got an account there and am i not going to watch another content creators since i am not interested in that platform.

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

I have a really BIG question related to VESSEL, WHY DOES VESSEL NOT HAVE AN ANDROID APP!!? 

Please let me know Linus. This is so not 2015 for Vessel.   :(